Clemson AD: Orange Bowl has 'concerns' over Tigers' ranking, ticket sales

Clemson fans have fun tailgating before the 2012 Orange Bowl Game at Sun Life Stadium in Miami Gardens, Florida.

Clemson is projected to play Alabama in the Orange Bowl by several outlets now, but the bowl itself has its "concerns" about the Tigers.

Addressing Clemson fans, athletic director Dan Radakovich said – after talks with the Orange Bowl committee – potential low ticket sales and the Tigers' BCS standing could stand in the way of a Clemson bid.

"While the team won 10 games and remains ranked among the top in the nation, the only thing we can control now are ticket sales," Radakovich said. "It is critical that we support our team by letting the Orange Bowl know our fans are interested in attending the game and buying tickets. There is no question the opponent will be of high quality and this game will be another great test."

In addition to simply buying tickets, Radakovich is calling on fans to buy through the school.

"The last time we sold at least 10,000 tickets through the athletic ticket office for a bowl game was the 2009 Gator Bowl against Nebraska," he said. "With more than 20,000 Clemson fans at each of our last three bowl games, there is no question that our fans have purchased bowl tickets through third parties and the secondary marketplace, but we need your help in purchasing tickets through the athletic ticket office. This makes a huge statement with the bowls and their committees."

Clemson finds itself in a potentially crowded at-large pool for only a few spots.

Factoring BCS bowl ties/procedures and the current rankings, there are only three available places among a field of one each from the Big Five conferences.

The Tigers are the lowest ranked team in the mix, but they could benefit from the Orange's longstanding ties to the ACC.

"If the Seminoles move up to the title game, the Orange Bowl -- an ACC partner that recently entered into a contractual agreement for the next 12 years -- would be highly unlikely to turn away an eligible ACC team (Clemson)," SI's Stewart Mandel wrote Sunday, "and incur the wrath of commissioner John Swofford (whose league would lose $6 million as a result)."

If they are really looking elsewhere, this weekend's action could change their selection by the minute.

In the top-14 eligible, No. 9 Baylor hosts Texas, No. 6 Oklahoma State hosts Oklahoma, No. 11 Arizona State hosts No. 7 Stanford in the PAC-12 title game and No. 2 Ohio State takes on No. 10 Michigan State in the Big Ten title game (neutral site game). Another at-large spot can open up if No. 14 Northern Illinois (12-0) loses to Bowling Green (9-3) Friday in the MAC Championship Game (neutral site game).

The BCS Selection Show will air on ESPN at 8:30 p.m. Sunday night.

clemvol writes:

As we all know the push for Clemson to go to the Orange Bowl is purely money driven for the conference and the athletic department. The heck with the team. It doesn't matter whether you win or lose. Well it does matter that the bowl game is another must win game for a variety of reasons. Remember if you can choose then choose wisely.

If Clemson plays Alabama in the Orange Bowl as everyone seems to be predicting, i hope the money makes the beating on national TV worthwhile.
It won't help recruiting or Clemson's image.

The only difference in this matchup and the Orange bowl blowout we lost to West Virginia is that this time we can clearly see it coming.
That will probably hurt ticket sales.

And in response to the appeal for fans to buy tickets thru the athletic department, we have visited this topic before.
Bowl trips are expensive. Especially longer trips, such as Miami.
Tickets have been offered at lower prices in the open market than the price Clemson sets for tickets. So for the fan on a budget the decision is easy. Furthermore, many of the Athletic Department tickets are for the worst seats in the stadium. Better seats are sometimes found on web- sites, or even by dealing with scalpers at the venue.

Why pay premium prices for end-zone, nose-bleed seats just to make the AD look good? He'll be in the luxury suite on the 50 yard line with beef tnderloin, cavier, and an open bar.

kellytown writes:

Dabo I am a CLEMSON FAN 100%. I am A realist 110%. We have no chance to even come close to beating Alabama.Dabo you said we deserve a BCS bid against the best possible opponent well if we play the TIDE you couldn't ask for more.Boyd has not gotten over being rettled by the coots what makes you think that Alabama won't just shake him out of his boots. We would be well over matched no one wants to see another lop sided game. We got blowed out by Fla St. and lost by 2 TDs against the coots, Where is your mind.I was always taught engage you brain before you open your mouth.

