No. 1 2015 offensive tackle Mitch Hyatt will announce college choice on Wednesday

The nephew of former Clemson DL Dan Benish, Hyatt is top-ranked OT of ESPN, Rivals, Scout, 247Sports

Football Recruiting - Mitch Hyatt

Football Recruiting - Mitch Hyatt

Two years ago, Deshaun Watson gave Clemson a signing day bonus when the high school sophomore committed to the Tigers.

Now the Tigers could be in line for another early jackpot.

Mitch Hyatt, the nation's top-rated offensive tackle prospect for 2015, will announce his college choice on Wednesday during a 7 p.m. ceremony at North Gwinett High in Suwanee, Ga., according to a report by Scout's Chad Simmons.

Clemson has long been considered the school to beat for Hyatt, who is the nephew of former Tiger defensive lineman Dan Benish. He has offers from many of the nation's top programs, and is also reported to be considering Georgia and Ohio State. He also has offers from Alabama, Florida State, Florida, South Carolina, Southern California and others.

A consensus five-star prospect, Hyatt is rated as the nation's No. 1 offensive tackle and No. 4 players overall by 247Sports. The 6-6, 270-pound Hyatt is rated as the nation's best at his position by ESPN, Rivals and Scout.

In its profile, Scout describes Hyatt as "one of the more polished offensive linemen in the 2015 class. He is a little on the lean side and he needs to add weight and strength, but he has a great frame for that. He has great feet, he moves very well, and he is equally strong in run blocking and pass protection. He has long arms, he can move in tight space, and he rarely gets out of position. He is bright and he had a lot of potential."

Hyatt, who visited Clemson for the Georgia game in September and again last Saturday for the Tigers' first major Junior Day, told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that his uncle is helping him during the recruiting process.

“He just shares what went on when he was going through the same process," Hyatt said. "He gives me advice. He tells me not to stress out. He says to find a place where I will feel comfortable for four years. He’s not really pushing Clemson on me or anything. He just wants the best for me.”

tigerrob44#291802 writes:

If you come to Clemson and are half as good as Uncle Dan then you will be a great player because Uncle Dan was something special. And if you don't come to Clemson you need your brain examined down at Emory University Hospital to find out what's wrong with it.

at least we're trying for O-Line finally??

CharlestonTiger writes:

in response to 33dtb:

at least we're trying for O-Line finally??

Completely agree, the offensive line and secondary have been the glaring weaknesses that have prevented Clemson from becoming elite. It seems we addressed the secondary reasonably well with last years recruiting class. Now it's time to start working on the O-line.

tigerrob44#291802 writes:

If we had a great offensive line and averaged 275 yards a game rushing would everybody be happy. Of course, we wouldn’t score but about 28 points a game and wouldn’t have gone 11 and 2 last year. It’s as though people are wanting us to go back to the day of the triple option. I loved that offense but it’s obsolete these days. You have to recruit a completely different kind of lineman to run that kind of offense than the spread. They don’t make linemen like that anymore. God stopped making them a long time ago. We averaged 40 points a game last year and over 500 yards a game in total offense. Our offensive line must have block somebody or at least laid down on the ground in front of them. We had a quarterback that had a completion percentage of 68.5 so he must have had somebody blocking a little bit every now and then. Let’s see. That comes to every 10 passes they blocked 7 times so he could hit a pass. I sort of get it with everyone’s complaining about our offensive line but I personally think most people are blowing our lack of ability in that aspect of our team way out of proportion. That’s my personal opinion. When you have offensive numbers like we do everybody has got to be doing something real good or those numbers wouldn’t be so high. We could score from anywhere on the field at almost any time. That’s pretty good no matter who does or doesn’t get the credit for it.

BigBud52 writes:

I agree tigerrob. It is Defense that wins championships. Just ask the Denver Broncos. Back to back 11 win seasons makes me think the "O"line isn't that bad.

CharlestonTiger writes:

The only two good defenses that Clemson played against (FSU and USC) held them well below the 40 point and 500 yard mark. That happened because Boyd did not have time to throw and was flustered due to a lack of O-line protection.

