Clemson WR DeAndre Hopkins' jump to the NFL looking like a slam dunk

Many mock drafts projecting Tigers' junior record-breaker as a first-rounder

DeAndre Hopkins

DeAndre Hopkins

Even by Dabo Swinney's conservative standards, DeAndre Hopkins looks to be a slam dunk to enter the NFL draft.

Swinney, as a rule of thumb, counsels his players to stay if they're not going to be first rounders.

Based on various draft-watching websites, it appears that Clemson's record-breaking junior wide receiver has a very good chance to be selected in the first round, and, if not, no later than the early second round.

His highest projection, by DraftSite.com, has him going 15th overall to the New Orleans Saints.

In CBSSports.com's two mock draft models, Hopkins is picked to go No. 21 overall to the Pittsburgh Steelers, and No. 30 to the Baltimore Ravens.

The SportX-Change lists him as the No. 4 wide receiver on the board, and notes that his stock is rising.

WalterFootball.com has Hopkins going early in the second round to the Buffalo Bills, while Draftek.com projects him as a first-round choice of the Minnesota Vikings.

InsideTheWarroom.com lists him fourth among available wide receivers behind Keenan Allen of California, Tavon Austin of West Virginia, and Cordarrelle Patterson of Tennessee.

Like quarterback Tajh Boyd, who said on Wednesday that he nearly played himself into the NFL draft with his performance against LSU, Hopkins also enhanced his draft status with a spectacular showing in Atlanta.

He finished the season with 82 receptions for 1,405 yards, breaking Sammy Watkins' single season reception yardage record. He set an ACC record by catching a touchdown pass in his 10th consecutive game, and another when he grabbed his 18th touchdown pass of the season. He also became the first Clemson player to have three 100-yard receiving games in bowl games.

antjam writes:

According to the stats at ESPN, Nuk had 1405 yards and 18 TDs for the year. Curious to know which stats are correct.

BrandonRink writes:

in response to antjam:

Just a typo, 1,405 is correct.

mrdoug1944#284617 writes:

HOPE HE MAKES THE RIGHT DECISION-IF HE GOES PRO HE WILL SURELY BE MISSED BY ALL TIGER FANS AND HIS TEAMATES--WISH HIM WELL AND HOPE HE HAS ANOTHER GREAT SEASON

lhaselden writes:

I will be pulling for Nuk no matter where he is playing... He is a Tiger and will be forever. I have enjoyed watching him progress and hope I get to enjoy watching him next year in the NFL. If I was Atlanta I would trade up to get him... he plays really good in the Ga dome!!! :-)

lhaselden writes:

" I looked up in the stands after the bowl game, and I saw all of the fans and saw all of the orange, and I wanted to just take it all in. I really thought after the game that I would be leaving.”
Tahj Boyd

Chad Kelly's tweet from a day ago, only his wasn't censored:

"D_ mn"

Thats all it said.

I think he wanted Tajh to leave.

Bleedsorange writes:

Lucky for him he red shirted.

TigerMarine writes:

Nuk will leave and be the unstoppable force we've come to know. I'm glad Tajh is coming back but I'm sticking to my guns Chad Kelly (if he keeps his nose clean) will be the greatest QB Clemson has ever seen and another year to learn behind a great one like Boyd will be a good thing in the long run.

Bleedsorange writes:

Not saying you're wrong but I will wait until I see him take the field before I say that.. ...... hope you're right though especially as high as Tajh set the bar.

Hey Nuk say something you're killing me.

radtiger writes:

Smart decision by Hopkins, he will do well in the NFL. We need to keep in mind that these guys dreams is to play football on SUNDAYS and not on Saturdays...We should be grateful that they put their livelihood on the line week after week for our entertainment and not be so quick to call them "THUGS" or anything negative when they make mistakes like all other teenagers.

waran writes:

Yes, Nuke ids great and he will really be missed. But if that is the best for him, GOOD LUCK and thanks for the great seasons.

I agree with TigerMarine. I am glad Tajh is back but in 2 years, Chad will be the best we have seen. We need some good WR. High School WRs, you know where to go if you want to play with the best!

FlopEye writes:

TIGERMARINE, Do you think Chad Kelly will be better
than Willie Korn ?

putter2 writes:

Derek Watson is the QB coming to town.