Going 'live' with quarterbacks reaps dividends for Clemson defense, too

Dabo Swinney: 'Some of those guys got exposed. Some of those 'sacks' we've had in practice aren't sacks any more'

Spring Football Practice - Offensive coordinator & Quarterbacks coach Chad Morris

The 'live' segments being incorporated into Clemson's football practices this spring are designed primarily to help sort out the competition among quarterback contenders Cole Stoudt, Chad Kelly and Deshaun Watson.

So long as the Tigers can avoid injuries, the benefits don't end there, however, according to Tiger coach Dabo Swinney.

"All three quarterbacks have been able to show their athleticism in their ability to escape and break tackles and make plays on the run," Swinney said. "Usually in practice it's hard to get a true evaluation of that because the defense knows they can't hit 'em.

"It's been great for our defense, too, because some of those guys got exposed. Some of those 'sacks' we've had in practice aren't sacks any more because these (quarterbacks) break tackles and make 'em miss.

"It's been really good for both sides."

The Tigers will be back in Death Valley for an afternoon practice today, and then will hold another full-scale scrimmage on Monday.

Overall, Swinney continues to like what he's seeing.

"We've gotten in some good special teams work," he said. "I've been very pleased with T.J. Green, and B.J. Goodson is a guy that's jumped out at me.

"I'm seeing a guy like Isaiah Battle really taking ownership and trying to be a leader. That's very encouraging. I saw Ryan Guillermo step up."

Notable in its absence is the day-to-day inconsistency common to intrasquad practices.

"Sometimes when you scrimmage, it can be a little lopsided, one way or the other," Swinney said. "But it's just been back and forth - very competitive every day. The offense had the better day from a short-yardage standpoint. We've got a lot of good film to watch and evaluate."

Swinney says the players are being held to a high, collective standard in everything they do.

"Everything counts," he said. "You take pride in doing your job. That's one of the things we do in our accountability runs after practice. There are consequences. Everybody suffers if one guy isn't doing what he's supposed to do. If a guy's late to class, they all pay a price for that one guy.

"The same thing carries over to football. If one guy doesn't do his job and a guy's wide open, or if a guy busts an assignment or plays with poor technique, everybody suffers.

"That was something I was eager to see, and I was very, very encouraged."

Follow Kerry Capps on Twitter @oandwkc

TigerNE writes:

It is sounding more and more like the competition for the three key offensive skill positions - QB, WR, TE - is the best thing for us to rebuild after losing Boyd/Sammy/Bryant/HotRod.

Some of those who are already predicting us as a sleeper team this year must agree, too.

clemvol writes:

As far as i'm concerned there is only 1 game on the schedule this year. I pay no attention to the sleeper stuff, have heard it before. Any game prior to the last regular season game is for entertainment before we get to the real one.

TigerNE writes:

in response to clemvol:

That game won't be a make or break game by itself for a top bowl or for playoffs.

I want to win it, too. But I'd take that as the only loss if it means a great post season shot.

Xander5000 writes:

in response to TigerNE:

That would be bitter sweet though we have enough challenges with the huge road games this year. I still don't want to lose to any of them and I don't want the committee thats supposed to be fair voting for the top four have E-SEC-PN infect the whole process with all their expertise and report to the world that we can't seem to beat Chickenlina.....and UGA and FSU was down this year.....and we don't deserve a title shot because the ACC is weak.

in response to TigerNE:

With all due respect i understand the want to have a winning record, to go to a top bowl but personally i have already seen these, have already seen a National Championship. As with all comments they are nothing more than opinions and my opinion is that the year end game with the "lamecocks" is and will always be the most important game of the year. P.S. Another loss this year i'm sure will have dire results.

TigerNE writes:

in response to clemvol:

I'm not trying to be argumentative. I was just reacting to the idea that there is only one game that counts.

Curious what you think the dire results might be. Are you saying if we beat UGA and FSU but lose to SCar again something bad will happen to coaches?

in response to TigerNE:

After a 5th straight loss to the "chicks" a change in coaching needed to be done but since most folks have an "oh well "" attitude with this and think it's just another game then take them off the schedule and replace them with S.C State or Wofford.

waran writes:

in response to clemvol:

I somewhat agree with clemvol. The game against USC is huge and losing 5 in a row is not tolerable. If we lose again, then we need to find a way to win the national championship, if at all possible. Another 10 or 11 win season against SC State, Wofford, and Wake Forest is not going to compensate. It will just confirm that our coaching staff is not as good as what USC has in winning crucial football games. I hope it does not happen, I like Dabbo as a person. But I love Clemson more. Go Tigers.

kellytown writes:

