Swinney says Grayson DB Ryan Carter 'earned his scholarship on his own merits'

The Clemson Sports Blog

Grayson DB Ryan Carter (Pic per CUTigers.com, Roy Philpott)

Grayson DB Ryan Carter (Pic per CUTigers.com, Roy Philpott)

Ryan Carter is his own man. A top-flight prospect in his own right. Nobody's pawn.

Dabo Swinney wanted to make sure everyone understood that when he held Carter's official signing for several hours on Wednesday, separating his announcement from that of teammates Wayne Gallman to Clemson, and Robert Nkemdiche and David Kamara to Ole Miss.

Carter, you may recall, became involved in Nkemdiche's Summer Circus when the nation's No. 1 prospect told a recruiting website that if Clemson would offer Carter, it would seal his 'commitment' to the Tigers.

Rather than jumping at what Nkemdiche insisted was never intended as an ultimatum, Swinney and his staff continued evaluating - a process in which Carter already was part among a pool of possible defensive back prospects.

Three weeks ago, as Clemson ramped up its effort to boost its number in the secondary, Carter made an official visit to Clemson, along with newly-discovered T.J. Green and Marcus Edmond, who had been recruited by Mike Reed at N.C. State. Green, Edmond and Carter were offered, and both Green and Edmond announced their commitments.

Carter held off, avoiding publicity.

Early Wednesday morning, Carter signed with the Tigers and a photo was tweeted of him with his NLI at Grayson High.

Just after noon, Clemson officially released Carter's name as a signee.

Why the delay?

"I wanted to purposely hold him," explained Swinney. "He signed up this morning, but we wanted to hold him. Unfortunately, there were some things written in the recruiting process early that was not fair to this young man - not fair at all.

"This is a heck of a football player and we're fortunate to have him. I wanted to make sure that he was completely separate, so that people wouldn't write their own agendas.

"This is a young man who has earned his scholarship on his own merits, and he's a guy that when it's all said and done is going to be a heck of a player for us."

Swinney said Carter has the ability to help the Tigers in a variety of ways.

"He can do a lot of things," Swinney said. "He was the fastest guy on the team at Grayson, he has excellent ball skills, instinctive, he can be a returner. He's just a really, really good player.

"I hate to label him, but I'd say that Ryan Carter will be the Adam Humphries of this class. I really feel like this is a guy that when we look back on this signing class four years from now, everybody's going to say 'golly.'

Glad to have Ryan Carter. Hope he proves he is a quality player and enjoys his years at Clemson. Same for Gallman.

Not going to miss Nkemdouche. Over-rated. Big time over-rated. Good player, but too much of a baby-sitting project.

waran writes:

Glad Carter is here. More importantly, like Dabbo's comments and support.

BostonTiger writes:

Met both Ryan Carter & his father on their recruiting visit. He is a great young man from a sound family. Welcome to Tiger town!!!

radtiger writes:

in response to Bigboots:

Would you be calling him over rated had he signed with us???? Stop hating on these kids and their talent.They have the right to go to whichever school they choose and you as an adult should be proud and supportive of all of these young men that put their livelihood on the line week after week for our entertainment. Keep in mind, its a game to us but to them its their future.

cuGIZ82 writes:

Can not wait to see how well the defense will play in 2013...GO TIGERS!!!!

KIMOSAMI (Inactive) writes:

Carter is a good football player who is fast and can/will/does hit. Hard.

He was done wrong by the likes of Michael Carvell of the AJC by posting Nkimdiche's comment as if it was an ultimatum. It embarrased both Carter and Nkimdiche and put Carter in a no win situation. At least that's how it looked to me.

Michael Carvell is at it again toward Clemson. He stated outright yesterday that DeShaun Watson committed to Clemson last year "impulsively". That is not true. Watson stated at the time how he had been a Clemson fan for a long time and loved the place.

Carvell must be a UGA grad. Seems as if he sticks the knife to Clemson at every chance.

TigerMarine writes:

in response to radtiger:

No their education is their future and they are the lucky ones to get it for ball skills. Unlike many of the others who really put their lives on the line on foreign soil who don't get their picture on every channel being a spoiled snot. Overrated or not Nkemdechi is a spoiled mammas boy and I wish him physically well but I also hope his college career is a failure. We got the highest rated humble player and I thank god for that.

TigerMarine writes:

His college FOOTBALL career I meant

in response to radtiger:

That is easily the most foolish comment I have read in a while.
I hope nkemdouche is a miserable failure, I hope he hates every minute he spends at ole mi$$. And I hope his mother is anguished by her overbearing influence that brought his misery to bear. You as an adult should chew on that, son.

drunkninja18 writes:

in response to Bigboots:

That is easily the most foolish comment I have read in a while.

By wishing that on him, how is that helping you or Clemson? He wants to play with his brother, he chose the school he wanted to play for and that is that! I wish him the best and we'll find someone else.

To wish harm on anyone who doesn't come to Clemson, shows immaturity.

radtiger writes:

in response to TigerMarine:

Wishing failure on a kids college career and Thanking God in the same conversation proves that you are a hypocrite.and if you think that any of these boys choose any of these schools because of education....think again!!!! Their dream is to play ball on SUNDAYS and in order to do that, they have to play on Saturdays first.......THATS THE FUTURE THAT THEY LOOK FORWARD TO.

radtiger writes:

in response to drunkninja18:

To wish harm on anyone who doesn't come to Clemson, shows immaturity.

I agree with you ,wishing harm on players on other teams is very inmature and doesnt help Clemson at all....case and point....Marcus Lattimore was injured 2 years in a row and the Gamecocks still beat us both times

TigerMarine writes:

in response to radtiger:

I am a fire and brimstone old testament kinda guy. Nkemdeche is the DEFINITION of vanity so me looking to be a hypocrite to you makes sense but me and my god are just fine. Punish the wicked reward the good. Lattimore was a crying shame that he went to the dark side but his bad luck most of all. This world is going down in a hand basket because we overlook evil. I am very proud of the caliber of young men Clemson requires. When we win the national championship with good men THAT will be a good day.

Fine for you,rad. You got it bad for nkemdouche. Buy his jersey and wear it everywhere you go. If they let you deliver pizza in something other than a polyester Dominoes shirt.
Maybe he will love you back someday.
He is still over-rated. Watch him and you will see there's no way he is the top recruit in this class of high school seniors. Not a chance.
But don't let that take the sweetness off your crush.

radtiger writes:

in response to Bigboots:

Maybe he will love you back someday.
But don't let that take the sweetness off your crush.

No Im trying to find the jersey that has "BIGBOOTS" on it and no I dont deliver pizza, I am a Radiologist and i guess its safe to assume that you are a volunteer Sports analysis..... making critiques of the players and not getting paid for it.

radtiger writes:

in response to TigerMarine:

Winning a National championship?????Are we in denial again and setting ourself up for disappointment like we do every year. The only way we will win a National championship is if the SEC and all of the other conferences go on strike.

Rad, that last comment was revealing. What a coot.
I had already determined you were a bone lover.
Now it all makes perfect sense.