Chad Morris denies report about Arkansas State interview

Football - Chad Morris

Football - Chad Morris

Clemson offensive coordinator Chad Morris denied a report of an interview with Arkansas State for their open head coaching job Monday night after practice.

Morris denies Arkansas State interview

Orange Bowl practice three days in

Coaching-carousel site FootballScoop.com reported Monday night also that Morris, along with Arizona State's Mike Norvell and Baylor's Phillip Montgomery, had interviewed for the spot over the weekend.

"No, I haven't interviewed with Arkansas State," Morris said. "No, I haven't talked to anybody from Arkansas State."

The third-year coordinator went on to say no other school has reached out to him at this point.

Arkansas State hired Morris mentor Gus Malzahn from Auburn in 2012, who then was the nation's highest-paid coordinator (like Morris now). Their next coach, Bryan Harsin, went on to Boise State in the last week.

clmtgr92 writes:

And until he can prove his offense works against a tough defense and he can adjust his game plan (or beat FSU and USCe in other words), the phone calls will be few and far between

brookesdad729 writes:

in response to clmtgr92:

I agree 100%! A lot of us won't talk about it but this was a disappointing season to me. Morris' offense is a little too cute and complex in my opinion. I really got hot when we tried that pass with Sammy in the SC game when we were already moving the ball on them. Ughhh! Nonetheless, right now what Morris' has is an offense that has tons of plays but we haven't mastered any of them to perfection. Trying to use everyone but the waterboy when we need to just perfect something with our playmakers and run it week in and week out. This year with the way our defense has played, I just knew we would be better with the experienced players we have on both sides of the ball but we really weren't. We have no identity other than commentators saying how many skill players we have etc...that and a buck will buy you a cup of coffee. We were a better team than FSU for a few years and now they've reloaded and are playing for a national title! They caught up with us and passed us and that's disheartening to me at least! I love Clemson football deep down in my soul, maybe a little too much (according to my wife). I'm not as upset about losing to FSU and SC as I am about us not playing like we're capable of playing. It's time to get the easy non-conference games off the schedule and take it in the mouth from some tough competition. We will win some and lose some but it sure will make us better in the long run. I've been waiting to vent that since the SC loss...sorry for going off on a tangent! Go Tigers! Beat OSU!

tigerrob44 writes:

Our offense averaged over 500 yards a game and we scored 40 points a game. In over 100 years playing football I don't think we have done that. What are you people looking for in a coach and how many points would a team need to score to be good in your opinion? I can't explain the FSU game but the SC game is easy to figure out what went wrong. And it had nothing to do with our offense to speak of. You play the teams on your schedule and we did and we won 10 times and our offense for the most part moved the ball up and down the field on everybody we played except FSU. Quit complaining so much about things that don't need to be complained about. We have an opportunity to go down to the Orange Bowl and beat a good team. That would put us back in the top 10 and we could end the season on a good night in Miami. If you all want to criticize the Tigers all the time then stay home. They don't need your kind of support.

clemvol writes:

Well lets see, 40+ points a game against who? Looks like it was against SC State, Wake Forest, Syracuse, Maryland, Virginia, Georgia Tech, Citidel. Tough elite teams? I don't think so. Offense averaging 500+ yards a game again, against who? If folks are satisfied with this then by all means continue to pour the support into the program. If folks are satisfied to continue to pay $8,000,000.00+ all included to this coaching staff then by all means continue to sign the checks. Until we can beat top tier teams on a consistent basis then i and anyone else can complain that we are not getting a "bang for our buck". Also, we can continue to be told that when a player is recruited that the 1st priority is his education. Now the word is there will be players not making the bowl trip. Someone tell us why that the football team graduation percentage in the last 10 years averages 57 percent. Here lies another problem ( there are others ) that we keep getting the carnival sales pitch. Question: Would you spend a fortune on a muscle car like a 1972 Chevelle SS only to have it powered with a six cylinder? Folks need to stop hanging their hat on win over a LSU team that didn't want to be there and a Georgia team that had a terrible defense. Sooner or later the facts have to be realized.

