Reading between the lines of Clemson's fresh depth chart, Korrin Wiggins had a very good preseason camp.
The first-year freshman stayed healthy, for one thing, allowing him to work himself into position as the Tigers' starting nickel back.
His position is similar to the one played last season by Travis Blanks, who shared the 'Sam' linebacker spot with Quandon Christian - a grad student now in his fourth season in the role. Redshirt freshman T.J. Burrell is being groomed as Christian's replacement.
In addition to his spot as starting nickel back, Wiggins is listed as the Tigers' third-team free safety behind Blanks and Jadar Johnson.
It's not the first time Wiggins has been a pleasant surprise. He delighted Clemson's coaches last February by signing with the Tigers - a final-day choice over Ohio State and North Carolina, to whom he was previously committed.
Wiggins is one of three first-year freshmen who made Clemson's initial 2013 depth chart, along with wide receiver Mike Williams and defensive end Shaq Lawson.
Some other notes and observations on the Clemson depth chart:
- 'Fullback' is no longer listed as a position on the offensive depth chart. Darrell Smith, the Tigers' designated fullback last season, claimed the starting tight end spot. He'll be backed by Stanton Seckinger.
- Sammy Watkins is back in his familiar slot receiver position, backed by Adam Humphries. Watkins is also listed first on the depth chart as a punt returner and kickoff returner.
- Walk-on placekicker Corbin Jenkins won the job as the Tigers' starting holder for placekicks. He'll be backed by Bradley Pinion, who is the starting punter and kickoff man.
- Ammon Lakip worked his way into position as the Tigers' No. 2 placekicker, behind Chandler Catanzaro.
- A total of 10 defensive linemen are listed on the depth chart: five tackles and five ends. Josh Watson and DeShawn Williams are co-starters at one tackle spot, while Grady Jarrett is the starter at the other, backed by D.J. Reader and/or Carlos Watkins. Vic Beasley is the starter at one end, backed by Lawson, while Corey Crawford is backed by Tavaris Barnes and Kevin Dodd.
- Shaq Anthony has worked his way back onto the depth chart as the Tigers' co-No.2 right tackle with Eric Mac Lain, behind starter Giff Timothy. Chad Morris said Monday that for now, should Timothy need emergency relief, Brandon Thomas would slide to right tackle, as he did against LSU, with Isaiah Battle moving into the starting lineup at left tackle. Also with next-in-line status is guard Kalon Davis. The second offensive line is comprised of Battle at left tackle, Davis at left guard, Jay Guillermo at center, Reid Webster at right guard, and either Mac Lain or Anthony at right tackle.
- Bashaud Breeland is listed as co-starter at one cornerback position with Garry Peters, and is also listed as Robert Smith's backup at strong safety.