Swinney 'embarrassed' for Spurrier after Gamecock coach's latest verbal jab

The Clemson Sports Blog

Clemson Coach Dabo Swinney and South Carolina Coach Steve Spurrier meet at midfield before Saturday's game.

Swinney responds to Spurrier's comments

Calls for 'backing off the ledge'

Dabo Swinney has always thought, and spoken, highly of University of South Carolina running back Marcus Lattimore - an in-state product that the Clemson coach did all the could to recruit for the Tigers' backfield.

That was the case again Sunday when Swinney was asked about the horrific knee injury the Gamecocks' junior suffered against Tennessee on Saturday.

“Just absolutely took my breath away," Swinney said. "It just breaks my heart. I just hurt for him and his family and his teammates. He represents all the things college football should be about.

"I know him personally. He's a class, class young man. Always has been. So is his family. It's devastating because I know how hard he's worked.

"If there's anybody I'd bet on it would be Marcus Lattimore," Swinney added "I know it's going to be a long process, but I'd put my money on Marcus in a heartbeat. I know when he can come to terms with this, he'll do everything he can to get himself healthy and well. He's a class individual and a great player.

"My prayers go out to him and his family. I've had a heavy heart for him ever since that happened. There are a lot of great things for Marcus Lattimore, as Coach (Steve) Spurrier said. We haven't seen the last of him from a football standpoint, hopefully. He's been a great representative of the game and his university. I just lift him up in my prayers."

Monday evening, during a celebration of well-wishing for Lattimore in Columbia, Spurrier used the occasion to fire the latest volley in a series of verbal shots between the two coaches.

"A lot of quotes came across from the nation and I read one today from the head coach at our upstate school," Spurrier told the crowd. "You know, that school that used to beat us a lot that doesn't beat us much any more, that one.

"Usually when that coach up there talks about South Carolina it's a bunch of garbage and a bunch of BS usually. But I have to agree with him on what he said the other day."

Swinney was asked about Spurrier's comments on his weekly call-in radio show, and responded by saying:

"I don't really have a comment other than I'm embarrassed for him," Swinney said. "That would be about the only thing I have to say about that."

Harmless banter or inappropriate to the situation?

What do you think?

Thomastwc3 writes:

It is unforunate that mr.spurrier would use this format to slam Dabo and Clemson but he can't help himself when he thinks he has the upper hand on anyone. There is a time and place for comments like this but in this format it was not the time or the place. The only way to shut him up is to beat them (him) because it's all about him the last Sat. in Nov.

brookesdad729 writes:

That doesn't surprise me one bit! Spurrier remains humble until he starts winning and then he gets arrogant again, that's typical Steve Spurrier. It is what it is! I am glad that Florida scraped them up and down the field because that let some of the wind out of his sails, now it's time for Dabo to let the rest out! Go Tigers!

sanford42 writes:

There is a time and place for everything and that was not the time or place. The jerk - I'm glad Dabo took the high road and didn't lower himself to the level Spurrier likes to live on. Go Tigers

omnipotent1 writes:

It is unprecedented for a rival coach to praise an opposing player the way Dabo did and then to have a sophomoric, cheap shot returned by this narcisstic coach is unbelievable. Further proof the no class jacka## from Cola is an embarrassment to himself, an embarrassment to the university, and an embarrassment to the state of SC. Proud of Dabo for taking the high road and not stooping to sos's level. When will the fans send him packing? He will never win them a championship.

Bleedsorange writes:

I personally think all of the things Spurrier has said recently also shows his inability to be professional first off. And good lord the kid has gotten hurt twice earning 'Old Stevie his paycheck and at his well wishimg event he tries to get another 30 seconds on TV. Even if that piece of work coached at Clemson my kids would not play for him. And after all of that talk lets see how they walk the walk in the valley.

PS get healed up Marcus wish you well.

sanford42 writes:

in response to omnipotent1:

Amen brother

CU90 writes:

A 5 year old in a grown man's body.

TRUTH4U2 writes:

As most know I am a USC fan and admittedly I take jabs at all of you on your forum. I personally enjoy the banter back and forth and if Clemson was to win this year I will be the first to come back on your forum and congratulate you on the win.
My personal opinion on this is embaressment as a fan. Just yesterday I was reading comments from the Clemson fans on almost every social media site, forums and papers wishing Marcus a speedy recovery and Happy Birthday. Now I know USC hired Spurrier to win at USC, but now I am asking myself at what cost? We all can banter back and forth, call each other names, but at the end of the day I like to think we don't wish harm on any of the teams players or fans.
So in answer to your question what do I think. I think Spurrier needs to apologize to the University of Clemson and to USC. If that will ever happen I don't know, but it's my opinion.

lhaselden writes:

We all need to continue to pray for ML and his family, Spurrir makes these comments all the time and we should ignore them whenever possible, especially this week....

