NFL Draft notes: Swinney 'disappointed' teams passed on Boyd

Mark Crammer Independent Mail

Clemson wide receiver Sammy Watkins, top, prepares to catch a pass from quarterback Tajh Boyd as they work out at Clemson's Pro Timing Day for NFL scouts at the Clemson Indoor Facility on Thursday. Mark Crammer Independent Mail

Clemson, S.C.—Bashaud Breeland, Martavis Bryant and Tajh Boyd were all selected in the 2014 NFL Draft on Saturday afternoon in New York City. The three selections give Clemson five players selected over the three days of the selection process. It marked the sixth straight year that Clemson had at least four players selected, the longest streak by an ACC school since a 10-year streak by Florida State from 1992-2001.

Getting drafted from Clemson is a good indicator of making it in the league. Each of the last 26, and 41 of the last 43 Clemson players selected have gone on to play in the NFL. Clemson had 27 former players on an NFL roster prior to this weekend’s draft.

“I am very excited about the opportunities in front of our former players based on the draft and free agent signings this weekend,” said Head Coach Dabo Swinney. “This is realizing a dream for so many players. What they do with the opportunity is what is important now.

“I was disappointed in that a lot of teams passed on Tajh until the sixth round. He is a great player and I think the Jets got a steal getting him in the sixth round. I told Andre Ellington last year when he was taken in the sixth round by the Cardinals that same thing. Last year he led the NFL in yards per carry and is going to be their starting running back this coming year.

“Like Sammy going to Buffalo, this is a great situation for Tajh. Rex Ryan knows what he can do and how hard a worker he is. Tajh will be reunited with Dalton Freeman and will have Jacoby Ford to throw to.”

One Thursday night, Sammy Watkins was selected in the first round by the Buffalo Bills, the number-four selection of the draft. Brandon Thomas was chosen in the third round by the San Francisco 49ers, the 100th pick of the draft.

Four other players signed free agent contracts on Sunday. Kicker Chandler Catanzaro, Clemson’s all-time leading scorer with 404 points, signed with the Arizona Cardinals. Offensive guard Tyler Shatley and linebacker Spencer Shuey signed with the Jacksonville Jaquars and defensive back Darius Robinson signed with the Buffalo Bills. Quandon Christian signed with the Washington Redskins.

Forty-six former Clemson football players have gone on to play in an NFL game after signing a free agent contract. Jaron Brown made the Arizona Cardinals as free agent in 2014.

Other Notes on the draft

*Four of the five Clemson players drafted this year were offensive players. The list of offensive players includes wide receivers Sammy Watkins (1st round, Buffalo Bills) and Martavis Bryant (4th round, Pittsburgh Steelers), the first time Clemson has had more than one receiver taken in the same draft since 1979 when Jerry Butler, Dwight Clark and Stan Rome were all selected.

* This marks the first time Clemson has had a quarterback and a receiver taken in the same draft since 1979 when quarterback Steve Fuller went in the first round to the Kansas City Chiefs. As stated above, Clemson had three receivers taken in the 1979 draft.

*Thomas was selected late Friday night by the San Francisco 49ers in the third round with the 100th pick. That was the highest round and the highest selection for a Clemson offensive lineman since 1979 when Joe Bostic was the 64th overall selection in the third round by the St. Louis Cardinals.

*The only Clemson defensive player taken this year was Bashaud Breeland. The cornerback was selected in the fourth round, the 102nd overall pick, by the Washington Redskins. He hopes to join former Clemson defensive tackle Jarvis Jenkins with the Redskins defense.

*Florida State led all ACC teams in drafted players with seven. Clemson and North Carolina were tied for second with five apiece.

columbiabill writes:

Tajh, what to say? My opinion is that he is a much better player than a 6th round draft pick indicates. I think he is a heck of a hard worker and obviously a leader. However, and maybe I am wrong, I feel like he took the NFL draft process a little too lightly. An example is the picture of him using the Cowboys video board for for playing games. No knock on this, but being drafted in the NFL is serious business. I think he was not prepared mentally for the Senior Bowl and this is the one thing that sent his draft status tumbling and he could never recover. I think he has the chance to be a really good QB in the NFL but he has a couple of good ones in front of him in NY, but I think once in the organization he will prove himself.

