The 19th-ranked Clemson women’s tennis team won all six singles matches en route to a 6-1 win over No. 30 South Carolina on Sunday at the Clemson Indoor Tennis Center. Clemson (2-2) evened the all-time series at 23-23, and has now won six of the last seven over the Gamecocks, who fell to 3-2 on the season.
After South Carolina claimed to the doubles point with wins on courts one and two, sophomores Beatrice Gumulya and Romy Koelzer quickly turned the tide, winning in straight sets to give Clemson a 2-1 lead. Gumulya, ranked 77th nationally, downed Dominika Kanakova, 6-4, 6-0, to improve to 10-1 on the year, and to 21-1 over her last 22 matches. Koelzer, ranked 69th in the nation, won 6-2, 6-2 over Adriana Pereira on court four to up her season record to 10-5.
South Carolina claimed the first set at both one and two, as No. 34 Jaklin Alawi outlasted No. 32 Yana Koroleva in a tiebreaker in the first set. The Tiger sophomore responded emphatically, winning the final two sets, 6-2, 6-0 to improve to 5-4 against ranked opponents this season.
Liz Jeukeng, who dropped the first set against No. 96 Katerina Popova on court two, came back for a 4-6, 6-1, 6-1 win, moving her ledger to 4-1 on the young season, and 3-1 against nationally ranked opponents.
Tristen Dewar won her match on court six by default over Josefin Andersson, and Ani Miao won her second straight match with a 6-4, 6-0 win over Ximena Siles on court five.
Clemson will next play Georgia Tech on Feb. 13 at 1:30 pm in Clemson. That match is tentatively slated to be played outdoors.
No. 19 Clemson v. No. 30 South Carolina
Feb. 3, 2013 - Clemson Indoor Tennis Center
1. Alawi/Kanakova (SC) def. Gumulya/Miao (CU), 8-4
2. Popova/Andersson (SC) def. Koelzer/Jeukeng (CU), 8-4
3. Siles/Pereira (SC) led Dewar/Pederzani (CU), 6-5
Order of finish: 2,1
1. #32 Yana Koroleva (CU) def. #34 Jaklin Alawi (SC) 6-7, 6-2, 6-0
2. Liz Jeukeng (CU) def. #96 Katerina Popova (SC), 4-6, 6-1, 6-1
3. #77 Beatrice Gumulya (CU) def. Dominika Kanakova (SC), 6-4, 6-0
4. #69 Romy Koelzer (CU) def. Adriana Pereira (SC), 6-2, 6-2
5. Ani Miao (CU) def. Ximena Siles (SC), 6-4, 6-0
6. Tristen Dewar (CU) def. Josefin Andersson (SC), 6-4, default
Order of Finish: 4,3,1,2,6,5