Clemson, Dabo Swinney agree to new 8-year contract

Swinney: “The future of Clemson University is extremely bright and the future of our football program is as well.'

Football - Head coach Dabo Swinney speaks at the annual team banquet

Football - Head coach Dabo Swinney speaks at the annual team banquet

Clemson cemented its relationship with Dabo Swinney on Saturday, as the university's board of trustees approved a new eight-year, $27 million contract heavily loaded with additional incentives based on performance.

The contract, a four-year extension and enhancement of his current deal, will raise Swinney's total compensation to $3.15 million in 2014, $3.3 million and then $3.45 million in each of the next six seasons. Bonuses and raises are built into the contract based on regular-season victories, ACC championships, College Football Playoff appearances and the team's academic success.

“Dabo is one of the top coaches not only in the ACC but in the entire nation,” said Clemson director of athletics Dan Radakovich in a statement. “His teams have succeeded on the field, in the classroom and in the community. We’re excited to have him lead our program for a long time into the future.”

One of the factors in the eight-year term of the contract was Swinney's desire for his sons to complete high school in Clemson. His youngest, Clay, is now a fourth-grader.

“I’m extremely excited and appreciative for the opportunity to continue to build our program under the leadership of President Jim Clements and our athletic director Dan Radakovich,” Swinney said. “The future of Clemson University is extremely bright and the future of our football program is as well.

“While we have accomplished many goals, we still have several out there to reach and we will continue to work to get there. Kathleen and I are looking forward to continuing to be a part of the great community of Clemson, the Upstate and the state of South Carolina.”

Beginning in 2016, Swinney's supplemental pay can increase between $100,000 and $300,000, based on nine or more regular-season wins. Increases earned will remain in effect for the duration of the contract.

Should the Tigers win the ACC title in any of the first three years of the contract, his total compensation would jump to $3.5 million the next year. He would earn an additional $400,000 should Clemson reach the four-team playoff and another $400,000 for a national title.

The contract includes an additional $25,000 for bowl appearances and $25,000 for bowl victories.

Should Clemson terminate Swinney without cause in the first three years, the school would be liable for the full remaining value of the contract. After that, the liability would be 75 percent of the contract's remaining value.

If another school were to hire Swinney, it would owe Clemson $5 million in the first three years of the contract, and then a decreasing amount in subsequent years.

The compensation package will make Swinney one of the nation's 15 highest paid coaches.

In his five and a half seasons at Clemson, Swinney has compiled a 51-23 overall record and a 33-12 mark against ACC competition. The Tigers have played in bowl games in each of his seasons, and have recorded three straight double-digit victory seasons – the first for the program since 1988-90. Clemson has won 11 games in back-to-back seasons for the first time in its history.

Clemson finished the 2013 season ranked seventh in the final USA Today Coaches’ Poll, the highest ranking in any final poll for the program since the Tigers won the national championship in 1981.

Swinney's record includes five victories over teams ranked in the top-10 in the last three years are exceeded only by Alabama and Oklahoma, who each have six.

Off the field, Swinney’s teams have finished among the nation’s top 10 in the NCAA’s Academic Progress Report each of the last three years. The program leads the ACC with 29 All-ACC Academic selections during Swinney's tenure.

Swinney has encouraged the participation of his players in various community service projects, and he and his wife's 'All In Foundation' has brought attention to education and health issues and has pledged nearly $1 million to local organizations over the past four years.

Big money.
I expect 8 straight wins over usc.
Dont care so much about the sc states, wofford, furman.
Win against sc or decline 1/12th of your salary.
Man up.

clemvol writes:

After 5 straight losses to the coots I suggested its time for a change. I want dabo to prove me wrong and I will man up myself. I have no problem eating crow but what will the consensus be if it becomes 6 in a row? Hypothetical? Yes. We will see when the most important game of the year takes place again.

bumpkin writes:

I'll eat crow too if this proves a good decision. Chad Morris ain't gonna a stay forever. Look at film who's coaching.

tigerrob44#291802 writes:

