Brent Venables takes blame for ugly effort

Tigers allow 667 yards of total offense to Florida State, second-worst single-game total in school history

Florida State running back Chris Thompson runs past Clemson cornerback Darius Robinson in the first quarter.

Photo by Nathan Gray

Brent Venables placed the blame squarely on his own shoulders Saturday night. Following No.10 Clemson’s 49-37 loss to No.4 Florida State – which saw the Tigers’ defense collapse en route to giving up 667 yards of total offense, second-worst in school history – Venables said repeatedly coaches were at fault.

That’s a coaching answer: Venables can’t tackle, cover or play linebacker anymore. But he’ll certainly receive his share of heat regardless following a disappointing overall effort.

Venables shared his thoughts about the evening with reporters afterward:

Venables: 'Going to have be a lot better to reach goals'

None

General thoughts: “I’m terribly disappointed. We could have done more as coaches to get our guys to play better. We coached them poorly and at times didn’t get our guys to play particularly well. That said, we had chances in the second half, chances to win the game. They started running the ball when they chose to. We’ve got to get a lot better in a lot of areas. That starts in the run game. You’ve got go back and look at the personnel, see what we’re asking them to do. There’s a lot we’ve got to evaluate, scheme, personnel, everything. I thought our guys competed hard for four quarters. They really did. We didn’t always coach them good, at times we didn’t play good and smart, but I thought our guys fought against a good Florida State team where there’s not a lot of margin for error. Unfortunately we let one slip away. At the same time I think Florida State really took one from us too.”

Were players out of position or didn’t match up with talent: “I think a lot of variables go into it. We’ve got to coach them better. That’s where it starts. I thought they got rapid momentum, made explosive plays and were able to run the ball in the second half. They got all the momentum and didn’t get it back.”

On Clemson's Tackling: “There it is again. It was poor. We’ve got to get a lot better at tackling.”

On the three-man front: “It wasn’t very good. That didn’t work very good. We didn’t perform like we hoped it would. It can get you a lot of things. It gives you a lot of flexibility, doesn’t allow guys to climb quite as quickly, and get on the second level. They’re athletic. They can get on the line of scrimmage. Get on your backers quick.”

Are all jobs open now: “I think that’s always a possibility whether you win or lose. You’re always evaluating and trying to get better and find ways to get better.”

On challenges: “Let’s face it, this game is challenging, it’s difficult, everyone’s got players, everyone’s got guys. We’ll have to get a lot better for us to reach our goals this season. I think our attitude is good.”

On E.J. Manuel: “I thought he played well. Competed well. I thought he got them in and out of some plays like an older, more mature quarterback would do. I thought he got them in some good plays, I thought he played good. I think we helped him too.”

On the breakdowns in fundamentals: “It’ s a lot of things. First and foremost it starts with me. What am I asking our guys to do? Why are they doing things in the running game, the passing game, tackling and cheap scores. Getting punched in the gut in the second half and running at will. There are things we have to examine.”

sportsfan writes:

why did yall hire this guy?

TigerMarine writes:

I hate to say it this way but he's had 2 months of football now to fix it. By reading into his own words he has decided to not do his job and let his players play sloppy ball. Ya its big of him to "take responsibility" but now he's gotta fix it quick or just pack up and leave town !!!!!!

TigerMarine writes:

in response to sportsfan:

why did yall hire this guy?

And who are you, who is your team ? Lemme guess another SEC troll that has no life and goes to other teams sites to make pot shots. So u a chicken or a dog or what. Have some guts and state who you are before you begin to speak here.

sportsfan writes:

have you ever played the game?

sportsfan writes:

if you have ever played the game you should know that your personality reflects that of your coach! If you cannot read my name as sportsfan then i suggest you get help. My team is the team that the players reflects their coach. it changes each year. the coach that gets everything out of their players is my team.

TigerMarine writes:

Not at the college level I served my country with my youth THEN went to college. I answered your irrelevant question now its your turn or are you too scared to fly your flag ?

sportsfan writes:

what was you MOS?

TigerMarine writes:

in response to sportsfan:

Ah I've heard that bandwagon jumper rhetoric before. You know what a bandwagon jumper is ? A COWARD !!!! A person who is afraid to stand up for their own ideas !!!!! Don't worry bud I pitty you but maybe one day you'll get the courage to stand up for yourself.

sportsfan writes:

My MOS was 71L I bet you are not a marine.

TigerMarine writes:

0351 Anti Tank / Dragon Gunner

sportsfan writes:

My favorite team right now is UL Monroe. That is the longest mos i have ever heard of.

sportsfan writes:

Where is Joe Lee Dunn? He can stop the run.

