No. 1 UNC, Virginia and Miami stayed among the unbeaten in college baseball after two weeks of play.
The Tar Heels (6-0) breezed in games one and two at home against Stony Brook, and a two-run ninth inning rally preserved the undefeated stretch. The Cavaliers (7-0) rolled over Toledo in Charlottesville, with a 15-strikeout game from lefty Brandon Waddell in the mix, and are averaging 10.4 runs a game. Down in Coral Gables, the ‘Canes (7-0) swept Milwaukee.
After cracking Baseball America’s top-25 last week, No. 25 Virginia Tech (5-1) recovered from dropping its weekend opener to Temple, 7-3 – taking three-straight through Monday against Holy Cross and Delaware.
Joining Clemson and Miami in sweeping away opponents were Duke (over Bucknell), No. 19 Florida State (over South Florida), Maryland (over Oakland) and No. 10 NC State (over Wagner, La Salle).
The Wolfpack (5-1) scored 43 runs over the course of the Sunday doubleheader against Wagner, and versus La Salle, lefty Carlos Rodon struck out 14 in seven innings and combined with Karl Keglovits for a no-hitter.
Wake Forest (5-3) won 3-of-4 hosting West Virginia and Youngstown State, and No. 16 Georgia Tech (6-1) took 2-of-3 from St. John’s.
Boston College (1-5) fell in all three at the Keith LeClair Classic at ECU, to the Pirates, Ohio and Illinois.
This Weekend’s Opponent
After some opening weekend issues, South Carolina (5-1) eased through its series with Albany, earning the sweep in a 28-8 run rout. Right-handers Colby Holmes, Forrest Koumas and Josh Knab combined for the first no-hitter since 1975 in Gamecocks’ history.
Top-5 ACC Batting Leaders Individual
1. Georgia Tech INF Matt Gonzalez – 13 RBI/.462 BA/HR
2. N.C. State SS Trea Turner – .500 BA/9 RBI/12 R/4 SB
3. FSU LF Marcus Davis – 1.136 Slug/.455 BA/4 HR/9 RBI
4. UNC OF Skye Bolt – .545 BA/12 H/7 RBI
5. Maryland OF Charlie White – 10 SB/.458 BA/5 RBI
Top-5 ACC Pitching Leaders Individual
1. GT RHP Buck Farmer – 1-0/.154 opp. BA/0 ER/21 K/0 BB
2. Miami RHP Javi Salas – 2-0/.195 opp. BA/0 ER
3. UNC LHP Kent Emanuel – 2-0/.154 opp. BA/0.56 ERA/13 K/2 BB
4. FSU RHP Scott Sitz – 1-0/.190 opp. BA/0 ER
5. UVa LHP Brandon Waddell – 1-0/0.84 ERA/20 K/3 BB
Top-5 ACC Team Batting Leaders
1. Virginia – .323 BA/8 HR/71 RBI/76 H/46 BB
2. N.C. State – .327 BA/10 HR/64 RBI
3. Georgia Tech .328 BA/77 H/18 2B/54 RBI/38 BB
4. Virginia Tech .314 BA/8 HR/85 H/54 BB
5. UNC – .314 BA/52 R/32 BB
Top-5 ACC Team Pitching Leaders
1. N.C. State – 1.33 ERA/.138 opp. BA/56 K/8 ER/17 BB
2. UNC – 2.00 ERA/.162 opp. BA/48 K/12 ER
3. Miami – 1.71 ERA/48 K/14 BB/12 ER
4. Virginia – 2.14 ERA/60 K/19 BB/15 ER
5. Clemson – 2.50 ERA/40 K/18 BB/15 ER