More than crab legs: Jameis Winston's 'incidents' continue to accumulate

'Uncharged' police incident records involving Heisman Trophy winner include BB gun battle, unpaid soft drink refills

Jameis Winston (AP Photo)

Jameis Winston (AP Photo)

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. — Heisman Trophy winner Jameis Winston was issued a civil citation after sheriff's deputies said he walked out of a supermarket without paying for $32 worth of crab legs and crawfish.

The 20-year-old Florida State quarterback said he forgot to pay for the food. The offense was relatively minor but drew attention both because of his stature and because it was his latest brush with the law. Winston had been the subject of a much more serious, monthslong investigation into allegations that he had sexually assaulted a woman in December 2013. A prosecutor declined to charge him, citing a lack of evidence and gaps in the accuser's story.

Leon County Sheriff's Maj. Michael Wood said Wednesday that Publix employees called deputies, who went to Winston's apartment about three hours later. Winston was cooperative and told the deputies he forgot to pay for the food, but he did not contact the store or return there to pay for the items, Wood said.

"The facts are not in dispute," Wood said. "He left without paying."

Winston issued a statement through his lawyer saying he had intended to pay, "but made a terrible mistake for which I'm taking full responsibility. In a moment of youthful ignorance, I walked out of the store without paying for one of my items.

"I realize that I am in the public spotlight and my conduct needs to be above reproach."

The 6-foot-4, 235-pound Winston led Florida State to an undefeated season and national football championship. For the season, he passed for more than 4,000 yards and 40 touchdowns, completing nearly 67 percent of his throws.

Florida State baseball coach Mike Martin suspended Winston, a relief pitcher, indefinitely until he completes community service. Football coach Jimbo Fisher said in a statement that he supports Martin's decision.

Although Winston was cleared in the sexual assault case, the university is facing a federal investigation into how it handled the woman's accusations.

The investigation lagged for months after Tallahassee Police Department officials said they were told the accuser wanted to drop the case, but the woman's lawyer denied that. The accuser's lawyers have said the police department botched the investigation because detectives didn't quickly identify possible witnesses or obtain surveillance tape from the bar where the victim says she was first approached by Florida State football players.

Winston also has had two other run-ins with police, though he was not charged in either case.

In November 2012, police were called to an apartment complex in which 13 windows had been damaged by BB guns. Winston and his roommate at the time said Florida State players were engaged in a series of "battles" with each other, although they denied shooting BB guns themselves.

In another incident, police records show Winston came into a Burger King with three men but did not order food, instead asking for a water cup he repeatedly filled with soda over an employee's objections. The report says Winston was never interviewed about the incident because the restaurant declined to prosecute.

kellytown writes:

Million dollar athlete. 10 cent brain!!! Thats what happens when this kind of idiot gets a pass from justice!!! it just continues. How stupid can you be keep tuned in, I don't think you have heard the last of this individual.

I am inclined to agree with kellytown. Winston is a gifted athlete.
But he seems to think that whatever he wants should be a gift as well. Odds are he'll be in trouble again before long.

waran writes:

If the University and the law fail to take action because he is a good athlete, he will turn out to be a big liability to the society. Is this what we want as a taxpayer? Is this what FL State expects from its students or does it have another policy for its athletes?

clemvol writes:

Some folks say the whole story may be "fishy" but i think the manager caught him by using "live bait".

tigerrob44#291802 writes:

He's a two bit hoodlum that should be kicked off the football team and put in jail for a while That's the difference in how Dabo runs our program compared to FSU and how Jimbo Fisher runs their program.

tigerrob44#291802 writes:

in response to kellytown:

He has quite a while to go before he gets out of school. I doubt seriously if he leaves FSU like normal folks, thru graduation or early drafting by some sport. At the rate he is going, he will end up in jail or no less than being kicked off the team and out of school. FSU will be pressured to get rid of him and they will yield to all the negativity of this guy and his foolishness. His days are numbered as a football player at FSU. Wait and see.

