Boys being boys: Spurrier and Swinney are at it again

The Clemson Sports Blog

South Carolina's Steve Spurrier and Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney shake hands before Saturday's rivalry game between the schools.

Photo by Sefton Ipock

The boys are at it again.

Steve Spurrier sniped at Dabo Swinney.

Swinney sniped back.

And then Spurrier held court.

That's the last word, at least for now.

"Two Capital One bowls are pretty nice, but the state championship ain't bad, either," crowed Spurrier on the awards stand in Orlando last week after the Gamecocks improved to 11-2 with their victory over Wisconsin.

“We’re the first team from the state of South Carolina to ever win a BCS game,” Swinney countered after the Tigers won their 11th game by beating sixth-ranked Ohio State in the Orange Bowl.

Spurrier's turn came again on Sunday in an interview with ESPN's Chris Low:

“Well, he’s right,” Spurrier said. “We’ve never even been to a BCS bowl. We can’t get invited. We’re in the SEC...

“I called Danny Ford and said, ‘Danny, does Dabo forget that Clemson in 1981 went down to the Orange Bowl, won the national championship and went undefeated?’ They didn’t call it a BCS bowl back then, but it was the same bowl, the Orange Bowl, and the Orange Bowl has always been a major bowl.”

We'll have to wait and see if Swinney rises to the bait again.

TigerFan95 writes:

Danny Ford here:
Yeah, some drunk old man called me the other day. I didn’t recognize the number but the ID said it was from Columbia, SC. I really couldn’t understand what the guy was saying too well because he was slurring his words so bad. He also had this squeaky little annoying voice with a Tennessee accent that was hard to undersand, but it sounded like he was really ticked off. He kept asking me about the ’81 Orange Bowl, saying that he was trying to come-up with something good on Dabo because he couldn’t win a BCS bowl like he did. I just assumed it was one of them daggum prank callers and hung-up.

clmtgr92 writes:

Dear Spurrier,

Don't blame the SEC for your failure to make a BCS bowl game. Try winning the league title for once.

Signed,

All Clemson Fans

BigBud52 writes:

Dabo needs to continue to take the high road. Let the old fool keep running his mouth. Remember William Shakespeare's comment "You can't have a battle of wits with an unarmed man." I thought all USC fans liked to chant SEC SEC and now because they can't win enough league games to get a BCS invitation, he blames the SEC. IRONY

FlopEye writes:

started this crap 2 years ago. He insulted a
university, as well as a football team. I sent a
son to Clemson where he got a great education,
therefore I respect the University, it's just
the football coaches and half-wit fans that I
find disgusting.

P.S. Dabber based his rant on an untruth, and
was aware it was an untruth. High road enough
for you ?

BigBud52 writes:

I will put Dabo's character against the Ol Ball Sack's every day of the week. On another note, I do respect your son for graduating from Clemson that is a great accomplishment. I also am an alum and that is the main reason why I am insulted by a MORON like Spurrier who thinks everytime he gets a chance he throws off on MY SCHOOL. If that makes me a half-wit then so be it.

essoclub writes:

I am not a Dabo fan - I have never been fond of his antics. While it was great to see the Tigers get the "W" against Ohio State, the last person that Dabo should be taking jabs at is Spurrier, especially since under Dabo's watch, the Tigers have lost five in a row to the Gamecocks.

It would be nice to see Dabo take the high road and let his team's play do the talking.

It is also worth noting that it was a national embarassment when FSU destroyed the Tigers at home, resulting in the Tigers giving up the most points ever at Death Valley. The media shenanigans around the FSU game, with ESPN reporters riding along with the Tigers on the team bus, just prior to the start of the game, was an unnecessary distraction that I hope never happens again. I doubt it made a difference in the outcome of the game, as FSU throttled the Tigers in every phase of the game.

As I have consistently mentioned on this board, in my opinion, there are two games which Clemson must win every year: S. Carolina & FSU. Dabo and his staff have not been getting that job done. Period. Until they start getting it done, it's time for the entire staff to "put up or shut up". I only pray that the administration is smart enough to have a reasonable buy-out clause in Dabo's contract. A 6th straight loss to the Gamecocks and a third straight loss to FSU should be more than enough to send any coach packing. I can't take 8 more years of this crap (i.e., losing to FSU & S. Carolina).