Let me see if I get what is being said. we can loose every game as long as we beat the Bluff road team thats all that matters. Its all about that 1 game!!!. We would get rid of DABO just because of 1 game!!! come on we kept tommy bowden for 10 yrs and all that he did was have a winning record against the dirt peckers oh i forgot he also couldn't win more than maybe 8 games in a season, couldn't beat the teams we were suppose to beat. Never won the ACC, never played for the ACC championship.Ran our football program into the ground. Hey but he had a winning record againt the lamecocks. WOW

in response to kellytown:

Yes, Dabo should have already been gone. Him or anyone else will not stay forever. Should have already cut our losses because its coming sooner or later. The only folks that want to really see Dabo stay are the "carolina" folks and i wouldn't be surprised if they are secretly funneling in money to keep him. Yes, it really is the only game that matters. Winning an ACC championship doesnt have the pucnch when the rest of the conference is down. We saw what happened when 1 school is back to their norm. ( worst beatdown ever at Death Valley ). Not being able to beat your rival has a huge effect on recruits. Not being able to beat your rival has huge effects on sales of all kinds. Not being able to beat your rival keeps you under covers unless you call it like you see it. So if anyone is satisfied to continue to beat the "weak sisters" of the conference and also pad the schedule with Division II teams ( and yes, i know other teams do this ) but not be concerned with beating the "chickens" on a consistent basis then by all means go ahead.

kellytown writes:

in response to clemvol:

Let me set you STRAIGHT ON ONE THING!!!I am not and never will be a SOUTH CAROLINA FAN!!!I have lived in South Carolina all my life. I am not a CLEMVOL, I am a Clemson as in south carolina.The problem with you is you want to fire a coach every couple of years if they can't beat the Lamecocks. Yea thats just the thing that makes coaches come to Clemson. loose to the chickens and their goes your job. No matter if you go 11-1 or 10-2. Coach Ford put it in perspective lordy lordy things go in circles and thats just football!!!

clemvol writes:

Speaking of record then lets go there. Not once did i mention that a coach should be fired after two losses. But after 5 straight losses? C'mon. What will the consensus be if it becomnes 6 straight? I see you have a passion 2nd to none but there comes a time when enough is enough instead of being pleased with 10 or 11 wins against a majority of lesser teams. I knew sooner or later i would get a fiery response. Keep it going. Anyone else????

TigerFan95 writes:

in response to clemvol:

Yep, Dabo is just another Frank Howard in the making and he's never going to get us anywhere if he continues to lose to SC. We should stop wasting our time with him---Fire him now and bring Tommy Bowden back. That guy had an excellent record against SC and was beginning to get take us places.

in response to TigerFan95:

That was just ok. It fell a little flat. Tommy Bowden has already been mentioned. But the fan support is alive and well. Keep it coming.

TheTruth46 writes:

Fellas...this is way too funny. Chickenlina, Lamecocks, dirtpecker? It doesn't matter what you call them...they just keep kicking Blabbos rear end every November. It appears the HBC and the Bluff Road Warriors have camped out between the ears of every Clemmons poster on here. Personally, I like Blabbo as a comedian, but, he needs to realize, he is totally out of his class with the HBC.

kellytown writes:

in response to TheTruth46:

Yea well how about this how many BCS games has the HBC won? since coming to Bluff road How many come on now tell me. How many SEC championships has the old ball sack won since coming to columbia can't here you how many. How many times has the old ball sack played for the SEC championship since becoming the dirt peckers HBC. how many times has the HBC played for the SEC east.Well here is the truth.

in response to kellytown:

The HBC must have started a campfire between you ears last night. The only number that should really matter to you is.....5.

in response to TheTruth46:

I know most folks will not agree with me but I do agree your points because it is fact that the number recently is 5 straight. No one can argue with this but...........kellytown does have facts also that cannot be argued with and like me agreeing with your comment you have no choice but to admit to him. If not then you have to say something is growing between your ears. Now, it continues to bother me that The Tigers have allowed a "runnerup" to dominate them. To allow a washed up, wannabe that so far can't win the big one since leading the chicks has certainly been bad for Clemson. My only solace so far is Tennessee ( an orange team ) beating the old and I mean old ball coach. Until next time we ( Tiger fans ) will have to wait and continue in our misery. P.S. Still have not seen that "state championship trophy".

in response to clemvol:

I'd be delighted to reply to you Clemmer. Why should you and Puddytat nation waste your time worrying and looking for those other things that shouldn't bother, or concern a Clemmer. His age shouldn't worry you, as for sure he has Blabbo's number. You know in your mind, as your misery continues, and could very easily grow to 6, what the trophy is. Your main and only concern should be....5. I repeat....5. 'Nuff said, and case closed. PS:For your reference, the trophy is called the Hardee's Trophy, and can be viewed online at your leisure.