Say what you want, until Clemson gets better on the offensive line of scrimmage, they will not beat FSU and USC on a regular basis.

brookesdad729 writes:

in response to CharlestonTiger:

Thank you CharlestonTiger! 11-2 is a good record no doubt but I wish people would be realistic here. Other than the UGA game, the rest of our schedule we should have beaten soundly and some of them (NCSt & BC) we struggled with. Our offense was never fully in sync this past year. There was not a game where I could truly say we were crisp and sharp like we could have been. Seriously! I don't watch games through orange colored glasses! Even in the blowout games there were times when I just scratched my head and went "what was that?!" That being said, we didn't pull a "Clemson" like we have in the past and for that I am grateful! Our defense is moving along a more progressive path than our offense for sure however. I know some of us live in this politically correct world where we don't like to say anything negative or offend anyone but I'm not one of those people. The truth is the truth. Our offensive front has got to be able to protect the QB period against stiff competition. Morris is a good coach but he is getting paid mad money to run that offense and it's time he produced a consistent smooth running offensive product. That's not a knock, it's the truth! He's one of the highest paid coordinators in the nation and he's got to produce in the big games. I'm not even upset if we don't necessarily win them all but we at least need to be in the same stadium with FSU and SC among others! If it's close, you have a 50/50 chance. If not, you'll be playing their second team guys in the 4th quarter. That's embarrassing! I don't know about you but to see FSU who was once behind us surpass us, make us the ESPN highlight reel, and win the national title is a little frustrating to me! Just saying! If you're okay with finesse football against inferior opponents then I guess what we have is alright for you. As for me, I'm not and I am just as much a Tiger fan as anyone else on here. I'm Brookesdad and I approve this message!

lhaselden writes:

I agree we need better OL recruits. The last 6 NC had top 5 OL classes,
Alabama and Auburn had 2 in the last 6 years, FSU had 1 in 2010.
We have never had a top 5 OL recruiting class. Hopefully we will have a top 5 class in 2015. But the reason we do not have one is that they are hard to get. there may only be 4 or 5 OL in the top 100 players. If you do not get 1 or 2 of the top 25 OL recruits you will not have a top 5 OL class and everyone wants them!
The only OL in SC I remember in the last 5 recruiting cycles rated as a top 25 OL recruit was Shell that went to USC. We do not have then because our State is not producing them!
Guillermo was a top 5 Center in his class but he was rated a 3 star player and not in anyone's top 200 recruits.

clawt writes:

Can't believe there is anyone arguing about how important it would be to get a great Olineman. Who cares what kind of offense you run you ALWAYS need talent on the Oline. And the better the lineman the more you can do with them. O Line should always be a top priority for any type of offense.

KIMOSAMI (Inactive) writes:

in response to brookesdad729:

Dude....in the FSU and S.Carolina game we turned the ball over 10 times. They were quality opponents. You can't win games when you turn the ball over 6 times and 4 times to mediocre teams. Let alone good teams.

In the FSU game,Seckinger fumbled on the first play, and on the next series, he dropped a perfect pass on third down. The tone was set and the cascade began....similar to the WVa game in the Orange Bowl.

Our schedule is similar to all good programs. The games....and opponents....usually are set years in advance.

The last two years we have beaten teams we were supposed to lose to in the bowl game.

Speaking of Morris...have you forgotten the Billy Napier offenses?

"Pulling a Clemson" is a horse's azz statement made by such as the effeminate sounding(ahem) Jesse Palmer.

TheTruth46 writes:

Kimosammy...there is generally a reason for turnovers..that would be good defense. Good to see you again. Enough said.

in response to TheTruth46:

and a marginal O-Line that has the whole backfield in a desperate HURRY

in response to BigBud52:

what championship ?

With all the great NFL-grade running backs we've had for the last many years, why haven't they gotten more yards ???????

Charlie Whitehurst had 2 seconds or less to throw a pass.

When will top RB recruits start to wonder ?????

BigBud52 writes:

in response to 33dtb
I was speaking of all teams, but to address your babble. Do you actually think Clemson could have beaten FSU with a better O Line? I guess maybe they would have if they scored 60. In that light maybe the O line could have given us time to put up 77 on UWV two years ago. Come on dude. Check the TEAMS that compete for championships, they have good defenses. That was my point.

in response to BigBud52:

in response to 33dtb

As I said, "and a marginal O-Line that has the whole backfield in a desperate HURRY".

We gave the games to USC and FSU with turnovers.
Maybe we would have lost anyway, but don't give the games away with a "nervous Nelly QB" and turnovers.

.and BTW, we have a great Defense and great skill position players on the Offense. Why not us for an O-Line????