Bill61 writes:

Stupid people tend to forget what our offense was like before he arrived. He'll Connor Shaw is still running and we haven't caught him yet. Can you imagine what we will do with Bridgewater? Gotta put some of this blame on the defense.

clemvol writes:

in response to Bill61:

So its better to have a "Flash and Dash" offense that can continue to out score the weak sisters of the conference. When do we have to play Bridgewater? Defense is part of the total coaching package. We have none. I guess we'll give them another 6 years?

Bill61 writes:

in response to clemvol:

It's better than none at all and that is exactly what was here befor the currant offensive staff arrived. Let's see we have won 10 games each of the last 3 years. We beat Gus Malzon the first year, FSU and Beamer two times while winning the ACC for the 1st time in 20 years. Mad because your coot neighbor sticks 5 in your face? Calm down chump it will change. Possibly your small brain doesn't know Clemson is not the one who makes the schedule. Why don't you take your vast knowledge of football and get us out of the ACC.

BlueRidgeBengal writes:

CU is 1 of 7 schools in top 10% APR in each of last 3 years.Graduation rate is around 75% too.
Current DC just completed his 2nd year so not sure why you're blaming him for prior years.
Any call for coaching changes in just ridiculous. What happened after your Vols fired Fullmer? It set your program back several years. Also, Butch Jones makes 4.86 million per year so theres that.

clemvol writes:

Previous responses is exactly what i expected. I can't continue to reward the medeocrity but as can be seen there are plenty of folks that will keep writing the checks. We can change now or we can change later but be advised change will come. If Clemson doesn't make their football schedule then who does, Dorman High School? As far as after Fulmer goes Tennessee hired a coach, he didn't do the job so he was replaced. As far as Butch Jones goes if he doen't do the job then he will be replaced. Don't count 10 win seasons when you don't have real teams on the schedule. You need to count real wins. But only time will tell.

BlueRidgeBengal writes:

10-2 with pending NYD bowl game is mediocre? And you've hired 2 coaches since Fullmer. can't erase the Kiffin era no matter how hard you try.

clemvol writes:

5+ of the 10 wins i just can't brag about. Anybody? Really? Kiffin was a joke. Not beating our rival for 5 years now is a joke. not winning a New Years Day BCS bowl may very well expose us as overrated once again. Then What?

brookesdad729 writes:

in response to Bill61:

I can assure you that I love my Tigers just as much as you do but I am not going to sugar coat anything! I will give them praise when deserved and will give my criticism as well if I so choose. This was a disappointing season when you look at the talent that we have in Clemson. No we can't do anything about our conference schedule and Lord the ACC was very weak this year at best, but we need to start scheduling non-conference opponents that are not from lower conferences, preferably from the SEC, Big 10 etc...if you want to be known as a big time player on the national stage and you want your team to be better you've got to do that. I love to play pool but I didn't get good at it playing patsies. My brother never let me beat him and as a result I got better and better. Believe it or not, and I know you're a smart person, it's the same for football. Our counterparts in Columbia are beating us every year because by the time they get to us they've had everything thrown at them but the kitchen sink so nothing surprises them at all. I can't stand it but they have a good solid football team. They won't finesse you to death but they will, as we can see, beat you if you slip up, of course 6 turnovers isn't a slip, it's a landslide. I will always love Clemson athletics til the day I die but we are better than this if you're the fan you say you are you know this too. I love Dabo and I continue to support him too but we've got to get tougher and play harder. Easy games do us no good except they go in the W column. We're in the Orange Bowl but that's only because FSU couldn't participate. I'm grateful but I'm also afraid considering the way we've been playing lately. I tell you the truth I was uncomfortable with the way we played all year except UGA. Even though we won the others we were having trouble finishing at the end. Some of those teams we should have hung at least 70 points on including Georgia Tech.If you're not plagued by the injury bug you should be better by season's end than you were at the beginning, not the other way around! Call our brains small all you want but it's actually quite the contrary. We are thinking big and expect more! If you don't then I question your loyalty!

