N.C. State poised to make a move; board approved contract parameters in Wednesday meeting

The Clemson Sports Blog

Chad Morris greets fans at Tiger Walk before the NC State football game

Chad Morris greets fans at Tiger Walk before the NC State football game

N.C. State's football search committee is poised to make a move on a coaching hire, armed with a fat checkbook after the school's board of trustees set out parameters for the new coach's contract in a meeting last night in Raleigh.

During the one-hour meeting, names of prospective coaches were not discussed, N.C. State Chancellor Randy Woodson told WRAL-TV.

"The process that we are using here is designed for us to be as quick about this as possible - it's a very competitive market. We feel like we have the opportunity to close this very quickly."

It has been widely reported that N.C. State officials interviewed both Clemson offensive coordinator Chad Morris and Louisiana Tech head coach Sonny Dykes on Wednesday.

Either would realize a significant pay raise by taking the N.C. State job, which is expected to may in excess of $2 million per year.

Morris, who is now wrapping up his second season at Clemson and his third as a college assistant, is the nation's highest paid assistant coach, with a compensation package of $1.3 million per year.

Dykes reportedly makes $760,200 per year as head coach at Louisiana Tech.

Louisiana Tech leads the nation in scoring and total offense this season, while Clemson ranks in the top eight in both categories. Morris' offense rolled up 62 points in N.C. State's defense in the teams' meeting two weeks ago at Death Valley.

tigerdh writes:

I think he owes us more than 2 years with what we have invested in him but he may not think that way. It would be a good increase if he is offered and and takes the job. If he does so be it. We were looking for one when we hired him.

Xander5000 writes:

I don't understand why couldn't schools wait until after the season to do all this. Why even go on recruiting trips for a school that you are planning to leave at the end of the year if that is whats going to happen. Not fair to the program or the new recruits. Creates so much drama and unnecessary uncertainty.

michtiger writes:

in response to tigerdh:

I hope we have a big buy out clause. I thought it was wrong to triple his salary. If that was what it took for him to stay then pretty clear he would not be here long or felt any loyalty. Why would he take NCSt and ACC when there are much better long term programs out there, ex. Auburn.

TigerMarine writes:

If I'm not mistaken as long as he takes a head coach position he has NO buy out ?!?

If he wants to go to ncsu, he is not nearly as bright as everyone has thought. I know Morris is a supposed rising star, but the wolfpack job would be a serious risk to derail his rise. And if I had to work for that AD, uh, no thanks.

brookesdad729 writes:

I believe if they can get Dykes from LaTech, he will be their guy, not Morris, but we already knew that Morris would not be here forever so why are we getting upset that he would be getting a head coaching job somewhere? That's so selfish! That's what every coordinator dreams of doing someday, that's why they coach...duhhhhh! I pray that he comes back and we can get another year under him but if he does get a head coaching position, I wish him nothing but the best! If we can get one more year under him, with Tajh, I believe that we will have an outstanding year. We're definitely improving. We're just spoiled and want to win right now! This is only our 2nd year under his system and look at our record! Go Tigers!

kellytown writes:

in response to brookesdad729:

I totally agree if Chad can better his self I hope him and his family all the best. This is what its all about climbing the ladder to reach your goals every assistant coach in the country wants to be a head coach and if this happens for chad this year or next good for him. I am not bitter for him I appreciate what he has done for the Tigers and continues to do.

Bleedsorange writes:

I wouldn't hire him as a head coach any way. He has not shown he can handle a good defense that has one second of film on us, much less going to coach a team with out our recruiting? Lets be real if he doesn't come up with a more balanced clock involved offense he won't have a job period.