With a game until ACC play starts, Clemson comes in fifth out of six teams in the Atlantic Division by overall record (6-4).
But the Tigers have played a schedule unparalleled in the ACC.
Per WarrenNolan.com, Clemson has the No. 35 strength of schedule nationally, while the next nearest conference team checks in at No. 151 (Boston College).
No. 18 FSU (10-0) is pacing the division at 10-0, after sweeping Villanova. The Seminoles’ pitching staff struck out 43 batters while only giving up 10 walks and six runs to the Wildcats.
No. 9 N.C. State (10-1) rolled over the weekend too, with ace lefty Carlos Rodon striking out 16 by himself in seven innings in game two, in a tournament in Myrtle Beach against Maryland-Baltimore County, Florida Atlantic and Coastal Carolina respectively. They host the Tigers this weekend.
Also in tournaments, No. 1 UNC (10-0) dominated against No. 13 Rice, California and Texas A&M by a 27-8 combined rout in Houston, Tx. In Cary, N.C., No. 24 Virginia Tech (11-2) won 3-of-4, beating Rhode Island (7-3), Ohio (8-2) and Tennessee (7-3) – losing to Notre Dame (3-0).
Sticking with the Coastal, No. 25 Virginia stayed unbeaten (12-0) taking three at home from Harvard, while Miami (10-2) lost its first two games and series of the season at Florida.
No. 14 Georgia Tech moved to 11-1, dropping Rutgers by a 12-1 average per game. Righty ace Buck Farmer (2-0) hasn’t given up an earned run in 21 innings with 30 strikeouts and one walk.
In College Park, the Terps (9-3) have won nine-straight (three against Princeton over the weekend) after getting swept at LSU to open the season.
The Deacs (9-4) took 2-of-3 from New Mexico State, while Boston College (2-7) dropped 2-of-3 to Georgia State in St. Petersburg, Fla., and Duke (4-6) was swept at home by Towson.
Top-5 ACC Batting Leaders Individual
1. Georgia Tech RF Daniel Palka – .489 BA/3 HR/20 RBI
2. Georgia Tech 2B Matt Gonzalez – 19 RBI/.391 BA/HR
3. N.C. State SS Trea Turner – .477 BA/11 RBI/21 R/5 SB
4. FSU LF Marcus Davis – .970 Slug/.455 BA/4 HR/14 RBI
5. Maryland OF Charlie White – 15 SB/.432 BA/10 RBI
Top-5 ACC Starting Pitching Leaders Individual
1. GT RHP Buck Farmer – 2-0/.197 opp. BA/0 ER/30 K/1 BB
2. UNC LHP Kent Emanuel – 2-0/.203 opp. BA/0.78 ERA/18 K/3 BB
3. FSU RHP Scott Sitz – 2-0/.175 opp. BA/0 ER/19 K
4. UVa LHP Brandon Waddell – 2-0/0.54 ERA/27 K/5 BB
5. Miami RHP Javi Salas – 2-0/.194 opp. BA/1 ER
Top-5 ACC Team Batting Leaders
1. Georgia Tech .350 BA/149 H/28 2B/106 RBI/60 BB/12 HR
2. Virginia – .334 BA/11 HR/115 RBI/136 H/70 BB
3. Virginia Tech .319 BA/10 HR/144 H
4. UNC – .334 BA/97 R/112 H
5. N.C. State – .297 BA/11 HR/83 RBI
Top-5 ACC Team Pitching Leaders
1. N.C. State – 1.60 ERA/.143 opp. BA/103 K/18 ER
2. Florida State – 2.00 ERA/.189 opp. BA/100 K/38 BB/20 ER
3. Virginia – 1.92 ERA/105 K/29 BB/23 ER
4. UNC – 2.05 ERA/.185 opp. BA/82 K/20 ER
5. Clemson – 2.27 ERA/73 K/34 BB/23 ER