Rising junior guard Adonis Filer to transfer

Clemson's Adonis Filer, right, greets Elonzo Grant, son of Jackie Grant, left, of Clemson, in the lobby of the Marriott Marquis Times Square in New York City.

Photo by Ken Ruinard

CLEMSON, S.C. - Adonis Filer intends to transfer from Clemson following the spring semester, Head Coach Brad Brownell announced Sunday. Filer played in 66 career games at Clemson and produced 332 points and 89 assists over two seasons.

"We thank Adonis for the hard work he has given to our program these past two seasons," Brownell said. "We wish him the best in the future."

Filer averaged 3.9 points per game in 2013-14, appearing in all but one game for the Tigers. He shot 79 percent from the free throw line and was second on the team with 23 steals.

"I learned a lot in Coach Brownell's system," Filer said. "He taught me how to be a better player. I will miss my teammates; we grew to be friends and are like brothers. I wish them nothing but success next season and beyond."

With two freshman signees, Clemson is now back to its limit in scholarships with a pending K.J. McDaniels' NBA decision to come this month.

SoCalTiger writes:

I am curious as to why this program and this coach has had so many transfers. Most of his highest ranked recruits have chosen to leave and there's not an elite recruit in sight. If there was at least one other player the caliber of KJ, then he might be inclined to come back next year. I am sure it will impact his decision.

BrandonRink writes:

in response to SoCalTiger:

Brownell's had more than normal, but transfers are becoming a much bigger thing in college baseketball as a whole - http://espn.go.com/mens-college-baske... If McDaniels does come back though, there wasn't going to be a scholarship for somebody.

I'd say Donte Grantham is elite relative to the kind of recruit Clemson attracts (top-70 rated). I'd imagine the goal is when they have competitive facilities they can continue to get guys of his caliber and better.

SoCalTiger writes:

I have read a lot about transfers in general. It seems that most of the best Brownell has recruited are the ones that have left. No offense, but Donte does not show up on any of the top recruits lists, especially on ESPN. They have top 50 recruits for each position - 250 players listed - and not one is even considering Clemson. I don't understand that.

michtiger writes:

This should be no surprise. He had already started heading to the 7th spot on roster. With a couple of guards coming in he was pretty much odd man out. So god luck to him.

BrandonRink writes:

in response to SoCalTiger:

ESPN is the one in the big four services not to have him top-100. 247/Rivals have him in their top-70 players.

But I get your point. Problem is with so many one and dones the blue blood CBB elites can just stock up because they have more room each season. Duke has three of ESPN's top-15. Kentucky has three in the top-20. SMU's really the only non-traditional power/basketball school to have a ESPN top-25 player in the last class. NC State was the only ACC team outside of Syracuse/UNC/Duke to nab a top-50 player. It's not an easy road and Clemson's still working on facilities.

SoCalTiger writes:

Brandon, do you think that the new facilities will spark a change in the basketball program? Like hiring a higher-profile coach to get better players? New facilities? New coach? Better players? I think Brownell did the best that could be done. I do think they should have won the NIT. I also noticed that Lunardi on ESPN has Clemson as a #8 seed in the "way too early" bracket for 2015.

BrandonRink writes:

in response to SoCalTiger:

Can't hurt. I'm a little more optimistic that Brownell has Clemson on the right track - more so than I was last preseason. Will be interesting to see what K.J. decides - Brownell's one "elite" recruit so far (who wasn't rated that way out of high school).

SoCalTiger writes:

Brandon, do you know where the Tigers will play during the Littlejohn renovation? Thanks!

BrandonRink writes:

in response to SoCalTiger:

Nothing official yet, but it will be in Greenville at the Bon Secours Wellness Arena (used to be the Bi-Lo Center).