BrandonRink writes:

in response to columbiabill:

Re: video games. I believe he had a sponsorship with Playstation. They did a series on him leading up to the draft.

bighotel44#293268 writes:

in response to columbiabill:

I agree with your Senior Bowl analogy. It's hard to imagine maybe the best quarterback in ACC history by the numbers had to wait so long. But going to the Jets is a major plus for him with his relationship with Coach Ryan already pretty solid. I thin Tajh will be around for a long, long time in the NFL.

Tajh represented Clemson well. He was a good leader and showed flashes of talent. That said, I am not surprised by his draft position. Consistency was always a challenge for Tajh. He would make some phenomenal passes and then totally miss on a screen pass or 10 yard pass. At times, it was hard to watch.
I really wish him the best. Maybe his determination and character will carry him. If not in the NFL, I think he will succeed elsewhere.

waran writes:

in response to Bigboots:

I agree. I am glad he was at Clemson, represented the University well, is a good leader and has great determination. But he was not consistent. In some games he was awful. I am glad he WAS drafted, so many other comparable QBs did not (e.g., Shaw). Given who is ahead of him, I doubt he will get an opportunity in the near future. But given his personality, I am sure he will do well in his life. I enjoyed watching him (most of the time) and wish him the very best.

gamecockg writes:

If Sweeney is so disappointed in Tahj's placing, then why don't he give some of that cash that he received from Clemson over to him? Since as his coach, Dabo told him to come back for his senior year, to improve his stock. How did he not see that last year after the LSU game, he was projected to go late 1st round? Maybe it was out of greed for himself that he wanted to try to win more games that he screwed over Boyd? In the future, hopefully Sweeney will be an honest man instead of thinking of himself first. Maybe this won't happen again.... whoops too late! Beasley should've went this year but it looks like another 6th rounder! Hope you can sleep at night Dabo with that big fat contract you received (8 years @ 27.15 million).

I honestly feel sorry for Tajh because if he were under a real coach, then he would've been encouraged to go pro last year and allow Stout to take his place. Maybe he lacked confidence in stout? regardless, it looks like another good year for the Gamecocks this year!

SlappleDapple writes:

Great. That's all we need around here, another ignorant chicken throwing in his two cents. Fair market value for their useless blathering.

Tajh is his own man. Dabo didn't make him do anything. He was given a mid-round grade which is a big reason he came back.

cwby writes:

in response to gamecockg:

Maybe you "should've went" to English class. How about the two juniors from usc who did not get drafted.

gamecockg writes:

in response to cwby:

You are probably right about not going to English class as much as I should have. But I do know that you should have capitalized USC. And I did go to math class and know that 5+1=6! IN YOUR FACE!

USC is in California, son.
usc is the dump in columbia.

TigerFan95 writes:

in response to gamecockg:

Tahj was only projected as a mid to late round pick after last year’s victory over LSU, and as a general a rule of thumb Dabo encourages all players to return if they are not projected to go in the 2nd round or higher. Spurrier follows that same general rule. And if Dabo isn’t a real coach then I guess Santa Claus has been putting those quite large trophies in the Jervey Athletic Center trophy case the last 5 years. You know, the one that says ACC Champions and the other one with all the oranges in it…But of course, as a Lamecock fan you wouldn’t know what those look like would you.

clemvol writes:

I believe Tahj Boyd ='s Charlie Whitehurst in the NFL but only time will tell and i have no problem being proven wrong and hope i am. As far as "slurrier" is concerned i can't think of one Quarterback under his coaching that has made an impact in the NFL. Come to think about it he didn't make an impact in the NFL.

in response to clemvol:

Well said.
Wait, what?

TigerFan95 writes:

in response to clemvol:

You're right clemvol, I always scratch my head in wonderment when I hear all the ESECPN ditto heads refer to Steve Spurrier as a "QB guru". That has to be the biggest lie in college football. The guy has never produced a decent NFL QB in his entire career and has been at SC for 10 years and hasn’t had a single QB drafted--nope not one single one.

gamecockg writes:

we will see the LOVE you have for COACH DODO after Nov 29. SIX STRAIGHT.

Bleedsorange writes:

Hooked on phonics, look it up, post a link on a chicken site. All of the trolls that preceded you need it as well.

TigerNE writes:

in response to gamecockg:

we will see the LOVE you have for COACH DODO after Nov 29. SIX STRAIGHT.