Haven't we suffered enough embarrassment ???????

Team, and future teams, need to see that if you want to play with the big boys, you need to pay the preparation price and not flinch when tested.

BTW, Bama has an NFL O-Line, not as good as usual, but they recruit more than 2 O-Linemen per year.

Smoke and mirrors ??? Think not.

tigerrob44 writes:

in response to Bigboots:

It won't help recruiting or Clemson's image.

That will probably hurt ticket sales.

Bowl trips are expensive. Especially longer trips, such as Miami.

I think you are right about the tickets and getting them thru IPTAY. They are too costly. What is the difference if Clemson has 25,000 fans at the game where they bought their ticket from anyway? I don't get it. As far as playing Alabama I would think everybody would be ecstatic to get a shot at them. Why not play the best and then we will get a true picture of how our program stacks up against the nations best. I cherish the thought of going down there and playing a great game and beating them. We can beat Alabama. We may not beat then but I sure would like to watch us try.

BigBud52 writes:

I don't think we have to worry about the Orange Bowl. Since the Georgia game we have not beaten a quality team. Just look at the rankings, the only really good teams we faced were FSU and SC and both of them PUNKED us. Take the Chick-fil-a or Belk Bowl and be happy.

TRUETIGER1 writes:

in response to Bigboots:

It won't help recruiting or Clemson's image.

That will probably hurt ticket sales.

Bowl trips are expensive. Especially longer trips, such as Miami.

It makes perfect sense if you don't think about it. I'm really tired of our elitist leaders, just send money and shut your mouth. We really need to make some changes in our administration, we won't survive another TDP. We need people with pride and backbones to match, not just fund raisers. We need eople that love CLEMSON.

michtiger writes:

Have we no pride. the Orange is telling us they do not want us. I love our team and they are fun to watch and they are better than average but this years rating has always been out of line. Boyd is good but over the 3 years we have seen major break downs. In three years we have had 5 really ugly losses. Orange, 2 SC and 2 FSU. You can count 3 very fun wins. Auburn at home, LSU, Ga at home ( maybe FSU at home but starting QB out ). But as much fun as they were as a good fan you saw the real detail. We played well and hard, but we all know that LSU totally mismanaged the clock. Possession, lead and 2 min. They threw 3 straight times and then gave up a 15 plus 4th down. Ga came in like us highly over rated with a new defensive line and 2 DB out with injury. Those were great games and fun but they hardly off set the really ugly national humiliations. there is one way I would like the orange and that is if Mo beats Auburn and MSU beats OSU then bet Ala back in 2 spot and likely OSU comes down. This article is only being released to prepare us for the rejection but they don't realize we are happy.

FlopEye writes:

I'm 70 years old and I never thought
I would live to the see day that the
Clemson A.D. would have to beg the
" Tiger Nation" to buy bowl tickets,
and judging by the above comments, have
his plea fall on deaf ears.

Wagoneer writes:

in response to FlopEye:

I'm 70 years old and I never thought
I would live to the see day that the
Clemson A.D. would have to beg the
" Tiger Nation" to buy bowl tickets,
and judging by the above comments, have
his plea fall on deaf ears.

The landscape has admittedly changed dramatically in the past 50-60 years that you have followed football - economically and overall bowl sentiment. You already have folks who are frustrated by the bowl system compounded by the fact that it's in Miami playing against a team that outmatches us. With most fans' limited wallets, I think we're taking a safe risk when we don't buy a ticket and attend a game against a team that will likely beat us. Does that make us bad fans? Did we not fill the stadium every game after FSU? (Actually, we may not have)

The bottom line is you're being melodramatic and not factoring in the variables that contribute to that plea.

in response to tigerrob44:

Think we already have a pretty good picture......

minimal O-line and nervous nellies that freak out at the first hint of someone playing smash mouth OR getting 2 scores ahead.

tigerrob44 writes:

in response to FlopEye:

I'm 70 years old and I never thought
I would live to the see day that the
Clemson A.D. would have to beg the
" Tiger Nation" to buy bowl tickets,
and judging by the above comments, have
his plea fall on deaf ears.

