Dabo Swinney to Jadeveon Clowney: 'I don't think Tajh Boyd is scared of anybody'

South Carolina's Clowney: 'We know that coming into the game that we have him shook already'

Clemson quarterback Tajh Boyd runs for a first down near South Carolina's Jadeveon Clowney during the first quarter at Williams-Brice Stadium in Columbia.

Photo by Ken Ruinard

Jadeveon Clowney can flat out play.

He talks a pretty good game, as well.

Speaking Tuesday at the SEC's Media Day, South Carolina's All-America defensive end and possible Heisman Trophy candidate took a swipe at some of his most celebrated rivals, including Clemson's Tajh Boyd and Georgia's Aaron Murray.

"I can tell Tajh Boyd is scared back there," Clowney said. "He ain't no sitting duck, but you can see in his eyes that he's scared of our D-linemen.

Clowney had 4.5 sacks against Boyd last November, and the Tiger quarterback threw a pair of interceptions in South Carolina's 27-17 victory.

"We know that coming into the game that we have him shook already," Clowney said. "We get a couple hits on him and it changes the whole game. He's scared every time we play them. I know he's probably listening to this right now, but I'm just telling the truth, man."

Clowney said he saw the same reaction by Georgia's Murray, former Arkansas quarterback Tyler Wilson, and a third SEC quarterback that he didn't name.

Clowney calls out Boyd

Swinney says Boyd isn't "scared of anybody"

"You can look at a guy and tell that he's scared," Clowney said. "If he's staring at me before the ball is snapped and he's starring at me every play before the ball is snapped, oh we got him. I tell the players that he's shook."

Informed of Clowney's comments midway through his summer media conference Tuesday evening at The Reserve, Clemson coach Dabo Swinney responded, measuring his words carefully.

"I don't think Tajh Boyd is scared of anybody," Swinney stated.

He then described Clowney as "a great player - there's no doubt about that."

"He was a great player in our game," Swinney said. "He was disruptive and he made some plays. I look forward to getting another shot at him this year."

Earlier in the afternoon, Swinney dismissed talk of a Boyd-Clowney duel for the Heisman Trophy.

“You get into the summer, nobody has anything to talk about," Swinney said. "Then you get magazine season, all that stuff comes out and they’ve said this guy’s this, this guy’s that, this team’s that. That stuff is so irrelevant. You’ve heard me say it so many times – let’s talk about it in November.

"Some radio show asked me a question, why I thought Tajh Boyd should win the Heisman over Clowney. I was like, ‘You’ve got to be kidding me.’ That could be a fun conversation in November, because then it could be based on performance and not speculation.”

“Just making a point to the team, what you’ve done in the past, that could be fun to speculate. We all think LeBron (James) should be a good player next year. It’s easy to speculate that but he’s got to go do it...You can’t just show up and say, ‘I’m Tajh Boyd, I threw more touchdowns than anybody last year, let’s go.’ You have to grind and have that blue-collar work ethic every day.”

rsb8931#286014 writes:

Clowney is an idiot. That's why he has to play at South Carolina. That's where idiots go to play sports. And if he actually believes Tajh Boyd is scared of him then he is a real big idiot.

Xander5000 writes:

Sure Clowney is big, fast, has long arms and all. I can see where anyone could be intimidated. He has made plays. Anybody's best player on their team is going to draw attention and they are going to be located at all times by opposing teams. You still have to do your job regardless. In that picture above, I have to admit he does look like one of the predators in that movie Predator. As I say that, though it was the movies, the Predator don't always come out on top. We will see in November.

clemvol writes:

When you have had some success at times some folks want to drip from the lip.If you are a college football player there is not one that is scared of another.At taht age you are just too "young and dumb". Now lets get to the "clown". I saw Michigans offensive tackle own him in their bowl game. Yes, the "clown did guess right 3 or 4 times and the last guess a big one, if not then Michigan would have won that game but that's history now. I don't see the "clown playing at full steam this year because the risk of injury increases dramatically (but he does have an insurance policy). I see that he is a big fish in a little pond but when you make the big stage (NFL) everybody is big, everybody is great and everybody is fast. The following is a prediction for the "clown" that he will follow in a few of these footsteps: Andrea Ware (Houston), Jason White (Oklahoma), Archie Griffin (Ohio St.), Brian Bosworth (Oklahoma), Bo Jackson (Auburn) and Gino Toretta (Miami).After 40+ years of college football you've seen it all and some things never change. It's time to strap it on and get it on and don't run and hide. The Tigers are back with a vengence and the tail kicking will do any talking that needs to be done.

TrevorT writes:

Sure Clowny is talented but obviously has little class, thus his choice of schools. I only hope he keeps talking that garbage all year long, feeding our players motivation to wear his fat butt out in November. Please keep talking!!!

iptaytiger writes:

Karma is a b**ch, and it will come back to him...

clemvol writes:

Let me add again, The "clowns" words were put in his mouth by coach slurrier. This is historically his way of attempting to plant a seed for distraction anytime he has worries of doubt about his team or his winning a game. this is "slurriers" way of trying to throw a team, coach or individual off balance. Seen him for a long time do this, a leopard can't change its spots. All you have to do is laugh at him or whoever he wants to be a mouthpiece for his shortcomings. Just remember, "slurrier" is a wanna be comedian. Now, lets stops responding about this and go about the business at hand.Nuff said.

