Five-star, top-rated 2015 OT Mitch Hyatt is a Tiger

North Gwinnett, Ga. star makes his pledge a year before his 2015 signing day

Football Recruiting - Mitch Hyatt

Football Recruiting - Mitch Hyatt

Mitch Hyatt is a Tiger.

The nation's top-rated offensive lineman for the class of 2015 committed to Clemson Wednesday night at North Gwinnett High in Suwanee, Ga.

"I'd like to thank my familiy for being there for me to support my decision," Hyatt said. "The reason for the early commitment is I just wanted to get it over with so I can focus on the next season. Focus on winning a state championship next year. I just want to focus on next year and be able to be with my teammates and have some fun."

Hyatt, the nephew of former Clemson star Dan Benish, chose the Tigers over numerous national offers. His head coach wasn't surprised at all with the early pick or reasoning.

"Clemson is getting a great young man and a great player," North coach Bob Sphire said. "They can't have him yet...He's been well ahead of the curve in terms of visiting schools over the last year and going to games and going to junior days as a sophomore because everybody was ahead of the curve recruiting him. He's had ample time to go about the evaluations.

"He's very comfortable with his decision. It's very comforting to know that his No. 1 motivation is to his teammates, where he and his team can focus on next fall, North Gwinnett's season. Not Clemson's. That'll happen two years from now. It's all about North Gwinnett."

The 6-6, 270-pound tackle is a consensus five-star prospect and is the highest-rated offensive line recruit of the Dabo Swinney era.

Hyatt is the sixth player, and the second offensive lineman, to commit to the Tigers for 2015, joining offensive lineman Noah Green of Boiling Springs, S.C., quarterback Tucker Israel of Orlando, Fla., defensive back Van Smith of Charlotte, N.C., linebacker Tanner Muse of Belmont, N.C., and wide receiver Shadell Bell of Decatur, Ga.

The offensive and defensive lines are high priority areas for the Tigers in 2015. Recruiting coordinator Jeff Scott said on Wednesday that the Tigers are looking for tall, athletic offensive tackle type players as they build their next offensive line.

......"and is the highest-rated offensive line recruit of the Dabo Swinney era."........

Maybe we'll start to see what a difference an O-Line can make.
Remember Power Line '89 ?????

Wil writes:

I remember Powerline '89; I still have a t-shirt from that year (that I can't wear anymore... LOL). But it was really the d-line that showed out and led the defense to being the number 1 D' in the nation... '89 was a good year!!

waran writes:

Mitch, glad you joined Clemson and best wishes for a successful career and future.

For Clemson, this is a step in the right direction.

Come to Clemson.
Work hard. Hit the weights.
Multi-millionaire within 4 or 5 years.
Not bad.

tigerrob44#291802 writes:

With this kid’s uncle being Dan Benish I feel sure Clemson had a huge a advantage in getting him but just because Uncle Dan was a superstar at Clemson and played on the greatest Clemson team ever does not mean his nephew would automatically decide on attending Clemson. I know or knew this girl back in the late 90’s that had a brother that played with Dan on the championship team. This girl and I were really good friends and, sadly, I can’t tell you her name because you would automatically know who I am fixing to tell you about. Anyway, her brother was an All-America on the 1981 National Championship team and up until about the year 2000 when I moved away and lost contact with her, she told me her brother had never, not once set foot back on the Clemson campus since graduation. Thank you Uncles Dan for holding no grudges against some make believe demon that kept you away or better yet, kept your nephew for deciding on Clemson. Dan, if you read this article you will know immediately who I am referring to but, you know I can’t and wouldn’t dream of using anyone’s name in something like this. I really liked this guy’s sister and not in that way you perverts. She had a girlfriend and the three of us played gold together all the time. She was married to a successful guy from Greenville but, she and I and her friend played a lot of golf together. And what I just wrote may not hold true today. I told that story just to make an example of how family ties may not always help get the guy you want. I feel sure Mr. X doesn’t pull against Clemson or any kind of nonsense like that. I never met him but liked his sister quite a lot. And she could hit the golf ball pretty good, too. With this young man making an early commitment and being a 5 star offensive lineman we have a very good start to next year’s recruiting. For those of you that believe in bloodlines, well, we have hit the jackpot with the Davis twins and this boy that is Uncle Dan’s nephew. The next 3 years at least, we should be almost unbeatable due to our talent level and we have the coaches in place to make sure they get it done right. Good job by all with regards to recruiting this year, last year and so far next year. I’m excited but I get excited very easily.

lhaselden writes:

" The next 3 years at least, we should be almost unbeatable due to our talent level and we have the coaches in place to make sure they get it done right"
We still play FSU and USC every year.... UGa next year and ND the next..... Their talent level at least by the star ratings are better that ours... Ours may be a little ahead of USC by average star but they bring in JUCOs that usually do not count in the star ratings. They also bring in more bodies.

tigerrob44#291802 writes:

in response to Wil:

The 4 linebackers that played on that '89 team could have very well been the best collective group of linebackers on the same team in college football history. They were real good football players.

Who is Terry Kinard?

Lost Lettermen for $400, Alex.

Other 1981 All-Americans include Jeff Davis,
Perry Tuttle, Lee Nanney, and 2nd team selection Jeff Bryant.

Athletic department even promoted Kinard for Heisman! I don't know if he returned to Clemson, but I know Davis did and think Tuttle did.

I knew Benish a little and his hot girlfriend, Karen.
He was a tough DT. Glad to see Hyatt joining the Tigers.