Dabo Swinney, Connor Shaw express their mutual respect

'Obviously, Dabo is a good guy. He's a good coach. I'm grateful he came up and talked to me for a short while'

South Carolina quarterback Connor Shaw carries the ball against Clemson.

Photo by Sefton Ipock

South Carolina quarterback Connor Shaw carries the ball against Clemson.

When all was said and done, Dabo Swinney had a word or two for South Carolina quarterback Connor Shaw.

It might have been 'good riddance,' but it wasn't.

"He just said he has enjoyed watching me play, and that I'm a tough athletes and he just told me I was a good player," said Shaw of his post-game encounter with Swinney, who sought him out in the crowd on the field after the game.

"Connor Shaw played tremendous, just tremendous," Swinney said. "What a great football player he is. I have all the respect in the world for him. He's a great runner.

"There's a reason why they're undefeated at home and why he has never lost a game here at home. He is a tremendous competitor, and I have a lot of respect for him."

As a sophomore, Shaw earned SEC player of the week honors after rushing for a career-high 107 yards on 19 carries against Clemson. After missing last season's game due to injury, he picked up where he left Saturday night, as he rushed 22 times for 94 yards (including 29 yards in losses from sacks) and repeatedly burned the Tigers with scrambles as called draws.

"It was very frustrating - it's not like we didn't know they were going to run the quarterback draw," said Swinney. "We worked really hard on defending it. I have to see the tape, but obviously they blocked us and we missed a few tackles.

"But he's got a great feel. Some of them were pass plays that he just took off, and some of them were called draws. It's just very disappointing that we didn't do a better job in stopping the quarterback."

"We tried everything," said Clemson defensive coordinator Brent Venables. "It obviously didn't go like we wanted it to. We rushed four, rushed five, rushed six - spied him and they continued to get through on designed plays and scramble plays."

Shaw seemed as impressed by Swinney as Swinney was by Shaw.

"Obviously, Dabo is a good guy," Shaw said. "He's a good coach. I'm grateful he came up and talked to me for a short while. I'm appreciative of it."

tigerrob44 writes:

Yea, I'm crippled and I could have probably run because we didn't have anybody out there. He had open field to run in. Makes it real easy to run it when everybody is somewhere else and not trying to tackle him at the line of scrimmage but 10 or 15 yards down the field. Where was our linebacker that was suppose to be shadowing him? You can't tell me we couldn't have put one man on him and told him do not go anywhere. Stay at the line of scrimmage and get him when he starts running. I will never believe you even planned for that and everybody in the state of SC new what he would do and you just sat over on the sideline and watched him in amazement for the whole game.

easy to be gracious when you've beat someone 3 times..........esp when they GIVE you the last one.

michtiger writes:

in response to tigerrob44:

Well said. He was 10 yds down field before orange showed on the TV. If we worked all week and tried everything that is really scary.

TRUETIGER1 writes:

I am sooooo happy Dabo got to shake Shaw's hand, it must have made his night. He looked like an idiot running after Shaw, only fitting the way we chased him in the game.

clemvol writes:

Naturally everyone associated with the coots love dabo. He's the perfect whipping boy and will continue to be that way if a change is not addressed. If a change is not made it will just prolong the obivious.

Wagoneer writes:

Real glad to see Dabo talked to Shaw in person after the game... a gracious loser. 4 quarters of terrible coaching and play-calling - real glad to see he has his priorities straight. That's all we care about anyways, right? We just want to win a few games and be gracious sports when we **** the bed against Carolina. If Spurrier was a gracious loser, he wouldn't win games. How about we play with some attitude?

I thought Dabo may have been asking Shaw if he had any eligibility left since we have a few holes to fill.

TRUETIGER1 writes:

He should have stayed in Columbia with his fans. The chickens really like Dabo.

lhaselden writes:

in response to TRUETIGER1:

He should have stayed in Columbia with his fans. The chickens really like Dabo.

Dabo has led Clemson to the best 3 years in a decade or more... Dabo has done a good job. But he has to get better against USC.... no Clemson fan knew what it was like to lose to the gamecock 5 times in row till now... at least in football..... Dabo owes us at least a 4 game run against them... and I think he will get it done....
FSU has a talent advantage that will be hard to overcome...

If you think Dabo can string together 4 in a row over usc, you must think spurrier is getting ready to retire.

tigerrob44 writes:

in response to Bigboots:

That's sort of strange you say that because I happen to think he is ready to go. He has done all he can down there. They will never win a SEC title and he knows it. Spurrier made a comment a long time ago when he was at Florida he thought 10 years at a school was long enough and a coach should go after that amount of time. I really do think he will be gone in the next 2 years and maybe this year. They will never do anymore than they did this year or last year and he knows it and he's ready to go to Texas. Of course he likes the idea of playing Augusta National. That's why he took the job in the first place