Boyd: 'I don't think there's anyone out here better'

Clemson's Sammy Watkins, Dabo Swinney, and  Tajh Boyd at trophy presentation after a 40-35 Orange Bowl win over Ohio State at the Discover Orange Bowl in Sun Life Stadium Miami, Florida.

Photo by Ken Ruinard

Clemson's Sammy Watkins, Dabo Swinney, and Tajh Boyd at trophy presentation after a 40-35 Orange Bowl win over Ohio State at the Discover Orange Bowl in Sun Life Stadium Miami, Florida.

Ask your NFL draft quote-on-quote expert and you'll get a wide range of opinions on Tajh Boyd.

If you go straight to the source, the accomplished former Tiger is pretty clear.

“Honestly I don't think there's anyone out here better than me,” Tajh Boyd said Saturday in his interview session at the NFL Combine. “I'm just going to go out and prove that.”

Alongside teammate Sammy Watkins, he will have the stage in Indianapolis Sunday as one of a few quarterbacks to participate in all of the drills, including throwing, where potential first-rounders Teddy Bridgewater (Louisville) and Johnny Manziel (Texas A&M) are not.

NFL.com rated Boyd the No. 8 overall QB prospect earlier this month, while CBS Sports has dropped him to a projection of the final round to free agency after a lackluster Senior Bowl.

“Coming into the season I was a top-15 pick supposedly,” Boyd said. “Now you're hearing that. I think it switches that quickly. No one really knows until May. I'm just trying to do what I can.”

The Hampton, Va. product was asked about his decision to come back, after watching his stock drop from a high post-Chick-fil-A Bowl to now.

“After the game, I told myself that I was leaving,” said Boyd. “After the game I had set a mark that if I hit it that it would have catapulted me into the draft. Ultimately that's what happened. When I sat back and realized what I wanted to do and wanted to come back for my senior season. I don't regret my decision at all.

“I feel like I matured in every aspect of the game and did what I wanted to do. The big thing was feeling I was ready to make this transition and do what I wanted to do. I feel like I did.”

Not all of his reviews are poor, Bleacher Report draft analyst Matt Miller highlighted San Francisco as a possible landing spot.

"He’s shown some running ability, has the downfield arm," Miller told 49ers.com “Needs to work on his mechanics especially on quick, underneath routes. He seems to have the physical attributes that fit with what the 49ers have done (at quarterback).”

Boyd would agree.

“I have a lot of versatility,” he said. “Obviously I think I have a lot for any platform. I feel like I can throw from any angle. I think one of my great aspects is I can throw at any angle. I can release high, side-arm or three-quarter.”

“I feel like I always had a quick release, but it's a little more compact. I feel like my footwork is smoother and more on balance with my throws. I'm just ready to go out and throw it around (Sunday).”

Above all, Boyd says he’s a winner.

“Ultimately, I win games,” he said. “I was 32-8 at Clemson. Was 43-2 in high school. Winning is just something I've always been a part of. Wherever I go I want to contribute as early as possible and just try to enjoy myself.”

tigerrob44#291802 writes:

If I were Houston I would draft Sammy first and then trade up and get Tajh late first round or early second and they all of a sudden go to a top offensive football team overnight. They would have all the Clemson greats together and I do not think it is possible Tajh, Sammy and Nuk wouldn’t just terrorize the defenses in the NFL. The 3 of them together with a half buttocks offensive line they would prove to be almost unstoppable. Sammy can help a team get to the Super Bowl quicker whereas a defensive end won’t. A great defensive end is really good to have but I don’t ever recall one of them getting too much credit for getting their team to the Super Bowl. There have been great linebackers and defensive linemen that without them their teams probably wouldn’t have won a thing but a great QB or WR seem to get you there quicker with more ink written about your team, which is irrelevant at best.

waran writes:

"Boyd registered a 40 time of 4.84 seconds, which placed him seventh among quarterbacks." He might think he is the best, but at most Boyd is a late 3rd round. Sammy and Nuke made him look good at Clemson. He is a fighter but gets confused easily.

BrandonRink writes:

in response to waran:

I don't think anybody expected him to burn it up in the 40. He's a tough runner, but never was speedy.

I'd agree he won't touch first day status because he has too much ground to make up PR-wise. He'll have Pro Day and team workouts to prove to teams he's worth a pick on day two.

TheTruth46 writes:

in response to tigerrob44#291802:

(This comment was removed by the site staff.)

TigerFan95 writes:

Boyd is worth a 3rd or 4th round pick in my opinion. If he gets picked by a team with the expectation that he will be their starter next year or the year after he’ll be in trouble and will likely be out of the league in 3 or 4 years. I’d like to see him go to a team without an immediate need at QB and serve as a back-up for a couple years. For some reason I’m thinking the Eagles or Steelers would be a good fit for him.

waran writes:

in response to BrandonRink:

Brandon: I respect your opinion and your knowledge. This is your job. I also hope you are right as I wish Tajh the very best. But I very much doubt he will be picked in day-2. I hope he gets drafted.

TheTruth46 writes:

Well now, it appears I either poured alcohol or rubbed salt in an unhealed wound of either a poster or a staff member, or both. I am curious what compelled the staff to remove my previous post, as well as what was written to prompt this action. I have exchanged numerous posts with other posters, which were much more intense than the deleted post, without being sanctioned. Apparently there are folks present on this site with tissue thin skin. I request the staff member to email and enlighten me. Thank you for your time.

....."Boyd: 'I don't think there's anyone out here better'."........

Quite a few not as nervous and fumble prone tho

TRUTH4U2 writes:

He won't be picked until maybe the late 6th round. I bet Shaw is picked before Boyd.