5-star DT Tim Settle in no hurry, will 'start over' recruiting process on Sept. 1

Penn State making a push to join Clemson, Alabama, Tennessee as favorites

Tim Settle (Photo courtesy of Roy Philpott, CUTigers.com)

Tim Settle (Photo courtesy of Roy Philpott, CUTigers.com)

Five-star defensive tackle Tim Settle of Manassas, Virginia is apparently in no hurry to make his college decision - to the point that he's 'starting over' in his recruiting evaluation.

In this case, his restart will begin with Alabama, Clemson and Tennessee at the top of his list, with Penn State pushing hard to make a move.

Recruiting analyst Phil Kornblut reported Wednesday that Settle told reporters at The Opening that he plans to start his recruiting over on September 1st, and that Clemson, Penn State and Tennessee have been reaching out to him the most.

"Everybody is trying to recruit me a little bit and telling me to go there," Settle told PennLive.com, referring to other players at The Opening giving him their best recruiting pitches. "They're doing what they're supposed to do. Nothing is really going to change for me."

Settle said he likely won't decide on a school until shortly before Signing Day in February, after making more visits in the fall and winter.

247Sports' 'Crystal Ball' ranks Clemson and Alabama as the favorites to land Settle, both at 24 percent, with Tennessee and Virginia at 16 percent.

Other recruiting notes from Kornblut in The State:

- DE Darian Roseboro of Lincolnton, North Carolina spoke on the phone Wednesday with Alabama coach Nick Saban. Clemson is also one of his six finalists.

- RB Ray Ray McCloud of Tampa will announce his decision on July 28th. Clemson is one of the main contenders along with Florida, Florida State, Miami, UCLA and Maryland.

- Junior OL Sean Pollard of Southern Pines, North Carolina has picked up an offer from Clemson. He camped at Clemson last month.

TigerFan95 writes:

This is beginning to sound like another Nkemdiche story..I would love to have the guy and we shouldn't stop recruiting him, but I hope we're pursuing other options.

robtthetiger44#293707 writes:

I wouldn't spend another minute trying to get this guy. We threw everything we had at him and it seems like he's not happy with Clemson so fine...go somewhere else. We can win without you, big boy.

robtthetiger44#293707 writes:

We can't get them all and if they don't like what we have at Clemson then please go somewhere they have a nicer, bigger stadium and run on the field straight out of the dressing room. Running down the hill is what every college football fan knows that it is Clemson when it is mentioned. All 116 other teams run out of the dressing rooms. We have a beautiful campus with everything within 5 minutes walking distance to Death Valley. WE have the best of the best of facilities. Maybe our academic standards are too much for some of them and I understand that but just to go around after almost committing to Clemson seems to me a little foolish. Of course, Settle will get to see some good college games this year as he leaves all teams hanging. Like I said, don't waste another minute on him. He knows what we have and if it's not good enough please go somewhere else because we will be just as good without you.

TigerNE writes:

I don't get why people get tense or angry when a recruit holds out. Is holding out until the official signing day that strange? Why have a date at all if that's the case.

Somewhere I read a quote from him that he has a lot of factors he wants to evaluate and that keeps him from being in a rush. Not every kid has to decide early. I think Swinney, Reed, and Venables will continue to work him. And he's said some good things about them, so it's working for now.

robtthetiger44#293707 writes:

in response to TigerNE:

I think you are right in what you said. I overreacted to what he said only because everything written about him before camp and all lead me at least to think he was ready to commit. If I were s senior in high school I would wait until singing day. Why not take advantage of all the nice trips and see everywhere and everything? He doesn't have to ssay I;m comiming to Clemson or Alabama until next Feb. You are right and I was wrong. I had a problem with my knee when I was writing both of my comments. I apalogize to all that read my commits if you had any kind of problem with what I said.

TigerFan95 writes:

in response to TigerNE:

I'm neither tense nor angry. I just don't think we should be wasting our effort on this guy if he's truly not interested in coming to Clemson. Like I said, I don't think we should drop recruiting him altogether, but just back off some and pursue other targets. He should know what we have to offer by now and there's no need to try the hard-sell approach. It only makes us look desperate. If Settle is truly interested in playing for Clemson, he'll come calling. Otherwise good luck to him on his choice.

TigerNE writes:

My view is that the coaches have a good deal of experience and success in recruiting, especially Swinney and Venables who have been doing it for a decade or longer. So, if they continue to pursue a kid it must mean they see that he can be landed.

I think Nkemdiche is an example of one that was a success, and we should hope it repeats with Settle. The coaches landed the recruit only to be eventually reversed by a micromanaging parent. The coaches did their job with the recruit. There is no reason to believe Settle will be victim of the same thing. And I take Settle's mention of Clemson with only two other programs at the top of his list as a success at this point, too.

And you are right they shouldn't be wasting too much time at this stage. Is there something you see that makes you think they might? I see they are juggling options beyond Settle, like Tuttle and the Juco player D.J. Jones. Not sure getting Juco player is any easier for us yet though. And Trent Thompson still has us on his short list, even though I don't believe he'll choose outside of the SEC or maybe even outside of GA.

I like landing Cervenka so far, too. The transition from being a top wrestler to a good D linemen is pretty easy.