One more year: All-America QB Tajh Boyd returning to Clemson to finish the job

Junior ACC player of the year opts against declaring for the 2013 NFL draft

Clemson quarterback Tajh Boyd gets a surprise hug from offensive coordinator Chad Morris, after he announcing his intent to return for another season, following his press conference at the West end zone team room in Clemson.

Photo by Ken Ruinard

For the second time in four years, Dabo Swinney has hit the jackpot with a '10-star signee.'

Tajh Boyd gave Swinney and offensive coordinator Chad Morris an early recruiting season prize when he announced on Wednesday that he'll return to school for his senior season.

Already a Clemson and ACC record-holder in many passing and total offense categories, Boyd will try to put a championship touch on a career that, after two years as a starter, includes first-team All-America and ACC player of the year honors.

"I'm not ready to give all this up yet," said Boyd, "so I'm here to announce that I'm returning to Clemson for my senior season. If somebody could tweet that to my fans, that would be great right now."

Just as C.J. Spiller did four years ago when he announced his decision to return to Clemson, Boyd weighed the options carefully before made what he believes is the best decision both for himself and Clemson.

"It was a big process, and it came down to pros and cons on both sides," said Boyd. "It mainly came down to my enjoyment here. I love Clemson and I love college football. I felt like I had a good enough grade to go out and have an opportunity to compete. But at the same time, I'm just not ready to drop this right now.

"There are a lot of things we've got left on the table here. Personally, I just decided in my heart that I want to come back and enjoy this last season."

Boyd said he was being projected to be drafted between the late second and fourth rounds.

Boyd couldn't leave Clemson yet

Boyd credits college experience for comeback

Boyd is coming off one the most impressive performances of his career - an MVP showing in the Chick-fil-A Bowl against seventh-ranked LSU in which he completed 36 of 50 passes for 346 yards and carried the ball 29 times in the game, accounting for 79 of Clemson's 100 plays from scrimmage. His highlight moment came late in the fourth quarter when, on fourth-and-16, he delivered a 23-yard pass to DeAndre Hopkins, which helped set up Chandler Catanzaro's winning field goal in a 25-24 Clemson victory.

He said his performance in the bowl game initially pushed him toward deciding to jump to the NFL.

"At first, it seemed to me to be a pretty clear-cut decision," Boyd said. "But it's been wavering for the past five days. I sat down and prayed about it, and I just feel like this is the best decision for me.

"I had told myself, I had a little list, and I said if I do this and this against LSU, then I'm going to come out. That's what I was thinking earlier. But the more I talked about it, I got some great counsel and advice. I got to talk to Dwayne (Allen) and it helped me with my thought process and the way I measured everything up. It wasn't just flipping a coin. It was something I had to think about."

His two touchdown passes against LSU broke the ACC season record held by N.C. State's Philip Rivers. Going into the bowl game, Boyd already had set a conference record for touchdown responsibility with 43.

Boyd finished the season 287-of-427 passing for 3,896 yards and 36 touchdowns, with 13 interceptions. He completed 67.2 percent of his passes, and had 62 completions of 20 yards or more.

He finished fifth in the nation in passing efficiency (165.59), was seventh in total offense (339.23), and second to Heisman Trophy winner Johnny Manziel of Texas A&M in points responsibility (21.54 per game). He led Clemson to a No. 6 national ranking in scoring (41.0) and a ninth-place standing in total offense (512.69).

Boyd says he has a strong desire to finish what he started when he became part of Dabo Swinney's first Clemson recruiting class in 2009.

"I've developed so much since I've been here, from a personal standpoint, to my faith, and as a player," Boyd said. "I feel like I can continue to develop a little bit more.

"When Coach Swinney came in, he had this vision and dream for this program. And I sort of had the same type of deal. I feel like we have an opportunity to do something special next year. I've gotten better each year and we've gotten better each year. The way our off-season is going to go, and the way all of our players are going to be pushed, I think we can do something even more special."

Dabo Swinney talks about Tajh Boyd coming back...

Allen talks Tajh Boyd's decision

None

“He made the best decision for himself and for Clemson. This is great for our program because I think he is the best quarterback in the country. He is not only the leader of the offense, he is the leader of this team.

“It is the best decision for him because he will benefit from another year of experience as the quarterback at this level. It will definitely make him more prepared for the National Football League.

“This is an exciting announcement for our team, coaches and our fans.”

bdog1981 writes:

Alright Tajh!! Can't wait to see what the Tigers do in 2013. Go Tigers!!

TigerShore12 writes:

1 down......1 to go. Alright Nuke, what will it be? stay......stay....stay.....stay, STAY!!!!

justcurious writes:

crharvey84#285614 writes:

Tajh, very proud you put your education, & team first.

TIGERS VS DOGS
TAJH VS MURRAY
2013 DEATH VALLEY

brookesdad729 writes:

That's what I'm talkin bout baby! Come on Nuk! Although I know your stock is higher and won't blame you if you do go pro! Go Tigers!

TigerMarine writes:

I SMELL ..... I SMELL ..... I SMELL .....14-0 BABY

Lynx26 writes:

Turn up!!!!!
Nuke, no pressure big homie. lol. I say go as a football mind/alumn. But as a fan I'd love for you to stay! Either way you're A-Okay in my book.

TheRealistTruth writes:

Clowney officially likes this. Another year, another beat down.

ragman86 writes:

Happy he's coming back! Great Christian kid and wish him nothing but great things! College football needs humble young men like him!

omnipotent1 writes:

in response to TheRealistTruth:

Clowney officially likes this. Another year, another beat down.

There always is a chicken turd in the punch bowl.

Tajh, glad to have you back. You had a great year. Keep working as hard as you have this year and I believe your best days are still in front of you.

justcurious writes:

I said 3 years ago, Tagh should be on the field and Parker on the side lines, not even in the same league. Parker was Dabbbbby doo's hero

harryD writes:

hey realist truth ... wanna go snipe hunting?

cuGIZ82 writes:

Welcome BACK!!!! Nuk, I understand if you opt out but if you decide to stay, I would appreciate it.

Anybody see Hopkins after the LSU game? After the field goal, Benton runs up to him as all the guys were celebrating, Hopkins totally ignored him and jogged over to stare into the stands. Didn't look like much of a team-mate. Had a really good game and a good year, but wanted all the attention at that moment. Sad.

lhaselden writes:

in response to Bigboots:

I wonder who NUK was looking for in the stands?
Bigboots you are sad... Nuk has paid his dues and earned the right in the LSU game to celebrate anyway he wanted to celebrate. I wish him the best. I love watching Nuk play.. he has game!

Brucepg2000 writes:

"Simply reporting what I observed. Disappointed because I like him as a Tiger fan and will be pulling for him on Sundays. His post-game behavior made it appear that Benton was beneath him. Perhaps he did not intend for it to appear so. Perhaps he did. If you missed it, watch the espn replay. Plain as day.
Either way, he had a fantastic season and career at Clemson. I expect him to be a success in the NFL."

Guess what happened he suddenly felt the weight of the anvil just like Tahj did. I'm sure he meant no disrespect to Benton. Can't please em' all Nuk. If he were acting crazy then there would be a guy out there saying he was immature or some other incident occurred, ran over a cheerleader, old lady, etc, etc.. Boots c'mon man this post just makes you sound a bit insecure.