After going hitless the past two games, Brad Miller will be looking to get back in the groove this afternoon when the Seattle Mariners attempt to push their winning streak to nine games when they face the Cleveland Indians.
Miller, who earlier this week became the first Seattle rookie since Ken Griffey, Jr. to be honored as American League player of the week, is batting .247 with a .337 on-base percentage and a .432 slugging percentage since being called up by the Mariners at the end of June. He has five multi-hit games, as well as a pair of homers.
During the month of July, the Mariners lead the
Majors in runs scored (108), slugging percentage (.481), OPS (.835), home runs (29), home runs per
game (1.61), extra base hits (68) and runs per game (6.00). Over the last 32 days (since 6/22), the
Mariners are batting .268 with a MLB-leading .819 OPS and 141 runs scored (5.64 runs per game
When catcher Mike Zunino hammered his second home run of the season on Monday, it boosted Seattle's rookie home run total to 11 - seven by Nick Franklin and two each by Miller and Zunino.
The 11 home run total by rookies ranks third in the American League behind Minnesota (15) and the Chicago White Sox (13).
Mariners Notes On Brad Miller
- Named AL Player of the Week 7/22; 1st Mariners rookie since Griffey to be POW.
- Recorded first 2 HR of MLB career 7/19 at HOU (3x5, 2 HR, 5 RBI).
- Had pair of games with 4+ RBI in his first 17 career games (first Mariner).
- Mariners are 11-4 in his 15 starts batting leadoff...13-3 in 16 starts at SS.
- Was 8x19/.421 w/3 R, 3 2B, 6 RBI in 4G series vs. BOS 7/8-11.
- Had 2 triples in 1st game in leadoff spot 7/5 at CIN, incl. a 3B to leadoff game.
- Recorded first 2 hits of MLB career (both doubles off E. Jackson), 6/30 vs. CHI.
- 2nd player in franchise history to record a SB in first 2 career games (also: Guillen).
- Hit .356 (37x104) w/26 R, 5 2B, 3B, 6 HR, 28 RBI & finished w/active 22 G hit streak at AAA Tacoma after being promoted from AA Jackson on May 2