Both Virginia teams made a move over the weekend – as the Coastal Division picture tightened up even more.
Virginia Tech continued its see-saw run in the top-25, re-entering at No. 22 after taking 2-of-3 from No. 8 Florida State in Blacksburg.
Junior Hokies righty Brad Markey set the tone for the weekend, scattering 11 hits but allowing only two runs in a complete game in Friday’s 3-2 win. Game two, Virginia Tech erased an 8-0 deficit, but fell short, 11-10, with the tying run on third base. And in the finale, FSU was held to a lone run, while Anderson native Andrew Rash drove in three in an 8-1 Hokies’ victory.
Meanwhile across the state, the Cavaliers moved to No. 5 in the nation, taking 2-of-3 from Miami.
No. 12 Georgia Tech won the first two, but dropped the final game at home against Wake Forest. Jackets outfielder Brandon Thomas, the ACC’s leader in batting average (.441), was ruled out indefinitely in the last week with a case of mononucleosis.
Playing one less game than the rest (rain), No. 1 UNC has a half-game lead on Virginia, 1.5 on Georgia Tech and 2.5 on Virginia Tech.
Duke swept Atlantic bottom-feeder BC by a 26-4 series rout, evening up in conference (6-6).
ACC Baseball Standings (4/2)
|Atlantic: 1) Florida State||8-4||.667||24-4|
|3) N.C. State||5-7||.417||19-10|
|5) Wake Forest||4-8||.333||16-14|
|6) Boston College||0-11||.000||3-22|
|Coastal: 1) UNC||9-2||.818||25-2|
|3) Georgia Tech||8-4||.667||21-6|
|4) Virginia Tech||7-5||.583||20-9|
Rounding out the weekend, N.C. State’s Carlos Rodon struck out 11 in a 3-2 Friday win – Maryland won game two by the same score – and the Wolfpack closed it out in game three, 9-4. They stay a game off from the Tigers in the Atlantic and three from division-leader FSU.
Top-5 ACC Batting Leaders Individual
1. Georgia Tech RF Daniel Palka – .416 BA/8 HR/36 RBI
2. Georgia Tech C Zane Evans – .364 BA/10 HR/37 RBI
3. UNC 1B Cody Stubbs – .396 BA/33 RBI/2 HR/10 2B
4. UNC 3B Colin Moran – .374 BA/6 HR/35 RBI
5. UNC RF Skye Bolt – .402 BA/28 RBI/29 R
Top-5 ACC Starting Pitching Leaders Individual
1. GT RHP Buck Farmer – 6-0/1.34 ERA/7 ER/57 K/13 BB
2. UNC LHP Kent Emanuel – 5-1/1.16 ERA/40 K/2 CG SO
3. UNC RHP Benton Moss – 6-0/1.77 ERA/51 K/16 BB
4. FSU RHP Scott Sitz – 5-0/3 ER/33 K/13 BB
5. Duke LHP Trent Swart – 3-1/1.66 ERA/40 K/13 BB
Top-5 ACC Team Batting Leaders
1. Georgia Tech .345 BA/55 2B/237 R/134 BB/29 HR
2. UNC – .321 BA/21 HR/236 R/155 BB
3. Virginia – .315 BA/15 HR/235 R/149 BB/22 3B
4. Virginia Tech .293 BA/22 HR/199 R
5. Florida State – .282 BA/206 R/15 HR/71 2B
(Clemson – .268 BA/9 HR/142 R)
Top-5 ACC Team Pitching Leaders
1. UNC – 1.81 ERA/170 H/225 K/89 BB/49 ER
2. Virginia – 2.31 ERA/240 K/60 BB/65 ER
3. Florida State – 2.42 ERA/218 K/96 BB/67 ER/9 saves
4. Clemson – 3.58 ERA/101 ER/173 K/84 BB
5. Georgia Tech – 3.64 ERA/97 ER/213 K/99 BB