I'm 60 years old and my first game was the '57 Orange Bowl and I graduated from Clemson. I think you are right. I never would have thought that either. Sad. It's time we regroup and buy a bunch of tickets and go wherever they go and pull them thru to victory. All this whining and complaining about this and that isn't doing anybody any good. We got beat because we had 6 turnovers. They are not better than we are. We would have blown 'em out with no turnovers and they know it. It's time you so called Clemson fans separate reality from perception. Did any of you watch the game?

TigerFan95 writes:

I'm sure the folks that ponied up the bucks to attend our last debacle at the Orange Bowl are a bit reluctant to do the same this time around...Especially after the results of Saturday's game. Perhaps Radakovich should make a special offer to fans who purchase their tickets thru IPTAY that gives them the choice of their money back or free tickets to The Sixth Annual Dabo Beat Down in Death Valley next year should Clemson lose the bowl game by more than four TD’s.

TRUETIGER1 writes:

You guys come on, we need to spend more money, that'll fix everything. We need to pay Dabo & staff more too, and while we are at it, build some more facilities, then we'll win the BIG GAMES.

clmtgr92 writes:

The real problem is the Orange Bowl is no longer played on New Year's Day. Even though it is on a Friday this year, people would still need to miss 1 or 2 days of work/school. Spreading the games out between NYE and the Monday Championship game has killed attendance across the board. This, plus the idiotic ticket pricing structures.

TStark2015 writes:

Wow! Ok, let's see, hum, begging for fans to by tickets, selling the intrest of the league and not the fans. Shrewed way of doing business, see the way I see it, fans are, correct me if I'm wrong,"TICKED", due to the way the season ended losing for the 5th time to SC. I would have to say that we need to evaluate this coaching staff first before talking a bowl game. I can honestly say that the fans confidence in this teams head Coach is growing less and less by the day. If they can't beat FSU and SC, what makes this AD believe that they could beat Alabama. Does 2008 ring a bell, take the lesser bowl, play an even opponent that matches up well, win, and built for next season. I'm a die hard Clemson fan, I'm ticked too, I would rather see us play in the Belk Bowl against say a Ball State or Miami OH, than to get plastered by Alabama again like we did 6 years ago. Just my 2 cents, don't mean to hurt feelings, cause losing to SC was to me, the straw that broke the camals back with our Coach. I say pull out the check book, an hire Coach John Gruden and a new Offensive Staff for Coach Chad Morris to work with. Just a thought.

essoclub writes:

We will be completely destroyed by Bama. It will be worse than the WVU disaster. Please God, do not let Clemson go to the Orange Bowl against Bama. The only hope is that Morris will take a H.C. job and Clemson's replacement and/or interim O.C. will run the frickin' ball and sit Boyd on the bench when he starts to unravel, which he does consistently in big games (with the exceptions being LSU in Clemson's bowl game last year & Georgia at the beginning of the season). We need to feed McDowell the ball and try to control the clock. Hopefully's Morris' exit will also signal the end of 39 second three and out drives against the Gamecocks and FSU. Good frickin' riddance Morris.

Bring smash mouth football back and we the fans will gladly open up our wallets to watch Clemson compete. Clemson did not compete against WVU in the Orange Bowl - that was a national embarrassment. Clemson has not competed in the last five games vs. S. Carolina or the last two games vs. FSU. Buckle your chinstraps if we end up playing Bama in the Orange Bowl. They could easily hang 80 points on us.

Werewolf writes:

I have to agree with the rest of you. I bleed orange and always will, but there is no way I'm going to take time off work and spend a ton of money that I don't have to travel from Anderson to Miami only to come back home and have all my friends and co-workers be like "Look, werewolf! Alabama just scored again!" Ain't nobody got time for that. And the fact that our AD is begging to go in the first place is just pathetic. As if this season hasn't been embarrassing enough. After Georgia, I just knew we were going to be national champions this year. After NC state, I knew we weren't. Take the best invitation you get and play a good game. But don't beg for a bowl invitation from a bowl that clearly doesn't want you. I think Tiger Nation should refuse to cooperate with this ridiculous, embarrassing request. We're reduced to begging now. Screw you, Dan.

kellytown writes:

in response to Werewolf:

I agree now its come down to begging man how much lower can we get. Dan come on why don't you go down to Miami and just stay.

