The Tigers’ regional hopes improved over the weekend, and not only by their doing.
Clemson moved up three RPI spots from last week to No. 14 after taking 2-of-3 from Maryland, as one of nine ACC teams in the RPI top-25.
Two teams fighting for an NCAA regional host bid termed as “in” as of last week by Baseball America lost series over the weekend, in Arizona State (RPI: 15) and Oklahoma (RPI: 44).
All but Ole Miss on the outside-looking in, who dropped 2-of-3 to Auburn, stayed on the cusp of a host with series wins.
ACC RPI Leaders (Top 25)
UNC – 1, Virginia – 3, Florida State – 5, N.C. State – 7, Virginia Tech – 13, Clemson – 14, Miami – 18, Maryland – 22, Georgia Tech – 24.
How Baseball America's NCAA Regional host bubble teams fared last week...
ON THE BUBBLE (IN): UCLA (Swept Arizona), Arizona State (Lost 2-of-3 to No. 25 Stanford), Mississippi State (Swept Alabama), Louisville (Swept Villanova), Oklahoma (Lost 2-of-3 to West Virginia).
ON THE BUBBLE (OUT): Arkansas (Took 2-of-3 from Kentucky), South Alabama (Took 2-of-3 from Middle Tennessee), Mississippi (Lost 2-of-3 to Auburn), Clemson (Took 2-of-3 from Maryland).
ACC Roundup/Atlantic Division Race Scenarios
Top-ranked UNC and No. 7 Virginia, along with Wake Forest, took the weekend off, while BC-Virginia Tech was the only other ACC matchup outside of Clemson.
The Eagles blinked first after 11 scoreless innings in the opener with a throwing error allowing the game’s lone run. BC catcher Matt Pare, who hit a walkoff homer to take the Miami series, helped rally the Eagles with a game-tying home run to salvage game three.
FSU moved up to No. 9 with a sweep of UCF, and N.C. State had no trouble with Presbyterian. The two will set up the Atlantic Division picture next weekend in a Saturday-through-Monday series with the finale on ESPNU.
Clemson’s path to an Atlantic title and No. 2 seed in the ACC Baseball Championship is a bit complicated – on one end.
Basically, the Tigers need to win the series at Florida State next week, whether 2-of-3 or a sweep, but they also have to win more ACC games than N.C. State.
Say the Wolfpack win five games in series against FSU and Duke – they will finish ahead of Clemson on winning percentage. If they win just four, the Tigers would have to sweep the Seminoles.
So, you’re rooting for FSU to knock out NC State in Raliegh this weekend with a series win and preferably a sweep. Or for Duke to win at least one or more.
Rounding out the weekend, Georgia Tech’s downward spiral continued dropping two at home to Coastal, Miami swept St. John’s to get back on track and Duke lost on the road to Liberty Sunday, 4-3.
ACC Tournament Field (2 Weeks to Go, Round Robin-format)
Pool A: 1) UNC 4) NC State 5) Clemson 8) Miami
Pool B: 2) Florida State 3) Virginia 6) Georgia Tech 7) Virginia Tech
On the outside-looking in: Duke (2 GB), Wake Forest (4 GB).
ACC Baseball Standings (5/7)
|Atlantic: 1) Florida State||16-8||.667||38-9|
|2) NC State||15-8||.652||37-11|
|5) Wake Forest||7-17||.292||26-23|
|6) Boston College||3-23||.115||11-37|
|Coastal: 1) UNC||19-3||.864||42-4|
|3) Georgia Tech||12-12||.500||29-18|
|4) Virginia Tech||13-14||.481||30-19|
Top-5 ACC Batting Leaders Individual
1. UNC 3B Colin Moran – .389 BA/12 HR/74 RBI/61 R
2. UNC 1B Cody Stubbs – .376 BA/60 RBI/7 HR/19 2B
3. Georgia Tech C Zane Evans – .364 BA/13 HR/53 RBI
4. NCSU SS Trea Turner – .405 BA/34 RBI/6 HR/53 R/22 SB
5. Georgia Tech RF Daniel Palka – .369 BA/14 HR/54 RBI
Top-5 ACC Starting Pitching Leaders Individual
1. Miami LHP Bryan Radziewski – 8-1/0.97 ERA/81 K/19 BB
2. UNC LHP Kent Emanuel – 9-1/1.71 ERA/67 K/3 CG SO
3. RHP Buck Farmer – 8-3/2.27 ERA/21 ER/92 K/23 BB/2 CG
4. FSU RHP Scott Sitz – 8-1/11 ER/1.41 ERA/57 K/17 BB
5. Miami LHP Chris Diaz – 4-4/1.42 ERA/57 K/15 BB
Top-5 ACC Team Batting Leaders
1. UNC – .318 BA/43 HR/407 R/260 BB
2. Virginia – .307 BA/32 HR/370 R/244 BB/24 3B
3. Georgia Tech .313 BA/92 2B/326 R/202 BB/43 HR
4. Virginia Tech – .285 BA/320 R/38 HR
5. N.C. State – .286 BA/318 R/25 HR/200 BB
(Clemson – .273 BA/14 HR/247 R)
Top-5 ACC Team Pitching Leaders
1. UNC – 2.28 ERA/307 H/378 K/150 BB/105 ER
2. Virginia – 2.95 ERA/392 K/107 BB/137 ER/14 saves
3. Florida State – 2.62 ERA/371 K/149 BB/121 ER/11 saves
4. Clemson – 3.04 ERA/144 ER/301 K/145 BB
5. Miami – 3.13 ERA/156 ER/359 K