Both Clemson and Virginia Tech will be looking to take a step up the ACC standings ladder when the teams meet today at Littlejohn Coliseum.
The match-up between the Tigers and Hokies is one of two games on the ACC schedule on Sunday. At 6 p.m., Florida State will play at league-leading Miami.
On Saturday, N.C. State (5-2) held onto second place by beating North Carolina 91-83. Duke (4-2) bounced back from its loss to Miami with an 84-64 win over Maryland, and Virginia (4-2) stayed even with the Blue Devils by beating Boston College 65-51. Georgia Tech (1-5) picked up its first ACC victory, 82-62, over Wake Forest (3-4).
Clemson, at 2-4, is currently in 10th place, one slot behind Virginia Tech (2-3).
Site: Littlejohn Coliseum (10,000)
Tipoff: 1:07 PM
Radio: Clemson Tiger Sports Network (Pete Yanity - play-by-play; Philip Sikes - color)
TV: ACC Network (Tim Brant - play-by-play; Mike Gminski - color)
Overall: Virginia Tech leads 14-12
at Clemson: Clemson leads 7-5
at Littlejohn: Clemson leads 7-2
at Virginia Tech: Virginia Tech leads 8-5
at Neutral: Virginia Tech leads 1-0
First Meeting: Virginia Tech won, 27-13, in 1924-25
Last Meeting: Virginia Tech won, 68-63, in 2011-12
Streak: Virginia Tech has won two of three
• Clemson and Virginia Tech square off for the 27th time in the series Sunday. The Hokies lead the competitive series 14-12, having won two of three games a season ago. Clemson is 7-2 against Tech in Littlejohn Coliseum.
• The Tigers enter the game on a two-game losing streak. Clemson lost a heartbreaker at the buzzer Thursday to Florida State in Tallahassee, 60-57. Michael Snaer banked in a three from about 30 feet away to help the Seminoles erase a 13-point Tiger lead.
• Virginia Tech comes into the contest having lost five of its last seven overall. The Hokies did win back-to-back ACC games over Georgia Tech and Wake Forest on Jan. 12 and Jan. 19.
• Virginia Tech coach James Johnson was an assistant under Brad Brownell at Clemson last April...for 12 days. Johnson was hired on April 19, but after Seth Greenberg was fired on April 23, he became Tech’s next head coach a week later on May 1.
• Tech assistant Mark Byington played under Clemson’s Brad Brownell when he was an assistant coach at UNC Wilmington from 1994-98.
• Sunday’s game will be part of a doubleheader with the women’s team. The Lady Tigers will face Maryland at 5 p.m., after the men’s game. All tickets to the women’s game are $1.
• Youth tickets for Sunday’s game against Virginia Tech will be just $5 with a paying adult. The offer can be redeemed at the East Gate Box Office outside Littlejohn Coliseum.
• Clemson will hold its annual alumni reunion this weekend. Over 70 former players, coaches, managers and trainers will be honored at halftime of Sunday’s game.
• This weekend, Clemson’s coaches and support staff will take part in the Suits and Sneakers initiative to help raise awareness for the Coaches vs. Cancer project.
• Clemson’s defense has limited other teams’ top scorers, but will have its hands full Sunday as the nation’s top scorer - Tech guard Erick Green - comes in with a 25.2 scoring average. Green had 35 of the Hokies’ 58 points against Virginia.
• Devin Booker has scored double figures in all six ACC games. He leads the ACC with a .563 field goal percentage in conference play.