TigerMarine writes:

in response to sportsfan:

Thank you that's all I asked for. My mos was 0351. An 0351 is an anti tank assaultman using C-4 to bring down trees to block their way, the SMAW to destroy their tracks, but for the most part the Dragon missile (in my day now the Javelin) to destroy the tank. So like I said 0351 anti tank / dragon gunner ..... Mr.Kinkos

TigerMarine writes:

FedEx office

TigerMarine writes:

Ooh ooh I got it Mail boxes ETC

sportsfan writes:

Sure, Three Allstar Games, Three championships, yea my coach was awful. (Byrnes)

michtiger writes:

Look this is simple. We have a great offense that can play with the best. It was worrisome after the first game that the D was suspect. Given some are young you assume improvement. they play two cup cakes and they look bad. you reason they just were not enthused. you watch last night and realize that w/o FSU's fumbled punt , penalties, missed Fg and kneel down at the end this would have been the Orange bowl all over. I have yet detected any improvement in the D. With all our O skills this looks like an 8-4 team. SC will have to collapse or have lots of injuries not to beat us. We know from the past that Johnson at GT and Grobe of WF are better coaches, that VT and NCS have the talent to show up and we know we will pull a "clemson" during the season. Fun to watch O but the D would be average if only they knew how to tackle. One other thing that showed its ugly head last night was Boyd got frustrated and looked like the Boyd of last years second half. hope they get his head straight. Venerable's does not look like $800,000 material.

sportsfan writes:

JOE LEE DUNN $400,000. NO SOCKS NO WORRIES!!

sportsfan writes:

Willie Korn? Really? He was a great player at clemson and so was Marcus.

michtiger writes:

in response to jdl031287#282299:

(This comment was removed by the site staff.)

Appreciate your realism with a loyal fan support for even that which was ugly. Two things caught my attention. boyd is much improved but in late third and fourth quarter he started dancing in pocket ,wasn't patient and made some poor judgements. hopefully he will regroup. How can you say Swinney was the better of the coaches? Simple example: after the first TD he called a time out on the PAT because the clock is running down. Why in a tough game do you waste a precious TO when 5 yds is meaningless on the kick. Why at the end of the half on third down and FSU out of TOs do you try your trick play and stop the clock with a little over 2 min. Run the ball, get it you have a chance to score, not getting you give the ball back to FSU with less than a min. instead of 2 min. Luckily the FG was missed. i like Swinney but making the statement he is better than jimbo is over the top. like your great attitude.

sportsfan writes:

Joe Lee Dunn.

lhaselden writes:

A coaches money is not earned when you are talented enough to win every game... recruiting is important and we are catching up, but we are where FSU was the past 2 years with a lot of freshmen and sophomores starting a lack of experience.
FSU has led the ACC in returning starters for the past 2 years... now that maturing process is paying off. If we are at the point FSU is now in 2 years Venebles and Morris and Dabo and all the other coaches will have earned what we are paying them now.
If anyone thought this team with 3 new OL and the TE and the FB was going to win the NC then you were delusional. The DL has 3 new starters and most of them played last year and were not good enough to take the starting job from guys who were not getting the job done...
This years recruitng class has a shot to adress a long time deficit of DTs and add some quality to our DEs...

waran writes:

Our defense is very poor. No argument. But it can be fixed in another few months and more games under their belt. If anyone can do this, I think Brent can and we need to give him a few more months or even wait till the next season. If we do better by November, we have a chance against USC. I will accept that our Coaches are at fault if we dont do well next year.

From what I see, Tajh is not going anywhere at the end of the season. Kelly is an excellent back up. Sammy will be back. O-line is improving. Our fate will depend on the defense and what Brent does. Lets give him time.

Jsharkiv writes:

Our defense was bad last year and we lost our best players. What did we expect this year? I don't see us getting better until 2014. Defense takes time. Star defense recruits don't make an impact until junior year.

Jsharkiv writes:

We need to find some JUCOs for next year's D. FSU has two great JUCOs on the team this year that start.

Jsharkiv writes:

in response to michtiger:

Glad someone else noticed how stupid the timing and situation of that trick play was. just stupid. Still love dabo and Morris, just a little less tho

TankButton writes:

• Kicking game and special teams. That, along with a porous defense is what brought us down.

• Benton usually kicks the ball out of the stadium on kickoffs...

• Huge kickoff return gave FSU a big swing in momentum. That, along with a very hostile environment did not help.

• I was impressed with FSU's conditioning - I figured their D would be gasping for air in the 4th quarter. Good team...

• We are young, and we have some solid talent coming; I have been considering this a transitional year; a great program is not built over night.

sanford42 writes:

Anyone who knows football realizes that the two most important positions is the defensive line and offensive line. Ours is still very young and very inexperienced. Give them some time and I think they have enough talent to be really good.

putter2 writes:

Very embarassing defense. Poor tackling. 3 man front allowed guards to get to our LBs and wrong formations with no intensity. Offense let up in second half and play calling was poor. The great receivers we have need to be a little quicker, run to the open spaces, and cut off their routes when facing a quick secondary. We were loafing out there.

Lynx26 writes:

Knowingly coming into this game, the OFFENSE would have to score 50pts to win-Its that simple. Our defense hasn't showed up in 2012. Our d-line has no impact like the previous 15yrs. While Lbs were over-pursuing and getting reached. Tig Willard, showed up as always. Anthony is sometimey(young/talented). Christian is too finess to play the edge(way too soft-zero impact). Secondary did what they could, had to cover for an avg of 4.5sec.(way too long).
D- Line: F
LB's: D-
Secondary- C

LB's should be: Tig, Anthony, and Steward. 3-3/3-4 should be Christian/Blanks rotation. That simple. Preferbly Blanks.