Ibrahim Djambo transferring from Clemson

Clemson men's basketball player Ibrahim Djambo, right, with girlfriend Kama Dembele of New York, look at buildings and lights of Times Square in the city.

Photo by Ken Ruinard

CLEMSON, S.C. - Ibrahim Djambo is transferring from Clemson, the athletic department announced today. Djambo played just one season after transferring from Three Rivers Community College in Missouri last spring.

"We thank Ibi for the hard work he has given to our program over the past year," said head men's basketball coach Brad Brownell. "He was an outstanding student and a great teammate, and I'm sorry to see him leave. We wish him the best in the future."

Djambo averaged 1.9 points per game in 32 appearances this past season, playing 9.2 minutes per game as a reserve power forward.

"I really appreciated the opportunity to be here at Clemson," Djambo said. "My reasons for leaving are personal; I really liked my teammates and coaches. Since I've been in America, I've never been on a team like that, where you were always around everyone else. It created memories I'll take with me the rest of my life. I wouldn't trade it for anything."

fasttiger44#293363 writes:

Why are so many people transferring out of the basketball program? Or it seems like several have gone in the last year or so. Maybe I'm wrong and just have that in my head.

CUTigers1865 writes:

in response to fasttiger44#293363:

A lot of things can be the cause of a kid transferring. We also have some pretty good players coming in from what I've heard so that may be putting pressure on players as well. This kid said "personal matters" so I hope everything is good with him and his family. Also, his numbers weren't great, I believe we can replace a 2 point product very easily.

brookesdad729 writes:

in response to CUTigers1865:

I agree 100%! If he was a really productive player I'd be worried! That may be why he's transferring! Maybe he's going somewhere he can get more time to try to be productive.

fasttiger44#293363 writes:

in response to CUTigers1865:

Yea, I think you are right. We supposedly have some really good players coming in and maybe a couple of them saw the "hand writing on the wall" so to speak. Get out why the getting's good kink of think. I do hope this kid is okay and his personal reasons aren't anything too serious. I wish him the best.

YabbaDaboDooDoo writes:

This isn't about incoming players. They don't have any incoming post players. They're all guards/wings.

He should've never been offered to begin with. JUCOs only have 2 years max anyway so when you recruit one, he needs to be able to immediately play more than 9 minutes per game. Another recruiting whiff by Brownell.

SoCalTiger writes:

The new recruits coming in are not that great, as far as ACC talent goes. Just blips on the recruiting radar. Next year is going to be rough for this team. I'm still scratching my head over the 6-year deal for Brownell. I think it's going to be a tough road for years to come unless he can recruit and keep ACC caliber talent.