MADISON, Wis. - Clemson defeated Wisconsin 5-2 in a men’s intercollegiate tennis match at the Nielsen Tennis Stadium Sunday afternoon.
With the win, Clemson is now 6-1 on the year, while the setback was the first of the season for Wisconsin, now 5-1. The Tigers are ranked 57th nationally according to the latest Intercollegiate Tennis Association poll.
At number-one singles, Yannick Maden improved to a team-leading 11-4 record overall in singles this season, as he defeated Billy Bertha 6-0, 4-6, 6-2.
Clemson’s Hunter Harrington improved to 8-4 overall this season as he defeated the Badgers’ Oskar Wikberg 6-1, 7-6 at number-two singles.
The Tigers won two more singles points as Clemson’s Zachary Rigsby won at number-five singles with a victory over Jakhongir Jalalov 6-4, 6-4. Clemson freshman Austin Ansari defeated the Badgers’ Alexander Kokorez 6-2, 6-0 at number-six singles. Ansari is 7-3 in singles play, and Rigsby is now 4-1 this year.
Clemson played without starter Dominique Maden, who was sidelined a sore shoulder, but should return to the lineup soon. The Tigers’ doubles team of Yannick Maden and Dominique Maden are ranked 18th nationally.
The Tigers won the doubles point as Ansari and Ayrton Wibowo won at number-two doubles andHarrington and Gerardo Meza won at number-three doubles.
Clemson will play host to Alabama on Friday at 2:30 p.m. and Louisville on Sunday at 11 a.m. in the Tigers’ next action. he matches will be held at the Hoke Sloan Tennis Center.
1. Yannick Maden (CU) d. Billy Bertha (W) 6-0, 4-6, 6-2
2. Hunter Harrington (CU) d. Oskar Wikberg (W) 6-1, 7-6 (8-6)
3. Petr Satral (W) d. Gerardo Meza (CU) 7-6 (10-8), 7-5
4. Alexander Kostanov (W) d. Ayrton Wibowo (CU) 6-3, 6-7 (6-4), 6-0
5. Zachary Rigsby (CU) d. Jakhongir Jalalov (W) 6-4, 6-4
6. Austin Ansari (CU) d. Alexander Kokorev (W) 6-2, 6-0
1. Billy Bertha/Oskar Wikberg (W) d. Yannick Maden/Zachary Rigsby (CU) 8-6
2. Austin Ansari/Ayrton Wibowo (CU) d. Petr Satral/Alexander Kostanov (W) 8-7 (8-6)
3. Hunter Harrington/Gerardo Meza (CU) d. Jakhongir Jalalov/Alexander Kokorev (W) 8-2
Order of Finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (6,2,5,1,4,3)