Loud crowd? Jameis Winston says 'noise is really nonexistent to our team'

Clemson will try to break Guinness world record for stadium decibel level on the Tigers' first defensive snap

Jameis Winston (AP Photo/Elise Amendola, File)

Jameis Winston (AP Photo/Elise Amendola, File)

Florida State freshman quarterback Jameis Winston has never played in front of a hostile crowd as large as the one he'll see Saturday at Death Valley, but he's confident the Seminoles will be able to handle the noise.

"We're talking about 80,000 people, but when you're playing football and you're in your zone and you're doing things right as a team and you've got a team around you, crowd noise is really inexistent to our team, especially when you have the chemistry that we have," Winston said this week. "We’re not trying to be focused on crowd noise. There are bigger things to be worried about than the crowd."

Winston added that FSU's system of communication helps take the crowd out of the game.

"All the noise stuff, with the way we communicate on the field, and the way we do things, I really don't think that's going to be a big factor," he said.

Clemson announced this week that it will attempt to set a new Guinness world record for stadium decibel level on the Tigers' first defensive snap on Saturday.

Some Notes On Jameis Winston

- The freshman has been most effective on first down, as he's completed 51 of 67 passes (.761) for 830 yards and 10 touchdowns.

- He's also excelled as a third-down passer, with 18-of-24 for 297 yards and four scores.

- FSU has trailed briefly in three games this season. In those situations, Winston is 16-of-18 for 272 yards and four touchdowns.

- He completed the first 11 passes of his career in the Seminoles' opener against Pittsburgh and went on to set a new school completion percentage with 25-of-27.

kellytown writes:

Hey jameis you are in for a big surprise!!! I hear that you have said that you played in front of 10,000 screaming fans while you were in high school in alabama. Well get ready for 90,000 at DEATH VALLEY!!!! THATS in CLEMSON SOUTH CAROLINA!!!

rsb8931#286014 writes:

I love it. Young and dumb. He is so naïve and so cute. He doesn't think the noise will bother his team at all. How cute! Talk to him about 11 o'clock Saturday night and see if he has a different take on Death Valley and the noise.

cwby writes:

He is only adding fuel to the fire. Dumb comment by a young qb.

Clemorange writes:

Crowd noise caused two false start penalties in a row against BC offense last week. Our secondary is about to have a career day. I'm thinkin we will get multiple interceptions.'

TRUETIGER1 writes:

He's asking for it !

TigerFan95 writes:

I’m a Clemson fan and can’t wait for Saturday’s game to get here, but I’m personally tired of hearing about how loud it’s going to be. Don’t get me wrong, I love our atmosphere and think it’s one of the best in the land and the crowd noise adds to it, but our stadium is no louder than most other large stadiums out there. All this talk about crowd noise just makes us sound like a bunch of goobers and reminds me of the coots down in Columbia. We should be beyond that as a program. I'm sure the noise will play some factor in the game but if we’re counting on it being the winning factor we’re in trouble. Go Tigers!

JDS87 writes:

in response to TigerFan95:

Crowd noise will definitely be an advantage against a freshman qb who has only played away games against BC and Pitt, not exactly intimidating stadiums to play in. The record breaking attempt on crowd noise is a good strategy to give FSU something to think about before they even set foot in Death Valley. I agree that it's kind of silly but the point is that it is a huge game and any edge we have will be needed!

rsb8931#286014 writes:

in response to TigerFan95:

The noise in the stands isn't any different from one big stadium to the other, but the noise in Death Valley down on the field is much, much greater than any other place. And that's due to simple physics. The noise goes down in a hole in the ground and is trapped on the field which makes it much louder for the players on the field. That's why Death Valley has such an advantage with the crowd noise. I've been to a game at Happy Valley and it was loud in the stands but on the field it was just normal crowd noise from a big stadium. The design of Death Valley is why it is known for their noise and it's true down on the field is louder than anywhere else in the country.

rsb8931#286014 writes:

VPI came to town way back in the early seventies and left town as a loser because of the crowd noise. For about 5 times in a row the QB backed off from behind the center and got the clock stopped by the official. Well, he did it one time too many and got the flag that moved them back 5 yards which meant they didn't score the touchdown they needed to beat us when there was only a few seconds left on the clock and they were down on the West end zone goal line. I remember the plays very well. He pulled off the ball at least 4 times and they got him on the 5th or he may have pulled off the ball 5 or 6 times and then they got him. The point is our crowd actually won that particular game for us. Ask somebody that was at the game to tell you about it. And back then we didn't have the upper decks, either.

Tgr4Lf writes:

This young kid better be worried about every single aspect of the game. INCLUDING the noise!!!!