TigerFan95 writes:

in response to TheTruth46:

Dude, Everyone understands that the 5 year streak is a big deal to you guys. We get that. But the fact is, cocklovers like yourself fail to understand that Spurrier didn't come to SC to beat us. He came to win the SEC and compete for a national title. Remember his "Why not us" speech back when he was first hired? Well, 9 years later where are the trophies?

TheTruth46 writes:

And here's back at you dude. A typical, and expected, response from a Clemmer. Always wanting to divert the conversation of the topic at hand. Let's make this simple dude. The "Ole Ball Sack" versus The Agricultural College of SC, and versus Blabbo. He would be 6-3 vs The Aggies, and 5-1 vs Blabbo, both to include 5 in a row..dude. It also appears the streak is more important to a Clemmer, as you seem to fret more about it.

in response to TheTruth46:

I have never, don't, won't divert my attention away from the obvious " 5 in a row ". It's simply fact. But you on the other hand like all "caroslima" fans will never admit to nothing more than beating Clemson. I understand and the more I listen there is an unbelievable "bromance" with caroslima guys falling all over Slurrier. I know this comes from the decades of your school being known as the "graveyard of coaches". Now, as far as the " Hardees Trophy goes please keep it. We know you have all the space in the curio cabinet you need. Also, go ahead and slip by Hardees and get you a Thickburger on me. Man, is this a slow off season or what? ( Always is when you are on the losing end ). Let the banter continue and let the games begin. P.S. Send me an active site that the chickens use so I can blab away on there also.

TigerFan95 writes:

in response to TheTruth46:

Yep, and Tommy Bowden had a 7-2 record against you guys that included a 4 year win streak and a 63-17 massacre, yet we fired him because he couldnt win the games and trophies that really mattered. Spurrier does the same thing at SC and you guys fall down and worship him.

in response to clemvol:

LOL..much too funny Clemmervol. I'll pass on the thickburger, but, thanks for the offer. Much tastier is a tigger burger...medium well. It appears Lil Tigger 90whatever is suffering greatly with his SC Agricultural College Puddytats. Hire and fire whomever you wish, but I like Blabbo, he's amusing and easy pickings. As the old saying goes....rest easy...less stress for you...and get over it Lil Tigger...just a reminder for you, the number is...5. Clemmervol, I found this site in a web search. I'm sure you can do the same.

DerrikB writes:

I feel compelled to comment on the "SC Agricultural College" remarks... Sounds a little condescending... Last I knew it was harder to get into Clemson than SCarolina, and that Clemson has a better academic and graduation record than SCarolina. Not bad for a bunch of farmers....

radtiger writes:

in response to kellytown:

All comments was about the fact that Clemson can figure out a way to beat SC,,,,now all of a sudden, you want to reverse the subject to "HOW MANY SEC CHAMPIONSHIPS and etc that SC has won????? Thats the problem with Clemson fans and obviously the Coaches....Too busy worrying about the wrong thing

in response to radtiger:

After all the comments the real facts are that both schools are paying way too much money to the coaching staffs for no real results for either school. Tell who is laughing all the way to the bank? Either call it like you see it or keep throwing out the dough for both staffs.

in response to kellytown:

Only one thing to add about all those nice things you say, and they don't change a thing Clemmer. Just remember one lasting thing...5. Ending story with a....5.

kellytown writes:

in response to TheTruth46:

How about this Yard Buzzard, I stated the facts and all you can say is 5. Typical Dirt Peckers response. Thats all you can hang on to just 5. Thats about how many trophies that the Chickens have on their shelf. all time!!!

in response to kellytown:

Smellytown...here's some fact for ya...nothing more, nothing less...read it and weep...5 consecutive butt kickins..all double digits.

gamecockg writes:

#6 is on the way

in response to TheTruth46:

Don't forget the "hamburger trophy".

in response to gamecockg:

#6 is on the way

#2 is on the way from Tennessee. Man I enjoyed that game last year.

Tennessee- 23 south caroslima- 21

in response to clemvol:

Tennessee- 23 south caroslima- 21

Clemmer I can accept that UT score. The question is...can you and yours accept 31-17...29-7...34-14...27-17...34-17.?? That would be 5 straight "behind the woodshed whuppins." Just some fact and truth for ya.

kellytown writes:

in response to TheTruth46:

You are referring to a smellytown and you are a DirtPecker!!! A city slicker is more like it that Bluff Road concrete and asphalt delapadated stadium, that is the home of the yard buzzards. Yep I can say one thing for you I can tell you are a coot fan through and thruogh you can only count in single digits.

in response to clemvol:

#2 is on the way from Tennessee. Man I enjoyed that game last year.