Brace yourselves, as the excuse in 2014 will be that we are "rebuilding". If we could not beat the Gamecocks and FSU with Boyd, Watkins Bryant, McDowell & Breeland, how do you think we will do without them? Buckle your chinstraps.

tigerrob44#291802 writes:

I’m a little confused about why Spurrier claimed he called Danny. It doesn’t matter about the ’81 Orange Bowl we are still the only team to win a major (BCS) bowl from the state of South Carolina. We also beat Miami 15 to 14 in the ’51 Orange Bowl. And we beat BC 6 to 3 in the ’39 Cotton Bowl. So the realty of this is the fact we can go all the way back 75 years and it is still the truth. We are the only team from this state to win a BCS bowl game or a major bowl game that use to be the Sugar, Cotton, Rose and Orange. There was the Sun, Liberty, Gator and Bluebonnet and that was it as far as the bowl games go. We went to the Orange two times and the Sugar, Gator and Bluebonnet in the decade of the fifties. And for good measure, we have won almost as many bowl games as SC as ever been to. I think we have won like 18 and they have been to maybe 20. We have won 2 games less than the number of bowl games they have gone to.

tigerrob44#291802 writes:

in response to essoclub:

A depleted defensive secondary cost us last year and oh, yea, how about 6 turnovers this year. Those turnovers were not Dabo's fault. We have managed to win 22 games in two years and that's not too bad. I'd rather have Dabo than Tommy Bowden. Get use to it. He's here to stay.

KIMOSAMI writes:

The....HIGHEST....ranked bowl game that s.Carolina has EVER been in is the Gator Bowl.

THE HIGHEST RANKED. That was when there weren't thirty something bowls. They went four times....and of course, lost every time.

So, I guess Otis Spurrier was right when he said that they've never been to a BCS bowl. But it wasn't because they were in the SEC.

essoclub writes:

in response to tigerrob44#291802:

The head coach is ultimately responsible for the performance of the team. This is a performance based business and beating S. Carolina is at a minimum, a requirement for every Clemson football coach. Your excuses regarding how and why the Tigers lost the last two games vs. the Gamecocks are laughable. Why do you think we had 6 turnovers? A depleted secondary? Are you serious? Spurrier has out-coached Dabo in five straight meetings. This is unacceptable. Period.
Yes, the Tigers have won 22 games over the last two seasons, three of which were against FCS teams. Does beating up on the likes of the Citadel and S.C. State make you a proud Clemson Tigers fan? How many ACC teams with winning records did the Tigers face during the '13 season? I'll do the math for you: 4. Of the four teams with winning records, how many of them finished greater than .500 in conference play? One team (GT). N.C. State finished 0-8 in ACC play and they played the Tigers tough. UVA won two games all season. Wake & MD were dreadful.
I imagine you will be beating a different drum if the Tigers lose to S. Carolina... for a record 6th straight time, and are demolished by FSU (again) and potentially lose 2 ~ 3 additional games. Dabo's days are numbered if he cannot figure out how to beat Spurrier. Period. Take it to the bank and get used to a new coach roaming the sidelines at some point in the near future if the wheels fall off of the bus in '14.

By the way, you did not address my point in my original post, which is really the elephant in the room: If we can't beat S. Carolina and FSU with some of the best players that have ever played for Clemson, what should we expect to accomplish without them? We'll find out soon enough, but mark my words, Dabo will wisely use the terms "rebuilding" & "reloading" throughout the entire 2014 season.

kellytown writes:

in response to essoclub:

It sounds to me like you need to maybe move over to Columbia and pull for that team on Bluff Road.So you are telling me that you would rather win against s.c. and forget about the other games. when coach Ford was rolling at Tiger town I seem to remember we got beat by Fla St. then also. as far as the coots go who really cares. However you only care about 2 games and nothing else. show a little pride in the Tigers and what they have achieved since Dabo has taken over He is driving the bus if you don't like the ride get of at Williams Brice!!!!

TheTruth46 writes:

in response to KIMOSAMI:

I am always amazed how you like to point out the past, call USC and Spurrier names, use caps in your posts, and much more. The simple fact remains Tonto, whether you like it or not, USC and Spurrier own CU and Dabo..period. So continue to drink the koolaide, conduct your history classes, call people names, and next November you will find yourself with a 6 game losing streak. Put your big boy pants on Tonto,with no excuses or name calling, and admit what is happening now...not the past. Thank you.

TheTruth46 writes:

in response to tigerrob44#291802:

All this appears to be true. I just have one question...how are you doing with the Gamecocks recently? No history lesson, no excuses please, just tell us what your record is against the old ball sack, the ole drunk, whatever you wish to call coach Spurrier...the fact is...he is beating CU and Dabo like a rented mule...end of story.

essoclub writes:

in response to kellytown:

Clearly, your understanding of Clemson football history and the importance of beating S. Carolina were both run over by the bus that you mention in your ramble of a post.