When Chad Morris goes, so goes the offense with him. I remember Bowden saying, "This is Clemson's offense, not Rich Rod's". Yea, remember what happened after Rich Rod left? So did that high powered offense. There are more good OC out there now that can manage a high octane offense as well as Chad can I imagine. When he goes I feel sure Dabo will get another highly successful offensive guru to come in. We got a good thing going right now so let's all be happy. We lost to an inferior SC team because we turned the ball over 6 times. In 2012 we got beat because we played them with our second and third string defense. Most of our first unit was out hurt and they burnt us on stupid defense on 3rd and 18 to go plays. When their lucky streak started in 2009 we had just beat them 9 out of 11 times dating back to 1998. We will get them and get them good next year in Death Valley. We have recruited better and finally have some stability. They were just plum lucky to win in 2013 and 2012. Did you watch the game this past year?

TheTruth46 writes:

in response to tigerrob44#291802:

Rob...ole buddy, I have no idea what you've been drinkin' or smokin', and don't care, but you need to stop. I am delighted, as you are, that Dabo has signed that contract. That only means that Carolina will continue to own you. Inferior team? Funny stuff my man. Interesting comment about a team that has treated you like a rented mule for 5 consecutive years. Yes, you had 6 turnovers, and I have watched that game numerous times. Perhaps you need to watch it again in slow motion, as 4 times Carolina just plain took the ball away. The Slammy Potkins pass was a terrible call. When Humpheries had the ball bounce off his pads, he was much more interested in getting hit than fielding the ball.The other 4 were just takeaways. Seems as though I heard that same bragging last year...how did that turn out for ya? If I were you, I wouldn't bet the farm on next years game. Good luck, me thinks you will need it.

brookesdad729 writes:

in response to TheTruth46:

Way to go! All in! Dabo is the best fit for this team and he will beat SC, as far as the chicken fan who posted, don't get it twisted, we will beat SC but just to let you know SC beating us means much more to them than it does to us because we have owned you for years now. SC hasn't been relevant for over a 100 years and now that they're winning a couple of games they think they're the gauge that college football is measured by. Win your conference championship (outright, not because you're waiting for someone to lose) and then come back and talk about something. Until then shut up!

DerrikB writes:

I am psyched about the upcoming Clemson defense. Gonna be great to see those guys do some damage.

radtiger writes:

in response to brookesdad729:

Those wins you are speaking of (against SC) can only be seen on the HISTORY CHANNEL.....GET OVER IT.....SC owns the TATER TOTS in Pickens county, forever talking about those wins over 5 yrs ago....Lets talk about whats RELEVANT NOW.....BTW, how did that over rated BCS BOWL GAME work for you?... Number 8 lmbo....A bunch of sore LOSERS always making excuses about Losing to SC....Go ahead and get started with the one you will use for 2014...Lets not forget that in 2012, they had players with health issues as well and they beat us using their 2nd string QB, Top Running back(Lattimore) was out and lets not forget that whipping took place in "DEATH VALLEY"....Win the In State RIVALRY game then we can talk , until why dont the tiger fans SHUT UP

BlueRidgeBengal writes:

and rad claims to be a tiger . . .

KIMOSAMI (Inactive) writes:

S.Carolina beat us five times in a row. Let's face it. It is the zenith of their existence. We have beaten them like the mediocre program that they were for all of history...for all of history. But that was then. For the last five years, they beat us.

There is no excuse. Forget the turnovers. Forget the fact that they have a drunk, stumblebum old has been as a coach. He was drinking heavy the last year when they beat us as well.

And history IS history. We can't bring up the fact that Clemson OWNS the series. And the fact that S.Carolina would have to win the next TWENTY FOUR straight years to even the series record....is not relevant.

Just like the last five years is not relevant.

We can start talking in Novemeber 2014....just like the fans of the drunk Otis Spurrier can then. The last five years is HISTORY. Just like the previous 100 or so years when Clemson dominated the teams of the old drunk ball sack's and pervert assistant coaches' fans, which is a euphemism for hens.