clemvol writes:

in response to brookesdad729:

Thank You. Someone else gets it and i know more feel and see the same.

harryD writes:

Man bunch of bandwagon fans...remember kicking 50yd field goal to beat Wake or GT always pulling off the win...or dropped passes during harper Whitehurst era...and by the way lost to usc in those days too...so go root for Ohio State if you don't like it ....yankees...

harryD writes:

Or you could toot Oregon ' s horn with Palmer espn and co. ..how did that play out this year

kellytown writes:

Just my 2 cents I remember when we couldn't beat the teams we were suppose to. and every Clemson fan knows what I am talking about. We would lose to teams that we wre suppose to beat handly. We need to give our Coaching Staff some credit we all want to win every game win the national championship every year or play for the championship. Do you remember 6-6 7-5 8-4 5-7 I do yes alot of fans would be happy with 10 win seasons yes we are in the ACC no its not a power conf. although they are teams here that have won National Championships. The SEC west is by far the best conf. in college football right now. Just like Bobby Bowden said football is always evolving and it comes full circle Fla St has returned to the team that they were in the 80s or so it seems it has taken longer than any one thought look at Miami they are still working to get back to the team they once were without the thugs they have a hot bed of talent.Va tech is another but at least they have supported the coaches they are not winning 10 games a year. So all I have to say is it could be worse and I believe that we have as good as coaches as any team. Its just that we seem to be unappreciative of what we have because we lose 2 games. Just like i say it could be worse. Lets give thanks for what we have our freedom and family and Clemson Football. Happy Holidays to everyone.

brookesdad729 writes:

I'm not blaming the defense! Although they weren't tops they were much better and kept us in games, including SC. This article is about Chad Morris who is the offensive coordinator and this was supposed to be the year we take it to the next level for sure after being under him for 3 years now and with the talent we have. That's the part some of you seem to miss on here. Venables is doing a good job with our defense so far. Our offense was ran by a 3rd year starter who by the way was in the Heisman talk, and rightfully so, until the FSU debacle and we have skill players that other schools including our friends in Columbia would die to have. Elite level skill players but against good teams we folded like a lawn chair. That's not a complaint but a realistic observation. We were very highly spoken of and publicized by sports analysts from all networks but there were only 3 games on our schedule that we really needed to just be in the ball park in, I'm not even saying win them all but at least be at the game and we weren't and if you guys are okay with 10 wins over sub par teams and a loss to SC every year then so be it, we're good. But I can bet you Danny Ford's farm Dabo and crew aren't okay with it I don't care what he says on TV. It was a disappointing season for them too. Unlike Spurrier, Dabo tends to sugar coat a little too much,like the comment about playing the games against FSU and that we would be even in the series if we played 10 games or something to that effect. I love our coach but he tends to speak at inopportune times and say the wrong things. How can you complain about SC when they're beating us handily every year. The games haven't even been close. I don't care how you try to degrade other teams, or whatever we're playing football here and if we want to be on the national stage consistently and not drop off the map then we have to get tougher and any Clemson fan that's reasonable and not thinking with their emotions will tell you that. I know quite a few long time season ticket holders that are frustrated with what happened this season. Will it change? I'm sure it will for the better one day but for right now and right now only this was a very disappointing season and I don't care if you agree with me or not but at least be man enough to admit that you want better for your team. Again, I'm not angry that we lost to FSU or SC, they're both good teams but it's how we lost. We just fell apart! The wheels came off and that goes not to talent but to the mentality of the team and a team takes on the mentality of its coaching staff and you can take that to the bank!