It is disheartening when folks on the bandwagon, like yourself, distort reality. It's also unfortunate when empirical data is thrown out the door to promote the new regime. Your first mistake is mentioning Danny Ford, in response to my post, which was about Dabo. I know that the 'ol ball coach took a swipe at Dabo in mentioning a discussion with Ford, but Dabo is no Danny Ford - not even close.

Who was at the helm for the worst beating in the history of the college bowl system (FBS)? Dabo (see the Tigers vs. WVU in the Orange Bowl)

Who was the coach when the Tigers surrendered the most points ever at Death Valley? Dabo (see 2013 game vs. FSU)

Which Clemson coach owns the longest losing streak to S. Carolina, in the Clemson-S. Carolina rivalry? Dabo (see the last 5 consecutive losses to S. Carolina)

Since you mentioned Danny Ford in your post, let me try and educate you about his record vs. S. Carolina & FSU, in comparison to Dabo's results vs. the same two teams:

Ford's Tigers vs. S. Carolina: 7-3-1
Ford's Tigers vs. FSU: 1-1

Dabo's Tigers vs. S. Carolina: 1-5
Dabo's Tigers vs. FSU: 2-4

Ford's Tigers won the national championship game in '81. He also lead the Tigers to 5 ACC Championships & 6 bowl game victories. He dominated the Gamecocks in head to head match-ups.

In summary, consistently beating S. Carolina is not an option, it is a requirement for every Clemson Football Coach. More importantly, I do not need to move to Columbia any more than you need to go to a library and study up on Clemson football.

I can only assume that you did not really want to discuss football. Run along now.

TheTruth46 writes:

in response to essoclub:

Ford's Tigers vs. S. Carolina: 7-3-1
Ford's Tigers vs. FSU: 1-1

Dabo's Tigers vs. S. Carolina: 1-5
Dabo's Tigers vs. FSU: 2-4

Great post sir, and all very true. Thank you.

kellytown writes:

in response to essoclub:

Ford's Tigers vs. S. Carolina: 7-3-1
Ford's Tigers vs. FSU: 1-1

Dabo's Tigers vs. S. Carolina: 1-5
Dabo's Tigers vs. FSU: 2-4

Well how about you run him out of town then. times change coaches come and go. you need to leave the past behind, if that is possible!!! Oh you need to get your head out of that gas tank you have been in their to long this is 2014 not the 1980s huff huff. Don't be playing with matches.

essoclub writes:

in response to kellytown:

Please try to pay attention. Nobody is living in the past. The present reality is that the 'ol Ball Coach continues to take Dabo's Tigers behind the woodshed - five years in a row. Nothing I have seen from the current Clemson Football staff leads me to believe that the Tigers will be in any better position to end the streak at 5 and beat Spurrier and the Gamecocks in 2014. Needless to say, the Tigers will be "rebuilding" and the beating that FSU might administer could do irreparable harm to the program. We play Georgia right out of the gate in '14 and they will be hungry for revenge. We are losing nearly the entire offensive production and potentially two (definitely one) of our best playmakers on defense.

Regarding your ridiculous comment about 'one's head in a gas tank', it's comments like that which lead me to believe that you skipped school today to play on the Internet. You really should leave the football talk to the adults. Run along now.

KIMOSAMI writes:

in response to TheTruth46:

The "past" was yesterday....when an ACC team claimed the last national title of the BCS era. It also includes the previous seven years, in which SEC teams won the title...I'm sure fondly remembered by your ilk.

Remember this:

The past also includes that five game span just concluded by the hens. That happened once. It also imcluded a couple five game win streaks by the TIGERS. As well as a seven game win span by the TIGERS.

In the last 25 games between CU and s.Carolina, Clemson leads 17-7-1.

In the overall series between the two schools, Clemson leads.........get this.....:

65-42-4

AND THE FIRST 65 GAMES OF THE SERIES WAS PLAYED ON s.CAROLINA'S HOME FIELD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just like Dabo said: That's no rivalry, that's a domination. You don't like it, but it's true.

That five game win streak is going to end on Nov. 29, 2014.

And as I stated, the CROWING we've been hearing for the last five years will resume to the cackling of a bunch of hens.