(radtiger...truth46....are either of you two either that Drunk old ball sack or his pervert assistant coach?)

tigerrob44#291802 writes:

in response to TheTruth46:

ToTruth44: You are a fruitcake! They took the ball one tine from us and that was when Tajh fumbled. That was a good play by SC. With no turnovers we would have blown you out and you and everybody else knows it. And we lost the ball they did not take it away. And if you must know, I was thinking about drinking Bud Light but don't drink anymore which is something I doubt you don't do.

harryD writes:

This is a good move Dabo has earned it. Few coaches can relate to players the way he can and that is why we get the recruits that we do. The program has been turned around much like how the OBS did in Carolina. And truth46 man I thought I looked at this sight a lot but you live here

TheTruth46 writes:

My goodness...did I blow up some skirts...or what? For my ole buds brookespop and Robbie. You fellas need to get a grip. It appears SC is extremely relevant in your eyes, based on your responses. Conference champ or not, any team that beats you 5 years in a row, all by double digits, better be relevant. You fellas are the champs at whining, sniveling, crying and making excuses. I would wager the two of you are working on this coming seasons contest, and why you lost...again. Now, for my ole friend, Goober Pyle(aka kimosammy), I find it hard to believe you are back for more. Your wattage rating must be extremely low. If Spurrier was drunk during the game, you might wish that he doesn't coach against you when sober. That could get ugly. Possibly you are half ostrich, or afflicted with glass navel syndrome. By the way, are your feet getting smaller? Hope you get better soon.

radtiger writes:

in response to KIMOSAMI:

Just like the last five years is not relevant.

Now that Dabo finally decides to stop SLEEPING with his mama, he can go out and have a drink with Spurrier because if he can out coach Dabo when hes DRUNK... them tigers better hope he doesnt Sober up....They would have a BEAT DOWN!

harryD writes:

in response to TheTruth46:

Hey Dirtpecker what do you guys have to hang your hat on beating Clemson. ..is that it...if you hadn't choked against UT and UGA then you might have something but I guess you guys pulled a Clemson huh..

TheTruth46 writes:

in response to harryD:

Hairy...Hairy, what a terrific response. Dirtpecker...too funny. Did you think that up all by yourself? If so, how long did it take you? You are correct, we did stumble twice this season. However, we still beat you...again. Now I'm not sure I can compete with such a quick witted and intelligent person as yourself, but, I do love a challenge. Upon departing at this time to watch the NFL, let me leave you with a friendly bit of advice Hairy, and I want you to take this seriously. If your IQ ever reaches 25...sell immediately...chances are it won't ever get any higher. Now, pull up your pants, wipe your nose, and run along and play, and please try to not hurt yourself.

BlueRidgeBengal writes:

Don't let the Trollth get you stirred up Hairy. It's called Orange Obsession and he's bathed in it. What else could explain the daily visits?

harryD writes:

in response to BlueRidgeBengal:

Fearith not for the troll knowith not what he sayith.

brookesdad729 writes:

in response to TheTruth46:

It's actually flattering that you would rather be on our site than your own. Considering as much time as you spend here, I question if you're a fan of any team! I know now from reading your posts, that you're posting from your computer, with Windows 98, in your mom and dad's basement. That being said, it doesn't bother me now because that's all that can be expected from a teenager!

radtiger writes:

in response to brookesdad729:

Going through great lengths trying to find out about the Rad Tiger...huh....I rather be a Troll than a Stalker

TheTruth46 writes:

in response to brookesdad729:

Dang...you have it all figured out, and I'm delighted you are flattered, but, you shouldn't be. You are far too sharp for me Pops. Oh well,can't win 'em all. Speaking of moms and dads....are your parents siblings? Just thinking outloud.

YabbaDaboDooDoo writes:

Your coach is 1-5 against your hated rival with all 5 losses in the last 5 games. And he's lost all 5 games by double-digits. He hasn't beaten SC since they took the interim tag off.

So what do you do? Give him an 8-year (EIGHT YEARS!!!!) contract. Pure stupidity. You don't need to guarantee 8 years. No one else is going to hire him.