Clemson coach Dabo Swinney addressed the media after the Tigers' fifth practice of spring...
Clemson practice report - 3/12
First 'live' work a success
* Swinney was impressed with the young defensive backs and more Tigers during "live" work to close out the practice sessions before spring break. Mackensie Alexander "jumps out at you. Every day he gets after the ball. Adrian Baker is another. Every day he's getting an interception. Maybe one of the best moves we've made is T.J. Green (to safety). He's different. We don't have many guys that move like he moves. He has a chance to be something else at safety." Alexander has talent, "but a lot of guys have talent. It's the competitive fire. The will to get better. His willingness to study. His willingness to learn from mistakes. He's very engaged in the process. He's hungry." Competes every snap.
Clemson senior defensive tackle Deshawn Williams identified Baker and Alexander among the veteran defense's vocal leaders Wednesday as well.
* Swinney identified offensive tackle and kicker as key spots to fill, and he says Ammon Lakip has missed one kick all spring so he's feeling good there. Lakip has been a spring MVP and that started in practice last year. “We are going to be fine at quarterback, we are going to be fine at running back and we are going to be fine at wide receiver. We may be inexperienced, but we have talented players at those positions. We must develop at offensive tackle. We need some players to step up there.
“I also said before practice started that I was concerned as to whom would take over for our all-time leading scorer ( Chandler Catanzaro). But, Ammon Lakip has been outstanding. He has missed just one kick, and that was a 53-yarder last Saturday. He then came back and made the next kick. We all know how critical that position is. If I had to call out a bright spot so far, it would be Ammon.”
* Clemson freshman RB Wayne Gallman was "outstanding" during the live work.
* Swinney said it's too early on naming a leader among the QBs again, but he reiterated he doesn't have a problem playing more than one. Has full confidence they will have a top notch QB against Georgia.
* No live work for the quarterbacks during spring game and the rosters will split like usual.
* Sophomore wide receiver Germone Hopper had a good Wednesday practice and has been "electrifying at times." Mike Williams has been "inconsistent." Adam Humphries has "been by far (Clemson's) best guy." "Very encouraged by the three young guys...Demarre Kitt has the total package. He's going to be a dynamic guy for us as he matures."
Mackensie Alexander is 'driven'
Redshirt frosh is turning heads
* Clemson will not practice again until Monday, March 24, as Clemson starts Spring Break on Saturday. The Tigers are preparing for the Spring Game at Death Valley on April 12.