Jimbo Fisher takes the high road in response to Swinney's '5-out-of-10' comment

The Clemson Sports Blog

Clemson's Dabo Swinney and Jimbo Fisher meet before the game at Memorial Stadium in Clemson, S.C.

Photo by Ken Ruinard

I'll admit up front, my first thought was: 'what would the ol' ball coach have said?'

During Jimbo Fisher's call-in show Wednesday, someone served him up a high, hanging curveball.

He declined to bite, showing not only restraint, but class.

Asked to respond to Dabo Swinney's opinion that if Florida State and Clemson played 10 times, "we'd probably win five, and they'd probably win five,' Fisher - speaking from the winning side of a whopping 37-point final margin - answered graciously.

According to the Orlando Sentinel's Brendan Sonnone, "with the audience cheering and Fisher smiling, the FSU coach said:

'They have a great ball club and you’ll never know how each game goes. You watch a World Series game, a team can win 10-0 one day, lose 10-0 the next the day. Good teams play, and that’s the thing about athletics, every game has its own life. That’s the thing about athletics that we just don’t understand. A team could win big one day, the other team can win the next day.

'On a different day, maybe they do it. But that’s a game in which we played well. I still kind of like our team pretty much, too.'"

The context of Swinney's remarks came in a discussion of Clemson's mistakes, which he said prevented a fair assessment of the relative strength of the two teams.

“We didn’t give ourselves a chance - didn't give our fans a chance," Swinney said. "You can’t even really assess it. They have some areas in which they are ahead of us but we are going to catch up. They aren’t that much better than us, and we certainly aren’t that bad.”

Whatever the merits of Swinney's assertion, Fisher chose to take the high ground in his comments.

waran writes:

I will also take the high road and try to refrain from commenting on our Dabo's comment, even after what we all saw what happened last Saturday at out home on national TV to a 3rd ranked team.

I really wish FSU plays in the Championship and beats Bama. Good luck to FSU.

Clemorange writes:

Yeah seriously. Whether it be true or not Dabo shouldn't of said it. If our offense had performed at all we would of won that game almost as bad as we lost. Our offense gave up the ball four times which turned into 24 fsu points. Then our offense sputters twice inside the 50. Thats six touchdowns left on the field. Plus 24 given up. Do the math and we won the game by a good margin. Can't say anything to the defense. Our offense lost this game. As it has for every lose in the last few years.

I was thinking 4.

kellytown writes:

I also hope that FSU can win a National Championship if we can't. I hope that for the ACC we need to get back into the national championship for the good of the conference

O-Line

rsb8931#286014 writes:

I am somewhat surprised how Jimbo responded to that "flakey" comment by Dabo. Yes, flakey. He was being especially kind to the entire Clemson organization. I know Dabo feels like what is said is true, but I question his judgment in saying it. I think after the beating we took I would have thought it may be better to say nothing than to say, oh, if we played them 10 times we would beat them 5 times. That's sort of misguided in my mind, but maybe not.

waran writes:

in response to rsb8931#286014:

You are being polite when you say Dabo is "misguided". Perhaps you are also taking the highroad. For me, if a person does not know his team's weaknesses it is stupidity. You can never correct your mistakes if you don't know your mistakes. That's what concerns me most with Dabo's comment.

cuGIZ82 writes:

I understand the reason why Dabo made his comments...he has to show the public he still believes in his players. It is important for the players to know, their coach believes in them. Now to another topic, I hope FSU wins the BCS Title this year. Jimbo is a classy guy and his team is well coached and talented.

FlopEye writes:

clemorange must really be Tommy Bowden.
Those comments about Saturday's fiasco
could and probably would have come from TB.