TheTruth46 writes:

in response to tigerrob44#291802:

Tigger Robbie..the pot shall not call the kettle black. Perhaps you should recant your comments. Do you recall when Slammy Potkins was caught with reefer in his car? Which is the greater crime..stealing crab legs or possessing and smoking some mary jane...an illegal substance? Take off the blinders and uringe glasses Robbie, and get in the game.

in response to TheTruth46:

In response to the above, stealing is worse.
Smoking weed does not deprive a third party of property.

FlopEye writes:

in response to Bigboots:

In response to the above, stealing is worse.
Smoking weed does not deprive a third party of property.

I agree with Bigboots. Stealing crablegs is a heck-
of-lot worse than beating a woman with a shower curtain. After all, the bi*** needed to be put in her place.

FlopEye writes:

in response to tigerrob44#291802:

You are so self-rightously pathetic.
See my comment to Bigboots.
Your hypocrisy is stunning, myopic and
delusional. What planet are you from ?

YabbaDaboDooDoo writes:

in response to Bigboots:

In response to the above, stealing is worse.
Smoking weed does not deprive a third party of property.

That's a matter of opinion. As far as I know, stealing crab legs doesn't fund Mexican cartels that kill thousands of people every year. But tell yourself whatever helps you sleep at night. Maybe Sammy is an amateur gardener and grew it himself. Yeah, that's it.

harryD writes:

All you coots are showing your colors. Weed....really..Mexican cartels...yeah they wanna control weed ....that's where the money is. Chances are that pot was grown right here in sc. And if you think this is the first time jamis got complementary crab legs your crazy. Perhaps the bigger question is why no credit for the crawfish?

harryD writes:

Oh yeah its legal in home states of both Super Bowl teams so quit

YabbaDaboDooDoo writes:

in response to harryD:

I was kidding about the amateur gardening stuff but you appear to be serious. So you're telling me Sammy's a responsible dope-smoker? He made sure it was non-conflict dope? "Excuse me sir, did that dope come from Mexico? It did? I'm sorry, I'll have to pass." What a great guy!

You're just wrong. Find where Clemson is on the map. If you need help, ask a couple of friends and I'm sure you can figure it out as a group. See all the little red dots in western NC, upstate SC, and Atlanta? That's cartel presence. They've got a sophisticated distribution network. The chances are that if Sammy didn't grow it then it came from Mexico. And if you're smoking stuff that you didn't grow, then you're most likely funding cartels which means you've got blood on your hands.

Let me know if you find any news about murderous crableg-shoplifting Mexican cartels. I might be open to changing my opinion.

YabbaDaboDooDoo writes:

in response to harryD:

Oh yeah its legal in home states of both Super Bowl teams so quit

Well then I hope he plays for 1 of those teams and only buys dope legally so he can stop funding murderers. And thanks for your weak attempt at rationalization.

TigerFan95 writes:

in response to YabbaDaboDooDoo:

I'm sure there are no funders of the murdering Mexican drug cartels on SC's football roster, but perhaps we should ask Michael Phelps.

harryD writes:

Well I know where you MIGHT could find a crustacean loving rapist...but still no one is taking about the crawfish. In other words I support Sammy fully.

waran writes:

Sammy is going to Bills and Jameis will be going to Prison. Time will tell and the truth will become evident. I don't wish that on Jameis, but I will blame Florida State University if they cant teach what is important to one of their best STUDENT athletes.

YabbaDaboDooDoo writes:

in response to TigerFan95:

I have no idea about SC's roster. I could care less about SC or Michael Phelps. For all we know, Winston may do it too. My original intent was to point out that buying and smoking dope was worse than shoplifting crablegs since there's a strong possibility of funding murdering drug cartels knowingly or not. Without US demand there are no mexican cartels, just poor mexican common criminals.

It's just funny how many comments there are here for a simple shoplifting case and yet anyone in orange can do no wrong. You and I both know that if Winston was caught smoking pot and Watkins stole crablegs that your opinion would be the exact opposite. I get it though. Winston wasn't the QB of Wake Forest, he was QB of the FSU team that beat Clemson silly on national TV. So pile on if you want. I'll continue to point out your orange-colored hypocrisy.

harryD writes:

Yabba your right Sammy is a cartel now leave