Morris' message? It's just a spring game

Clemson quarterback Chad Kelly (11) is sacked by Clemson linebacker Dorian OÕDaniel (6) during the spring game at Clemson's Memorial Stadium on Saturday.

Chad Kelly wasn’t made available after a tough day at the office in the Clemson spring game.

Instead, his quarterback coach and OC, Chad Morris, had to speak for him – the message? It was just a spring game.

On a fourth-down and short in plus territory Saturday, Kelly was frustrated with the decision to punt and let his coaches know it. They let him know their stance with a second-half benching.

Stoudt pleased with O&W performance

None

“You can’t gauge any of these quarterbacks – you hate to gauge an entire spring on one spring game,” Morris said. “Obviously we wish that wouldn’t have happened. Everything counts. We’ve all talked about (that) from the get-go. He’s had a good spring. I’m sure he wishes he had that moment back. But it was a spring game. It was an opportunity to deal with some adversity.

“That’s a part of splitting this up. We know that there’s going to be some adversity. There’s going to be some number ones with twos and threes. You just deal with it. How do you respond? I think he got a little frustrated with it. Got to move forward.

"This doesn’t need to be the overshadow of the entire spring. Because he had a good spring. We had a great battle."

While freshman Deshaun Watson watched from the sidelines (broken collarbone), senior Cole Stoudt fired touchdown passes of 28 and 16 yards, completing 65 percent of his passes without a pick.

“Cole has been very consistent the entire spring,” Morris said. “The entire spring. He’s been a steady Eddie type guy. Never too high – never too low. Good to see that today. Made some good throws. Wish he made a couple more throws that he had confidence in making. Just part of the spring.”

“After watching Cole the last few years, what’s made Cole so consistent is his ability to find all his reads and get to his checkdowns. That’s what really has made him special. It was good to see him respond to adversity for the checkdowns.

“We all know Cole’s not going to beat you with his feet – he’s just not. He’s smart. He has the ability to hit checkdowns and that’s pretty special.”

Their top targets showed off the work this spring – all three mid-year freshmen receiver getting in the action.

East Lake (Fla.) product Artavis Scott burst through for a 33-yard reception and finished with six catches. Peach State products Demarre Kitt and Kyrin Priester combined for five catches and 33 yards.

“All three have done some really good things – all three of them,” Morris said. “Obviously they’ve all made mistakes. Kyrin Priester made some really good catches today – especially on some slant balls. Artavis Scott is electric. He’s very quick in space. We saw that today. We’ve seen that all spring.

“They’re just getting better every day. Sometimes they’re getting better the hard way – taking a step back. Demarre Kitt had a couple critical mistakes in some blocking, but he also had some really good things happened.

“I love all of these new guys. I think they’re going to be dynamic. They’re freshmen – they should be going to the prom right now. They’re here. I promise they’re not going to regret this.”

TigerNE writes:

It will be interesting to see of the three freshmen WRs who Morris decides to RS. Priester will almost surely play in my mind, and that suggests Kitt and Scott might not. Just a guess.

BrandonRink writes:

in response to TigerNE:

I doubt more than one would redshirt if any, unless you're planning on major playing time for Rodriguez. Maybe he does. They are all at least No. 2 on the depth chart at their different positions outside of maybe where Hopper lands, which means they'll play.

Kellys gone. I cant see him staying much longer. And he looked awful. I was pulling for the guy, but seriously. He is not very good. At all.

captincarrot writes:

in response to Bigboots:

Bigboots, I have to think/hope that you are wrong. I think Kelly actually last year in the Orange and White game was the better quarterback, till he got hurt. He also fits Morris' offense better than Stoudt. We are also judging this all one day not what the coaches are seeing.

TigerNE writes:

in response to BrandonRink:

I'm assuming that coaches gave Rodriguez so much spring game action as a way to evaluate if he can be 4th or 5th in line. He certainly showed some stuff he hadn't last year.