TUN writes:

Spurrier has no class and is an undignified, socially awkward individual. He often times doesn't know the right or appropriate thing to say nor the proper time to say it. He is really beginning to show his age as he moves toward retirement. If I were a top recruit in the SE and I were choosing between CU and South Carolina (notice I didn't say USC because they are NOT USC--USC is in Southern California), it would be a no-brainer from a coaches standpoint....Dabo is a very good person as well as coach and Spurrier, while a good coach, is personally a jerk. He cares more about winning than anything else and he doesn't care if he is an A hole in the process, he just wants to win. I think that our winning tradition at Clemson bothers him and that Dabo's words last November on the eve of the ACC Championship stung him bitterly because the truth hurts. The stark, cold reality is that there is no rivalry between the two schools because to have a rivalry you have to have two comparable teams and South Carolina won't be in our class until they can win a National Championship and 17 more conference titles. Until then it is a mismatch regardless of their rankings or recent exploits.

TUN writes:

I would also add that I have enjoyed Dabo's verbal sparring with 'the old ball sack' but I think he was wise in not engaging him at this time. We need to stay focused upon our next opponent and as others here on this site have said let our play on the field do the talking. Let the old ball sack say what he wants, let him malign our august university all he wants, we all know as Dabo said last November...."THE UNIVERSITY in the state of South Carolina always has been and always will CLEMSON."

TUN writes:

in response to TUN:

"...always will be CLEMSON."

TUN writes:

in response to sanford42:

Well said.

TRUETIGER1 writes:

Spurrier is the PERFECT Gamecock! I admire our coach for showing class when dealing with an inferior human being. Best Wishes to ML and his family.

TigerShore12 writes:

Professionalism is lost art with Mr. Spurrier.....just watch the way he acts on the sidelines during a game. If you act like kid and talk like a kid, well I guess you must be a kid. South Carolina has a good team, but the classlessness of their coach is holding them back. THANK YOU DABO for being the bigger man.

TrevorT writes:

Strange situation, tough to understand how Spurrier could have possibly thought that was the appropriate time for jaw-jacking. Could Grandpa be starting to slip off his rocker?

BigBud52 writes:

The "Old Ball Sack" is an idiot. Leave it at that.

waran writes:

in response to TRUETIGER1:

I disagree. Spurrier is an idiot. He did not play for or study at USC. I have friends and relatives who attended USC and regret the statements made by their Coach. See above for another USC grad's response. AT THIS TIME, USC AND CLEMSON GRADS MUST STAND TOGETHER AND PRAY FOR ML AND HIS FAMILY.

I'm going to "cut & paste" from another article, but it fits:

From ALL accounts, Marcus Lattimore is a CLASS young man.

Dabo is also very classy.

Darth Visor, not so much.
But Dabo is right, just consider the source and move on.
Besides, Darth Visor is a school-yard bully that obviously now running scared. Karma is a real mother......

Godspeed Mr. Lattimore.

slg1285 writes:

Let's get something straight. I bleed orange and want nothing more than for Clemson to shove that chicken right up SC's garnet and black asses. However, a win on Nov. 24 won't mean the same without their best offensive player.

After seeing it live and watching repplays it pains me every time I see it. Lattimore is a class act, from all accounts, and no player, regardless of what team you play fpr deserves this.

One of most respectful things I've seen in a long time was both Georgia and SC players surrounding Lattimore on the field, we should be talking about the sportsmanship displayed by those two teams, and wishing and praying for a full recovery, not giving this fool his 15 minutes of fame.

I honestly believe Spurrier sits back, listens to all of this and smiles. He's an idiot, a disgrace to the sport, and one UGLY (literally and figuratively) human being.

kellytown writes:

We all wish the best for Marcus and his family.As for Spurrier I said when he was hired that he would do anything for another National Championship. The problem with Stevie is that he is filthy rich and he does't care about anyone or thing. He is spoiled rotten even at his age its all about him. watch him when he speaks even his body language. He knows that he can say whatever and does't care what people think he is pathetic to say the least.