Too bad it doesn't make your program significant in the SEC or get you to BCS bowl games.

gamecockg writes:

in response to TigerNE:

must hurt like #ell not to win in your on state.I knew clemsux was not going to join the SEC. #ussy

Clemson and usc have the same number of sec championships.

TigerFan95 writes:

in response to Bigboots:

Clemson and usc have the same number of sec championships.

And always will.

TigerFan95 writes:

Tulane & GT have more SEC championships than SC.

TigerFan95 writes:

in response to gamecockg:

No, actually it's quite nice knowing that even after losing 5 years in a row we still have more to brag about than you guys EVER will...And we would never the join the SEC because it would require us to drop our academic standards to cro-magnon level.

clemvol writes:

in response to gamecockg:

we will see the LOVE you have for COACH DODO after Nov 29. SIX STRAIGHT.

If it becomes 6 straight then we will deal with it on our terms but if it doesn't become 6 straight then be prepared. You really won't be able to handle it. I know you "chickadee" fans better than you know yourselves. So again, be ready.

in response to gamecockg:

we will see the LOVE you have for COACH DODO after Nov 29. SIX STRAIGHT.

The longest Clemson winning streak over South Carolina is 7 between 1934-1940.

YabbaDaboDooDoo writes:

Of course Swinney is going to say he's disappointed by his draft position. But I think the real reason he slipped so far is that in the biggest games he looked inconsistent at best and completely lost at worst. He had gaudy numbers playing in a division that with the exception of FSU is made up of inferior football programs. But he couldn't win the big games. He went 0-for-Gamecock in his career and had 2 massive beatdowns of epic proportion against WV and FSU where it looked as though someone else stole his uniform.

We can talk about height, arm strength, speed, the senior bowl, the combine but the most important attribute to an NFL QB is mental toughness. And that's not something Tajh Boyd is known for.

TigerFan95 writes:

in response to YabbaDaboDooDoo:

I guess playing lights-out in wins over Auburn (twice), LSU, UGA and Ohio St weren’t “big games”?

in response to YabbaDaboDooDoo:

Where was connor shaw drafted? I watched a good bit and never saw him.
While you're at it, how about a quick update on stephen car-key-uh

TheTruth46 writes:

in response to Bigboots:

USC is in California, son.
usc is the dump in columbia.

If USC is in California son...you, Blabbo, and the rest of you Clemmers better find out who that school is in Columbia that keeps kickin' your rearends. And by the way, Clemmons is so insignificant, it's been taken off the map. It only states in the left upper corner...Directions to Clemmons..north 'til you smell it...west 'til you step in it.

clemvol writes:

in response to TheTruth46:

And why did Forrest Gump choose Alabama over "south caroslima"?..........He wanted an academic challenge.

TigerFan95 writes:

in response to TheTruth46:

The only thing unique about Columbia, SC is that it's the only city in America where there's a church and robbery on almost every corner.

Columbia, SC..Two hours from the beach, two hours from the mountains and just minutes from nothing.

TheTruth46 writes:

in response to clemvol:

You Clemmers should know about the Forrest Gump types, you've certainly had more than your share. And besides, there is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to go to the SC School of Agriculture. As the old saying goes..if you can't go to college...go to Clemmons. By the way my friend, I don't remember hearing from you about your Tigger and Vile baseball teams this year. I seem to remember them being 0-6 against my chickens.

YabbaDaboDooDoo writes:

I feel like I'm watching 2 idiots fight over whose outhouse smells the best.

clemvol writes:

in response to TheTruth46:

Everybody knows the ones that don't have the grades to get into Clemson have to step down and go to usc ( university of southern chumps ). As far as baseball goes i've been to busy watching the grass grow.

clemvol writes:

in response to YabbaDaboDooDoo:

I feel like I'm watching 2 idiots fight over whose outhouse smells the best.

Sounds like you own several outhouses along with a limited supply of Sears Catalogs.

TheTruth46 writes:

in response to YabbaDaboDooDoo:

I feel like I'm watching 2 idiots fight over whose outhouse smells the best.

Are you addressing me with this quaint little remark young fella?

TheTruth46 writes:

in response to clemvol:

Speaking of chumps and watching the grass grow...that would be your Clemmons and Viles baseball teams.

TheTruth46 writes:

in response to clemvol:

In response to Doodoo's remarks. Suggestion to a moron where to locate that unpleasant outhouse aroma you detected...check your upper lip...you'll find it there.