You may be right that only one of that trio gets a RS, especially if Hopper's status is still uncertain come end of August. And that leaves Thompson and Bell as RS. But if Hopper straightens out, we would still be 5 deep with more TE options than we've had in a few years. Then again, having 6 ready to play is better in case Peake can't stay healthy, etc. So there's that....

michtiger writes:

in response to Bigboots:

Agree. He is missing the critical element, he has very little self control and like Kyle Parker, has talent but not nearly as much as he thinks.

ClemsonRanger writes:

in response to Bigboots:

It seems that everyone who is saying Kelly is no good is forgetting how bad Tajh was in his first spring game. As I recall, Kelley was having a really good spring game last year before his injury. This was one bad game, don't be so quick to say he isn't any good because the last guy that wasn't any good ended up breaking almost every Clemson record. This QB battle isn't over but Cole does have the upper hand.

TigerFan95 writes:

To me it's not a matter of if Kelly leaves, but when. Personally I hope he transfers after the season because we'll need the depth and he could fill a role in spot duty as a change of pace type guy or if Cole needs to come out for a series or two. But if Cole needs to miss a game or more, especially a conference game, I say give Watson a shot. I'm not up on all the transfer rules, but if he transfers to another D1 school now he will only have to sit out the upcoming season and will be elligible to play next season correct?

kellytown writes:

I also believe that Kelly is gone. I think that he has a very big ego and that he had some problems in the past with his attitude. It could just be that NewYork attitude. I just believe that he is one of those guys that its all about me, and since he stunk it it so much on saturday that with not playing the complete game hurt his pride more than his self esteem. He will leave rather than accept the fact that he's not as good as he thought he was. And needs to work on attitude and being a complete team player

TigerNE writes:

in response to ClemsonRanger:

Bigboots sounds more like a fair weather friend. And I agree, the game is a glorified scrimmage. So as the coaches are saying, when rolled up with all of the scrimmages, Kelly isn't doing so badly yet.

The problem is there is no chance he will be given a chance to start without getting his emotions better under control. Is he mature enough to admit it and become a little more humble? We'll see. At best right now he might get marginal playing time. Not what he wants. Hence, unless he changes he might be better off with a transfer. Power is in his hands.

brookesdad729 writes:

Bad attitudes can kill a team and it seems as though Kelly needs to get his in check or check out! At least then you know what you're working with! He's good with his feet but he has never really impressed me with his hands...that being said, depending on how well the O-line plays he may be good in some wildcat/pistol formations. If the O-line plays well then Stoudt will have a field day with opposing defenses. Bottom line is Kelly needs to learn self-control. But if he doesn't well there's always the door out! I certainly wouldn't want anyone on our team who doesn't want to be there! I understand that it's frustrating being recruited as the "guy" and that not panning out but it happens. Ask Willy Korn. Same situation only I don't think Willy had the attitude with it.

kellytown writes:

This game was the beginning of the end for Chad. After all we have heard and seen I thought that Chad would be ready. Not even close made very bad decisions with the ball, I will say this I do believe that he would have had some big running plays. So I believe that Chad's pride has been hurt and he will leave. Sorry that he is that way Hope he takes this as a teaching moment but I don;t think so like I said EGO.

bleachorange writes:

I actually thought Chad was the more consistent quarterback out there. He only threw the picks because he was trying to avoid the touch-sacks. Most of those would not have been sacks. I personally liked how consistently the offense moved with kelly at the helm, and attitude aside, i approve of going for it on 4th and short. Kelly wants to win, is what I saw at that game.

All that aside, Stoudt sure can throw some pretty passes. :)

in response to TigerNE:

I've got your fair weather friend.
The point is, Kelly has not shown the ability to lead. Or to throw tight spirals. So I predict he will leave. That's my prediction.
Yours is that he might get marginal playing time, become unhappy, and leave.
Pretty much the same evaluation, I'd say.
You're not bright enough to see that, are you?
What a joke.