Everybody’s on the Clemson regional host train now, after a 21-4 run since April 1, but the Tigers still must walk a fine line in these last two weeks before the NCAA Tournament.
Of the teams on the host “bubble,” seven of the top-nine in Baseball America’s most recent list also come off winning weeks.
The Tigers jumped two spots to No. 12 in the RPI – Mississippi State is the only fringe team that can claim a better ranking (10).
ACC RPI Leaders (Top 25)
UNC – T-1, Virginia – 3, Florida State – 4, N.C. State – 7, Clemson – 12, Virginia Tech – 13, Georgia Tech – 18, Miami – 19.
How Baseball America's NCAA Regional host bubble teams fared last week...
ON THE BUBBLE (IN): UCLA (3-1, swept Arizona), Arkansas (2-1 vs. Tennessee), South Carolina (4-0, swept Georgia), Mississippi State (1-2 on the road at Ole Miss), Clemson (7-0, swept Ga. Southern), Louisville (5-0, swept UConn).
ON THE BUBBLE (OUT): Arizona State (2-1 at Cal), South Alabama (3-1, took 2-of-3 at UL-Lafayette), Kansas State (Swept Kansas), Louisiana-Lafayette (1-2 vs. South Alabama at home), Troy (2-2, took 2-of-3 from Arkansas State), Oklahoma (Lost 2-of-3 at Oklahoma State), Rice (2-2, lost 2-of-3 to Memphis).
ACC Roundup/Atlantic Division Race Scenarios
No. 9 Florida State stayed atop the Atlantic Division – and also opened the door for Clemson – by taking 2-of-3 at No. 5 N.C. State.
With a No. 2 seed in the ACC Tourney on the line, the Seminoles host Clemson this weekend, while N.C. State heads to Duke.
Here are the likely scenarios assuming a Clemson series win (the only way they can win the division)…
No. 1: Clemson takes 2-of-3 at FSU and N.C. State loses one (or more) at Duke – the Tigers win the Atlantic.
No. 2: Clemson wins 2-of-3 at FSU and State sweeps Duke – the Wolfpack win the Atlantic.
No. 3: Clemson sweeps FSU – the Tigers win the Atlantic.
This is how next week’s ACC Tourney field would look if the current standings hold:
Pool A: 1) UNC 4) Clemson 5) N.C. State 8) Miami
Pool B: 2) Florida State 3) Virginia 6) Georgia Tech 7) Virginia Tech
On the outside-looking in: Wake Forest (3 GB).
ACC Baseball Standings (5/15)
|Atlantic: 1) Florida State||18-9||.667||42-10|
|3) N.C. State||16-10||.615||39-13|
|4) Wake Forest||9-18||.333||28-24|
|6) Boston College||3-23||.115||11-37|
|Coastal: 1) UNC||20-5||.800||45-6|
|3) Georgia Tech||14-13||.519||32-20|
|4) Virginia Tech||13-14||.481||33-19|
Miami has played its way onto the NCAA Tourney bubble, dropping a second-straight conference series – 2-of-3 at Wake Forest.
No. 3 UNC lost its first ACC series of the season, and also its top-ranking, dropping 2-of-3 at Georgia Tech. Jackets shortstop Mott Hyde hit a walkoff shot off from Heels ace lefty Kent Emanuel in game one, while catcher Zane Evans finished off the key series win Sunday with an 11th-inning walkoff RBI single.
Seventh-ranked Virginia swept Duke after taking over a week break for exams, rallying in game one from down 5-3 in the ninth with three runs after a rain delay.
In Chapel Hill this weekend, the Wahoos and Tar Heels fight for the Coastal and the No. 1 seed in the ACC Tourney. Virginia needs a sweep to topple UNC.
No. 22 Virginia Tech swept a two-game series Marist by dual 7-6 scores.
Top-5 ACC Batting Leaders Individual
1. UNC 3B Colin Moran – .385 BA/13 HR/78 RBI/65 R
2. UNC 1B Cody Stubbs – .364 BA/65 RBI/7 HR/21 2B
3. Georgia Tech C Zane Evans – .365 BA/14 HR/58 RBI
4. NCSU SS Trea Turner – .400 BA/36 RBI/6 HR/56 R/23 SB
5. Georgia Tech RF Daniel Palka – .351 BA/15 HR/59 RBI
Top-5 ACC Starting Pitching Leaders Individual
1. Miami LHP Bryan Radziewski – 8-1/1.26 ERA/91 K/23 BB
2. FSU RHP Scott Sitz – 9-1/1.66 ERA/61 K/19 BB
3. Miami LHP Chris Diaz – 5-4/1.41 ERA/62 K/17 BB
4. UNC LHP Kent Emanuel – 9-2/2.03 ERA/73 K/3 CG SO
5. GT RHP Buck Farmer – 8-3/2.49 ERA/25 ER/98 K/27 BB/2 CG
Top-5 ACC Team Batting Leaders
1. UNC – .313 BA/33 HR/437 R/295 BB
2. Virginia – .314 BA/33 HR/407 R/295 BB/28 3B
3. Georgia Tech .310 BA/97 2B/352 R/219 BB/48 HR
4. Florida State – .291 BA/366 R/29 HR/300 BB
5. Virginia Tech – .289 BA/345 R/45 HR
(Clemson – .283 BA/15 HR/298 R)
Top-5 ACC Team Pitching Leaders
1. UNC – 2.44 ERA/412 K/177 BB/124 ER
2. Florida State – 2.66 ERA/410 K/156 BB/136 ER/11 saves
3. Virginia – 2.99 ERA/413 K/116 BB/148 ER/14 saves
4. Clemson – 2.88 ERA/151 ER/340 K/165 BB/14 saves
5. Miami – 3.17 ERA/167 ER/383 K/15 saves