TUN writes:

Nuk Hopkins said it best: "Real men do their talking on the field." Nuk's whole career at Clemson embodied that principle and Tajh's choice to follow Nuk's example shows his own maturity and readiness to play at the next level. Clowney needs to stop talking smack and grow up. His comments were both vain and childish and when he gets to the NFL next year he may have a rude awakening. He doesn't strike me as a very smart young man but I suppose there is hope even for those who play for 'the ole ball sack'!

switches writes:

in response to clemvol:

You're just being plain silly. You think Tajh has not been shaken the past 2 years by "The Clown"??

Well what other reason is it for his lack of completed receptions, sacs,& turnovers the past 2 years?? Of course he has been rattled by Clowney & when You are sacked that many times are you not going to look & make sure you know where Clowney's coming from? YES. Well that look of concern & need to find a pass rusher does show some fear.

Tajh is a good QB! I liked him while you guys were still playing Harper like morons!! You say Clowney "got lucky" 3 or 4 times. (NO WAY COULD HE HAVE TALENT.Right?) Anyway his position is to disrupt the offense & he did that all game! When you are so good you have to be doubled up on every play that leaves another man open even if Clowney does not get to him.

Ok so finally my point. All Clowney has to do as a DE is "GET LUCKY" one good time & it is a game changer. He also "GOT LUCKY" 4.5 times when he set a record at Memorial Stadium!!

One last thing Tajh is good. I'll say it again, but he is no how, no way, a Heisman caliber QB!! So do not get your hopes up there!

radtiger writes:

in response to TrevorT:

choice of schools???? really he chose to go to a SEC school because he wants the recognition and to go PRO.....HOW IS THAT A POOR CHOICE? and as far as calling him a fat but.....WOW.....I can assure you that hes all MUSCLE....the only thing hes going to have is a fat bank account.Of course Boyd is afraid of him....hes a BEAST. Stop hating because he chose not to go to PICKENS UNIVERSITY.

TrevorT writes:

Wow! Someone's got quite a little crush on Jadeveon. Sorry to get you so worked up, but this is a Clemson site in case you didn't notice. By the way, I'm pretty sure the NFL has not begun drafting exclusively from the SEC. I never questioned Clowney's talent, only his character. I would say his big mouth makes that justified. But if you don't like it you could try another site. Maybe www.gayforjadeveon.com

rsb8931#286014 writes:

in response to clemvol:

Those names you threw out there were flops in the NFL and I follow your thought process. But you need to check your history. Bo Jackson was pretty darn good at all levels. I remember the play clearly when Bo ran slap over Bosworth and put that joke out of the NFL. Bo Jackson embarrassed Brian Bosworth and he didn't last too long in the NFL after that play. Bo knew!

clemvol writes:

in response to rsb8931#286014:

Just to update ( and i should have put in the facts) Bo Jackson was just another big fish in a little pond. His NFL career went 4 years. He ran for 2,800 yards total. In a 14 game season that averages 700 yards per sean and 50 yards per game. Again, this is another example of being all world on one level and not on the next. If you are the next great athelete you should be able to set the tone quickly. A players career cannot be defined in one play. i enjoyed Bo in college.He was pretty good. "Bo knows" and knew about the college game but the next step was quite different. Just sayin.

in response to Xander5000:

long arms get shoulder injuries when the O-Line spaces out extra. "axe" me how I know ....

radtiger writes:

in response to TrevorT:

I guess it was character when Sammy Potkins spoke out negatively about Ga. I guess riding around getting high with stolen adderall in his car describes his character to, SPeaking out is what young football players do so get over yourself and let these kids be kids.Im tired of our fans thinking the players at Pickens University has so much class. HOpkins goes to the NFL tryout and smears poop all over the wall ......now that's Pickens University character.

TrevorT writes:

in response to radtiger:

"let these kids be kids". I see exactly where you stand. Although personally, I would prefer a junior starter and team leader on my team to act a little more like a man and less like a kid. Face it, the "kid" is a giant d-bag. Be in love with him all you want but everyone is not going to join you.
It's hilarious that your only defense for him is to bad mouth other players. What does that prove about Clowney? Probably about ninety percent of all major level college football players could stand a little character development. That's not exactly a news flash buddy.

radtiger writes:

in response to TrevorT:

Who cares about you or your preference, You arent a coach, general manager or an owner of any team and you sure dont own any of the players, probably dont even own the undies that you are wearing and like I said before Clemson doesnt have "STELLAR PLAYERS"....its all about talent something you or no one else cant take from him....HE BRAGS and HE BACKS IT UP.No he doesnt need a defense, I just pointed out some things to you about our player since you want to talk about character....call it bad mouth if you want but its true.

TrevorT writes:

in response to radtiger:

Sorry dude. I didn't realize you are a coach, general manager, and owner of a team. I thought we were all just guys talking football. As far as my undies are concerned, please keep your fantasies focused on your man Clowney.

radtiger writes:

in response to TrevorT:

Thats right, I would choose to have fantasies on Clowney anyday over an non factor tater like you. All was good as long as you could sit around and bash Clowneys character bt to hear about our own players character is was a whole different game.....CASE and POINT, THE TOPIC should stay focus on their athletic abilities and leave all of your other DRAMA on FACEBOOK and Twitter....This was made for grown adults doing football talk instead of debating on who has character and making accusations of my sexual preference jst because you dont agree with my comments....GROW UP
.....none of them are saints

TrevorT writes:

in response to radtiger:

.....none of them are saints

Blah, blah, blah. This is is officially boring now. Let's just say you win so I don't have to communicate with you anymore. Have fun with all the other grown adults doing football talk genius.