Deshaun Watson will play early and often, beginning with Georgia game

Coaches say high school experience in similar offense helping make freshman QB game-ready

Clemson quarterback Deshaun Watson (4) throws the ball during the first day of Spring practice on Wednesday.

Photo by Sefton Ipock

He's too good not to play.

That's just one of the reasons that Deshaun Watson will be on the field for the Tigers this fall, beginning with Clemson's opener against Georgia on August 30.

Offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Chad Morris shot down conventional wisdom - that Watson would have redshirted had Chad Kelly remained on the team - when he stated emphatically the coaching staff had already decided to play Watson this season.

"Deshaun wasn’t going to red-shirt anyway," Morris said. "He wasn’t going to red-shirt. He was that good. That was the consensus from the get-go, and that was the consensus after watching him the first couple of practices in the spring. We knew that he was going to be special."

Tigers have to play Watson

None

Morris said that Watson will play against Georgia in a role yet to be determined.

"What is his role and how much will he play that is all to be determined through the progress," Morris said. "We're excited about ( Cole) and he's our starter. But Deshaun is going to play."

There's more to that decision than Watson's considerable talent, Dabo Swinney said.

"We have to get him some experience as soon as possible because we don't have any experience outside of Cole," Swinney said. "That's been a real luxury for us for three years. We'll definitely have some kind of plan going into each game on how we want to get him in. We have to get him some experience as soon as possible."

Swinney said Watson is considerably more advanced as a first-year freshman than Tajh Boyd was as a redshirt sophomore - primarily because of his four years of experience running a similar offensive system at Gainesville (Georgia) High.

"The last time we had this situation was in 2011 when Kyle Parker was gone and Tajh Boyd was taking the reins and we had a first-year freshman named Cole Stoudt as the backup," Swinney said. "I'm sleeping a lot better than I was then.

"Tajh hadn't played much, and not only had he not played, it was a new system for him, plus everything was new as far as ball-handling and what we were teaching from a decision-making standpoint. The zone read was not something he had done. So it was a big learning curve.

"That's what Cole knows. He's prepared every week to be the starter, and he's done it before the live bullets. There's a lot of value in that.

"And then with Deshaun, not only did he go through spring, he's been doing what we do since he was 14 years old. We're not spending a lot of time talking about how to make the mesh with the back or how to read the end or the secondary and the second and third-level defenders. He already understands all that."

Stoudt sees Watson's progress

None

Swinney said he expects Watson to challenge Stoudt's position as the starter - a competition that he believes will help both players develop.

"Cole obviously wants to have a great year and lead this team to many wins," Swinney said. "But Deshaun's not going to sit over there and say 'OK, I'm the backup. I'll just stand over here and y'all tell me when to go in.' That's just not going to be the case.

"He's going to show up every day and try to win the job. That creates a sense of urgency and the type of environment we want."

brookesdad729 writes:

That's a no-brainer there! No other decent backup, only 1 year of Stoudt. Gotta have him game ready very quickly! As we used to say in the Navy he'll be getting his "sea legs" pretty fast as he's gonna hit rough seas early! Go Tigers!

clemvol writes:

I understand Watson has added some bulk and is over 200 lbs. This will be very helpful.

waran writes:

More importantly, i think Watson will be the last man standing by the end of the season. He is just too good.

TigerNE writes:

in response to clemvol:

I'm pretty sure he came in at 182 and is about 205 right now. In just 6 months they've put over 20 on him.

I read somewhere that the target was between 210 and 215. Why not 220?

f8thwlk writes:

in response to TigerNE:

I read somewhere that the target was between 210 and 215. Why not 220?

220 might limit his mobility. The goal is to add durability while not inhibiting mobility.

f8thwlk writes:

in response to waran:

I agree. If the coaches are pushing him like they seem to be then he will be the starter, probably sooner than later.

TigerFan95 writes:

Just from the eyeball test---whatever that’s worth--I’d say the guy is about 190-200 lbs. If so, that puts him at about the same size as Charlie Ward from FSU, a player Watson reminds me a lot of. If I remember correctly, Charlie did quite well at that weight and never got hurt, but of course that was over twenty years ago and players are bigger & faster now. I would like to see Watson gain about 10-15 more pounds just to be on the safe side.

clemvol writes:

in response to TigerFan95:

If he throws like Charlie Whitehurst and scrambles like Woody Dantzler i would say he can trouble for defenses.

harryD writes:

I am really counting on this guy to be unstoppable. Kinda seems like coaches have downplayed his progress now they said he will play against uga. Wonder what the chance is in a couple more weeks he is named the starter.