Dabo Swinney, Tajh Boyd refute internet posting about gambling debt

Swinney: 'I just go right to the source. He shook his head (no). I have no reason to believe that he would lie to me'

Clemson's Tajh Boyd before the FSU game at Memorial Stadium in Clemson, S.C.

Photo by Ken Ruinard

Clemson's Tajh Boyd before the FSU game at Memorial Stadium in Clemson, S.C.

Clemson coach Dabo Swinney has refuted a report posted on a sports website saying that Tiger quarterback Tajh Boyd has accumulated a substantial gambling debt from betting, primarily on NFL games.

The report was posted Saturday on www.IBNSportswrap.com, which cited unnamed and un-quoted "sources" saying that Boyd owes $80,000 to two bookies, who extended him credit against his anticipated NFL payday.

No reason to not trust Boyd on gambling rumors

Website alleges big debt

"I spoke to Tajh about it," said Swinney at his weekly press conference on Tuesday. "I don't think there's any truth to that. I have no reason not to believe Tajh. That's really the only comment there is."

Swinney questioned the credibility of the website where the rumor first surfaced.

"That's the world we live in - anybody can pretty much say anything that they want," Swinney said. "I don't have any evidence that there's anything factual in the website article.

"I just go right to the source. He shook his head (no). I have no reason to believe that he would lie to me...I have no reason not to trust him. His character and integrity are impeccable, as opposed to some website that's probably had some inaccurate reports."

Asked to comment on the rumors during his interview session, Boyd said:

Boyd responds to gambling rumors

Boyd was shocked by the allegations

"I don't know where that came from. I rarely watch NFL games. I have Northland Cable, so I only get two games on Sunday. It was kind of shocking. I have no idea where that came from."

Boyd said he was not aware of the rumors until after Clemson's game against Florida State on Saturday.

"That, on top of the loss, made for a rough weekend," Boyd said.

clmtgr92 writes:

I was sent this link on Sunday morning by a friend (I was looking for an email address for Kerry and Brandon to sent it privately). When I looked at the site, my first reaction was, the guy touted Clemson as his game of the year and lost his butt and his money. He is trying to regain credibility by trashing Tajh's. The otherside, being a person who used to gamble a fair amount, if Tajh did have a problem, this would not be the first time this has come up. Teammates and friends would notice little things, like being upset that Podunk U lost to Little Sisters of the Poor and you have no ties to either school. Staying up late to intensely watch games between two random teams. For me it got to the point where everytime I watched a sporting event, someone would ask "How much you got on the game." even though I never discussed my gambling with them. The signs are there if you look for them.
That being said, if I were Clemson's AD, I would serve the site owner with papers forcing to name the sources or retract the statement. This is not something Clemson wants floating around unanswered. It needs more than Dabo saying he believes Tajh.

rsb8931#286014 writes:

I can tell you flat out that 90% of football bettors bet games they can watch on television. Only big time football gamblers bet on games they can't watch, generally speaking. And if Tajh says he doesn't even have cable he aint' betting on nothing. Antd like the other guy said if he was $80,000 down he would be a completely different person and a blind man could see it. That's about $10,000 a weekend. I promise you he would be going ballistic.

YabbaDaboDooDoo writes:

A guy who wants to be an NFL QB says he rarely watches the NFL?

Looked kinda like he had FSU to cover last week.

rsb8931#286014 writes:

in response to Bigboots:

Looked kinda like he had FSU to cover last week.

Yea, if he's betting he bet FSU last Saturday night.

rsb8931#286014 writes:

Put some logic to your thinking for just a minute. Tajh has been around Clemson for 5 years. No rumors have ever been heard of him gambling on anything. Now all of a sudden half way through his fifth year something shows up on a website that is questionable at best that says he's $80K in to the book makers. Now think about it. Half way through his fifth year and he's hooked to the tune of $10K a week. That's the same as someone just starting out drinking liquor and drinks a quart a day. It ain't gonna happen people. And besides, Tajh is far to smart of a guy to get caught up in some kind of a gambling scandal anyway. And don't say, well, maybe he's been betting all along. No, do you think he could have hidden it from the world? Not too likely. Betters don't start out betting that kind of money no more than a drunk starts out drinking a quart a day. Remember that kid from Ohio St a long time ago and his gambling problem? He was a gambler. Wrote bad checks and all kind of stuff to pay off and he was suppose to be a pro prospect, too, I think.

clmtgr92 writes:

Another thing to factor in, is the fact that no other sprots/media outlet has run with this story. There is no way ESPN would ignore this if there were any shreds of evidence.
The Ohio State QB was Art Schlichter. My grandfather had an autographed picture of him and Art together and was forever disappointed by his gambling and troubles. I just hope for Tajh's sake and his family's as well, that this whole thing is a lie and they can get the guy to retract the post.

Bleedsorange writes:

It can't be true because of simple facts. First if Tajh had a line of credit on his eventual nfl contact the bookies would be better off with Tajh winning that game to secure payment on the debt so throwing the game is out of the question. Second Louie in previous posts a gambler its not hard to spot. Third even if he was an over the top gambler huge could have doubled down played his a$$ off and come out a winner two ways in that game.