The Clemson men's tennis team won another match over a higher-ranked opponent on Sunday, as the Tigers blanked Louisville 4-0 in a match played indoors at Hoke Sloan Tennis Center because of cold, windy conditions.
Clemson entered the match ranked 57th nationally, while Louisville was ranked 35th. On Friday, the Tigers had knocked off 45th-ranked Alabama by a 7-2 score.
The victory improved Clemson's record to 8-1.
Clemson won the doubles point and took an early 1-0 lead. The Tigers’ Yannick Maden defeated Sebastian Stiefelmeyer at number-one singles 6-1, 6-2 to give Clemson a 1-0 lead in a match of ranked players. Maden is 13-4 overall in singles, and has a 7-1 mark at number-one singles
Ayrton Wibowo was a 6-4, 6-3 winner over the Cardinals’ Michael Lippens at number-four singles to give the Tigers a 3-0 advantage. The victory was Wibowo's eighth of the season.
Hunter Harrington clinched the match for the Tigers as he defeated Chris Simich 3-6, 6-1, 6-4 at number-two singles. Harrington is 9-4 overall in singles this year and has a 5-1 mark in dual match play.
“I’m happy to get the win over a very good Louisville team,” said Clemson coach Chuck McCuen. “Louisville is a top-25 program traditionally, and is a well- coached team.
“Today’s win was big for us in that we are learning how to win. We are learning how to fight and stay in points longer. We are learning how to persevere. Harrington staying in his match and coming away with a win, that is an example of that. Wibowo lost a close match against Alabama on Friday and today he played well and had a good win, that again is learning perseverance.
"This is what we have been emphasizing this year and that is to never give up and keep working hard."
Clemson will play at Auburn on Friday, March 22, in the Tigers’ next action.
Clemson 4, Louisville 0
1. #83 Yannick Maden (CU) d. #115 Sebastian Stiefelmeyer (L) 6-1, 6-2
2. Hunter Harrington (CU) d. Chris Simich (L) 3-6, 6-1, 6-4
3. Gerardo Meza (CU) vs. Albert Wagner (L) Unfinished
4. Ayrton Wibowo (CU) d. Michael Lippens (L) 6-4, 6-3
5. Zachary Rigsby (CU) vs. Austin Siegel (L) Unfinished
6. Austin Ansari (CU) vs. Alex Gornet (L) Unfinished
Order of Finish: 1, 4, 2
1. Y. Maden/Rigsby (CU) vs. #31 Wagner/Gornet (L) Unfinished
2. Wibowo/Ansari (CU) d. Stiefelmeyer/Derognat (L) 8-6
3. Harrington/Meza (CU) d. Luis Elizondo/Siegel (L) 8-2
Order of Finish: 3, 2