TRUETIGER1 writes:

Win the games that matter and the money will come. USC is and has always been the money game for contributers. Beg all you want, but that game matters and losing 5 straight years closed a bunch of check books.

TigerRus writes:

in response to kellytown:

Clemson will have to buy 17-18,000 tickets and what they don't sell they eat is why Dan is wanting fans to buy tickets through the IPTAY. Either way...you so called die hard, bleed orange blah blah Clemson fans either buy the ticket and go or stay home and support but quit whining. You complain that Boyd gets rattled with pressure, I see no difference than you guys scared to play Bama. You were the same way last year when we played and beat LSU. To be the best you have to play the best and beat them. What are you scared of? The win over LSU helped morale not to mention recruiting. I had rather take a chance and get beat by a good team vs beating a less ranked team by several scores. We have a better chance of stopping Bama's running game in the Orange Bowl vs containing Manziel in the Chick-fil-A Bowl. So, quit pretending to be a "true" Tiger fan. If you are scared of getting beat by a good team then stay home, save your money and watch it on TV. But, for goodness sake quit your sissy whining.

essoclub writes:

@TigerRus - Let me get this straight, we diehard Clemson fans want to avoid another national embarrassment, by simply calling a spade a spade and that makes us fair-weather fans? Did you even watch the FSU game? Bama is far superior to the LSU team we beat last year. Not even close. The 2013 Tigers are a shell of last year's team. We knew that Nuk and Ellington would be missed. Going to the Orange Bowl with blinders on is not just misguided, it's moronic. We played two good teams and they mopped the floor with our defense. They neutralized our offense. FSU could have hung 90 points on us. Wait - are you related to Dabo?

TigerRus writes:

in response to essoclub:

@essoclub - No, actually Bama won the National Title last year and only beat the same LSU team we beat 21-17. So, no they are not far superior. Without turnovers we would have played FSU close, without turnovers we would have beat USC. The same Auburn team that beat Bama just barely won due to a miracle finish over a beat up Ga. team that we beat. So, Bama is beatable...give our guys some credit. Not sure what you are scared of and you're not even playing. Bet the players are not scared. No, not kin to Dabo, but beginning to think you are related to Chicken George. How do you expect a program to get better by shying away from good competition?

Werewolf writes:

I'll tell you why I'm scared. WHEN we get destroyed by Alabama, you're going to see top recruits withdraw their "commitments". Granted, it would take far more than a Bama loss for Watson to withdraw his. He's not going anywhere. But he's not the only one we need. The future of this program has nothing to gain by forcing itself into a match with Alabama. I respect your opinion and admire your faith in our team. I just very very very very very strongly disagree.

FlopEye writes:

in response to TigerRus:

Do you not realize that turnovers are a
part of the game ? Usually, something
is done by the other team to cause these
turnovers. I hope Clemson gets the
opportunity to play Alabama. I'm
pretty sure the outcome will silence
you for a while. Or at least until
Dabo mixes up a fresh batch of orange
Kool-aid.

kellytown writes:

in response to TigerRus:

Sounds to me like you are the only one that needs an IQ test. I bet you are like DABO except maybe you should change your login name to DUMBO.I guess you like smoke and mirrors.If you give Alabama a month to prepare for a game they can beat some pro teams.They are a lot of intelligent CLEMSON FANS on this site that totally disagree with your thinking, can you not read!!! Sounds like to me you are a troll. When you say i see no difference than you guys scared to play BAMA.Thats your quote Yea I am convinced yep you are a TROLL.

TigerRus writes:

in response to kellytown:

Troll...? I'm not the one being negative. I guess you go through your normal day life running from a challenge too. Bet you work at Shoe Carnival or still bagging groceries afraid of success. BOO!! I bet you just peed alittle. Quit being scared. I didn't say we would beat Alabama, but I do say our chances are higher than you give the team credit. Looks like we may get to see. Also, Saban had 2 weeks to prepare for # 24 ranked Texas A&M and only beat them by 7. Have faith.

essoclub writes:

in response to TigerRus:

Let me get this straight… Are you actually suggesting that since LSU played Bama tough last year and we beat LSU that somehow we can magically hang tough with a totally different team, the 2013 Crimson Tide? Do you get your football logic from the same place where Jack found his beans?

