RALEIGH, N.C. - Alejandro Augusto defeated Thomas Weigel at number-three singles in what proved to be the clinching match as No. 22 Clemson defeated No. 43 N.C. State in an Atlantic CoastConference men’s tennis match Saturday afternoon.
With the victory, Clemson improves to 17-3 overall, and 4-1 in the ACC. N.C. State falls to 11-7 overall and 0-5 in league play.
At number-one singles 82nd-ranked Hunter Harrington of Clemson upset 47th-ranked Austin Powell in straight sets 6-4, 6-3.
The doubles team of Harrington and Dominique Maden defeated Robbie Mudge and Ian Dempster of N.C. State 8-7 in clinching the doubles point for the Tigers. Harrington and Maden are ranked 25th nationally as a doubles team.
Clemson plays Wake Forest Sunday afternoon at 1 p.m. at Winston-Salem.
Clemson 4, N.C. State 3
1. #82 Hunter Harrington (CU) d. #47 Austin Powell (NCS) 6-4, 6-3
2. Robbie Mudge (NCS) d. Dominique Maden (CU) 6-4, 7-5, 6-2
3. Alejandro Augusto (CU) d. Thomas Weigel (NCS) 6-2, 2-6, 6-4
4. Austin Ansari (CU) d. Sean Weber (NCS) 6-1, 6-3
5. Simon Norenius (NCS) d. Luke Johnson (CU) 6-0, 6-2
6. Parker McGuiness (NCS) d. Robert Dudley (CU) 6-3, 6-3
1. #25 Harrington/Maden (CU) d. #50 Mudge/Ian Dempster (NCS) 8-7
2. Weber/Norenius (NCS) d. Augusto/Dudley (CU) 8-7
3. Ansari/Johnson (CU) d. Powell/Weigel (NCS) 8-5