Devin Coleman set to transfer out of Clemson program

Men's Basketball - Devin Coleman & Rod Hall

Men's Basketball - Devin Coleman & Rod Hall

Red-shirt sophomore guard Devin Coleman intends to transfer from the Clemson men’s basketball program, Head Coach Brad Brownell announced Saturday.

“We appreciate Devin’s contributions to the program the last two and a half years and wish him nothing but the best in the future,” Brownell said.

Coleman appeared in 32 career games for the Tigers and scored 111 points. He was Clemson’s high scorer as a freshman in the 2012 ACC Tournament against Virginia Tech with 15 points. In 10 appearances this season with one start, Coleman was averaging 5.4 points per game with three double figure efforts in the scoring column.

tigerrob44 writes:

Why is he leaving?

BlueRidgeBengal writes:

my guess is playing time. we play alot of guys. i would rather someone transfer than stay if their unhappy.

tigerrob44 writes:

I think I agree with you on that. I remember one guy that transferred and had he stayed we might have made the Final Four. Horace Grant's twin brother Harvey left and if he had stayed we might have gone all the way. We had a really good team when Horace was playing and if Harvey had stayed we would have been hard to beat in the tournament. I think we went to the Sweet 16 or maybe the Elite 8. I can't remember.

tigerrob44 writes:

in response to BlueRidgeBengal:

I might have been wrong about the Sweet 16. I looked it up and we didn't get there. I had it in my head we went pretty far in the NCAA Tournament but we didn't. We were 25 and 6 Horace's senior year but lost our last 3 games. In 1980 we went to the West Regional Finals in Albuquerque and lost to UCLA and they went on to win the National Championship. That was Larry Nance's senior season and he's as good as we ever had.

84tele writes:

So you come to CU, get hurt, we carry you for a year while you heal, and then you bail. Wow

13tiger5 writes:

This hurts. Coleman is our best player off the bench. He really does deserve more minutes than he has been playing. We have had too many transfers over the last 4 years (hill, Johnson, Stanton, sapp, now coleman) which tells me Brownell's biggest weakness is player rotations

HoopsMan writes:

in response to 13tiger5:

I would say that his biggest weakness is not just player rotations. He lost 3 of his first 5 recruits at this point and the highly touted defense has yet to play against any teams that are actually decent. Umass was the first and only team this year we have played that was really any good. All the other teams when we played them have had either losing records or barely 50-50 records. When you are playing cupcake teams you should be undefeated and not winning by a few points here and there. The games where we have blown out the opponent have been against teams with records like 5-4, or 3-6. It's easy to be ranked the highest in defense in the country when you are playing teams that are weak. This is year is almost the same as when Purnell was here and we went 17-0 to start out. We played weak teams and when we came into the conference play we got ripped. The only difference between then and now is the coach and Brownell is losing players left and right. I am hoping for the best this year but I have been doing that for 4 years now since Brownell got here. So far I have been pretty disappointed. It was nice to have the NCAA bail us out his first year here by expanding how many teams get into the tourney though so we could get in......