We'll take the hamburger trophy, and I would imagine that would leave Clemmons with the "Hotdog Trophy." Blabbo loves it with his sir name being Weenee. I will call your hand on the UT game. Bet you weren't enjoying yourself until that last minute catch. Be honest with yourself Clemmer, and I wouldn't bet the farm on this years game if I were you.

in response to kellytown:

I'd rather be a dirtpecker fan than a SC Agricultural College backer.All your wonderful compliments are welcome, and keep 'em coming.You appear to be getting a little aggitated Smellytown. You can't even spell correctly. I can count in double digits...watch this..31, 29, 34, 27, 34. Get it Smellytown? In closing the number is...5.

in response to TheTruth46:

Well hello again "tooth46".You have no choice but to accept the score just like I accept the last 5 years of the Tigers losing to an overrated coach. I admit this each and every time but I see how your memory is one sided but then again I have seen this out of chicken fans for years and years. I think i'll ride this score until the next game between Tennessee and the "chicks". Will be looking to hear from you again ( i'll bet the number 5 comes up again), pack a lunch and bring some friends with you.

BlueRidgeBengal writes:

Don't feed the trolls!

in response to clemvol:

I enjoy your posts and you never stop trying. Don't need a lunch, friends, or excuses. Cute lil name, I suppose from now on, you will be known as ClemmerVile. Whether you like it or not, the HBC, the overrated coach in your uninformed opinion, owns your puddytats, and your Viles. And you guessed it...just remember...5.

in response to BlueRidgeBengal:

Don't feed the trolls!

Go away lil tigger...nobody called you.

in response to TheTruth46:

I know and live with the fact of "5" everyday. ( Be careful, because that's the part you always miss ). As for the "hbc", you know the difference between "slurrier" and a litter of puppies?......eventually the puppies grow up and stop whining. Also, slurrier has coached in Neyland stadium 13 times and won 6 times, has only 1 sec east championship at "caroslima" and we won't mention the Auburn game. Against Tommy Bowden he won 1 out of 4, against Butch Jones he is o for 1 ( 23 to 21 ), has only 1 national championship in his " too long " career. Heck, even Danny Ford has 1 National Championship. Yes he owns Clemson and Dabo and any halfway fan knows this. But, his history shows without a doubt that he is just a so-so coach and highly overrated. This is why is stings so much for Clemson fans.

kellytown writes:

in response to TheTruth46:

Well here you are again TROLL go back under the Bluff road exit bridge. You know how you get to be a coot fan Take your IQ and double it if you can't come up with triple digits You got it. A Chicken forever.

in response to kellytown:

Smellytown....are you always this stupid, or is today a special occaision? I'll bet you do know where that Bluff Road exit bridge is located. As many times as you've had your little behind spanked lately..that would be a good hiding place. Speaking of IQ's, if yours ever reaches 25, you should sell immediatly. Now, put the crutches under your ears and move along. PS: ClemmerVile, I'll get back to you later today.

kellytown writes:

You know I would like to keep messing with you however I have better things going on than to keep messing with your pee sized brain. So go on and let the adults with some smarts carry on with some intelligent comments. Go on now and go eat your veggies like a good little boy. I know why you come to this site hard to find any intelligent life on the lamecocks site. Listen I will pay you for the Pizza just get off my porch!!!

in response to kellytown:

Too funny Smelly, and I must admit, a nice attempt on your part. You should remember to thank your younger sister for helping you with the post. If this is a place for intelligent life and adults, you would certainly be misplaced, misguided, and lost. I've debated with myself several times concerning you. My delimma is this...which number is larger...your hat size, or your IQ? I'd bet they are close. Have yourself a nice day.

in response to clemvol:

ClemmerVile, you can rant forever about the HBC's shortcomings...doesn't change a thing. Just a question or two for ya. What is his record against UringeT? Both home and away..just the total please. Speaking of whiners...that would include most of Clemmons nation. You can mention Allbarn if you wish, and I'll mention WVU. Darn, did you see that? The Mountaineers just scored again. Overrated, so-so coach...your opinion only. Five in a row...all double digits...fact. That's what really stings isn't it ClemmerVile?

clemvol writes:

Hey "tooth46". Coming back with more. Be ready.

TigerFan95 writes:

in response to TheTruth46:

While we’re asking questions, I have a few to ask you as well: Where are the SEC trophies the OBC promised you guys nine years ago and how much longer will he get before you guys call him out on it? Will beating Clemson and a few downtrodden SEC schools each year, but not winning a conference trophy always be enough for the OBC to keep his job at SC? If the OBC is such a great coach and SC is a legit power, why haven’t you at least won a couple more division titles during this unprecedented simultaneous down period for the division’s top teams UF, UT & UGA? How does a mediocre Big 12 team like Missouri win the east in only their second year, but SC can only win one in over 20 years? The SEC has earned its reputation for being the toughest football conference in the land, but how much of that reputation was earned by SC? If SC left the SEC would the SEC even notice?

These are the burning questions Clemson fans like myself have for SC..Please use your ultimate wisdom to answer them.