We'll load the poultry truck with filled cages and it will head back down I 26 that night....and things will be back to normal.

gamecockg writes:

SOUTH CAROLINA GAMECOCK #4 CLEMSON TIGERS #7 GAMECOCKS STATE CHAMPS NUF SAID

BlueRidgeBengal writes:

Esso, Yes 2014 could be a rebuilding year or reloading one. You dont know. Teams change drastically year to year. Your pessimism is incredible though. Who knew FSU with a new QB and many new starters would win the BCS? im sure you had them playing AU too. You dont have to like Dabo or any coach for that matter but he runs a good clean program.Yes the losses to USCe have been terrible but you have to give them some credit. they are at their pinnacle. they are not the decent once per 4 years program that you knew. i want to beat them in every sport every time but that's not always gonna happen. But if you have such great ideas send them to DRad, Dabo, or President Clements im sure they would know just where to put them.

TheTruth46 writes:

in response to KIMOSAMI:

Remember this:

In the last 25 games between CU and s.Carolina, Clemson leads 17-7-1.

65-42-4

That five game win streak is going to end on Nov. 29, 2014.

You continue to amaze me, and I'm not quite sure why that is. Possibly your lack of knowledge, or maybe, your recent loss of memory. It is evident you have no big boy pants, if so, you refuse to put them on. I'm very sure Dabo knows what a domination is, as it is happening to him every year he plays USC.I know you don't like it...but, it's true. I hope you aren't a betting man. If so, you could risk losing the farm or trailor, if you bet on next years game. Please note there is no name calling or caps(yelling, screaming, ranting) in this post. You could learn from this. I have just one question...are you sure you aren't Jethro Bodine in disquise? You may go now.

BlueRidgeBengal writes:

Four posts by Trollth on a Tiger thread. The Orange Obsession continues . . .

essoclub writes:

in response to BlueRidgeBengal:

Let me make sure I understand what you are trying to convey... By calling a spade a spade I am somehow a pessimist? I am a realist and a die-hard fan of all things Clemson. My blood has always "run orange" and graduating from Clemson solidified my loyalty to the school and to the athletic programs.

With that being said, the win against LSU was epic and the victories vs. Georgia and Ohio State were awesome. It's also great to have 22 wins, albeit against incredibly awful teams, with the exception of a few good and several mediocre teams along the way.

However, the reality of the situation is that losing five straight games to South Carolina is unacceptable. I am not content with the direction of the current Clemson football program, given the five straight losses to the Gamecocks & the throttling the Tigers received at the hands of FSU. I will agree with you that it is not necessary for me to like the H.C. of the Clemson football team. I do not like Dabo and I will never like Dabo, but I will tolerate him if and when he figures out how to win the games that most die-hard Clemson fans, with the exception of the "pink hat" bandwagon fans, expect him to win.

As far as sending my ideas to the AD, the President of the University and/or to Dabo, I imagine they would put them in the same drawer where they keep all of their great ideas on how to beat S. Carolina and FSU. Clearly, they found those great football schemes and strategies from the same place where Jack got his beans.

TheTruth46 writes:

in response to BlueRidgeBengal:

Four posts by Trollth on a Tiger thread. The Orange Obsession continues . . .

LOL...you're too funny my friend, and very observant I might add. Gotta do this for my bud, GreenGullyPuddytat. Make it five. Five....five? Interesting and familiar number, don't you think? Mean anything to you? No obsession here...just total Garnet and Black domination. Good day to you my friend.

clemvol writes:

in response to essoclub:

I agree with all your posts. I will elaborate at a later date. I like you work for a living. I know and see the truth also. Don't let anyone get under your skin. Remember, you can't fix stupid.

harryD writes:

Man that 46 guy can ramble...probably would have to Google a usc QB other than shaw or Garcia. ..get a life.

TheTruth46 writes:

in response to harryD:

Not so sure about you Hairy. I seem to remember you suggesting more than once to other posts to "get a life." Could be one of your shortcomings. Just saying.

radtiger writes:

in response to KIMOSAMI:

Bragging about a BCS Bowl game win and still not ranked as high as SC!!!that over ranked bowl game didnt do much for our Ratings....SC is RANKED TOP 5 and has beat us 5 yrs in a row.....I dont think thats the TEAM we need to be making fun of

radtiger writes:

in response to essoclub:

Ford's Tigers vs. S. Carolina: 7-3-1
Ford's Tigers vs. FSU: 1-1

Dabo's Tigers vs. S. Carolina: 1-5
Dabo's Tigers vs. FSU: 2-4

Thanks Essoclub for setting the record straight

in response to TheTruth46:

Your "four(4) fingers and thumb" don't count as "history" ??? ...or is that just as far back as you can count ??

Be nervous, 'cause y'all will be a while finding another HC with the stature and lack of need of a job that can stand off the lawyer politics that has dogged SC football for over a century.
took Spurrier what, 6 or 8 years to get y'all over .500 lifetime ??????....and He's really starting to lose his edge.....psst, He's old !