LSU vs. Bama is almost the equivalent of a rivalry game; anything can happen. Historically, their games have been close.

This year, we beat Georgia, who also happened to beat S. Carolina. However, S. Carolina dismantled us. Based on your logic, we should have been able to beat S. Carolina simply based on the fact that we beat Georgia. That's not how football works. It's all about matchups. We can talk about how the game was close and we gave the game away, etc., but the fact of the matter is that good teams figure out a way to stop the QB draw. The 'Ol Ball Coach has been running the exact same play against Clemson for three straight years. Zero improvement on that front. That should be and in fact is very concerning. It's almost as inexplicable as Morris' refusal to feed McDowell. It's the last game of the regular season, so Morris can't make the excuse that McDowell is not durable enough to carry the ball more than 14 times in a game. That's a bunch of malarkey and we all know it. Ironically enough, Connor Shaw has churned out more rushing yards against Clemson ('11 and '13) than against any other team in each of those respective years. See a pattern here?

Good teams do not turn the ball over six times in a game. In fact, other than our implosion against S. Carolina, I did some digging, to find out the last time Clemson turned the ball over 6 times in a game. It was 2010 against the 'Canes. More importantly, the only game in history Clemson has committed more turnovers against South Carolina took place in 1945 when the Tigers had 8 in a 0-0 tie. Chew on that fact for a bit. Dabo now owns some very onerous records at Clemson: (1) Most points…ever… surrendered in a bowl game, (2) Most points allowed in a game at Death Valley, and (3) Most turnovers committed in a Clemson - S. Carolina game since 1945.

essoclub writes:

Dear Mr. Radakovich:

With all due respect, sir, while I cannot speak for Tiger Nation, based on my analysis of the Clemson football program, I have serious concerns with the following glaring deficiencies:

(1) The H.C.'s inadequate and unacceaptable record in meaningful games against ranked opponents (specifically USC and FSU). The games have not even been competitive. Please kindly read this article, which incorporates irrefutable empirical data, showing Clemson's shortfall in big games under the current H.C. http://garnetreport.com/dabo-and-the-...
(2) The D.C.'s inability to scheme / develop / recruit the type of athletes who can stop the QB draw. He just can't get it done.
(3) The O.C.'s refusal to consistently run the ball, even when it's working. To provide an analogy from the business world, it is the equivalent of Coca Cola scrapping its best selling product and replacing it with "New Coke". Do you remember that? I can guarantee you that the folks who concocted "New Coke" are no longer working for Coca Cola. Similarly, if the Clemson offense is gashing an opposing defense with the run, one does not abandon the run until the opposing defense figures out a way to stop it. Morris' "pass at all costs" offensive philosophy, if you want to call it that, has only worked in two key games against quality opponents (LSU & Georgia). In big games against top notch competition (i.e., USC & FSU), instead of putting the horse in front of the cart so to speak, by using the run to set up the pass, Morris puts the horse in the cart and uses the pass to set up the loss.
(4) The entire administration refuses to prioritize the recruitment of top caliber O-linemen. It has been a glaring problem for over a decade. Case in point, Body was sacked 30 times during the 2013 regular season. Conversely, S. Carolina's QB was sacked only 19 times during the '13 regular season. This inexplicable refusal to focus on one of the core necessities of a competitive football team is the Nascar equivalent of trying to win the Daytona 500 without a transmission.

In closing, while I appreciate the complexity of your position as the A.D., and the intricacies of managing a large athletic department, these problems have persisted for years. Please kindly address these glaring deficiencies, and subsequently, I will gladly open my wallet and spend my hard earned dollars to attend future bowl games, in which Clemson is a participant. Thank you.

jbwhite writes:

How about the bowls not giving the schools the shittest seating arrangements. They don't have to be 50 yard line, but nose bleed and back of the end zone seats? Even those in the lower deck are horrible seats. Who wants to sit there?