Dabo to media: 'I don't know what is wrong with all of y'all'

The Clemson Sports Blog

Football - Dabo Swinney talks to QB Tajh Boyd in the fourth quarter

Football - Dabo Swinney talks to QB Tajh Boyd in the fourth quarter

“I don’t know what is wrong with all of y’all," Dabo Swinney told members of the media gathered in the Clemson team room on Tuesday for his weekly news conference.

Swinney's rhetorical ire was directed at a larger audience, including those on platforms that shape the national discussion on matters like Heisman Trophy contenders.

"I know I'm biased, but I don’t know of a quarterback playing better in the country than Tajh Boyd," Swinney said. "I know I haven’t studied every player, but I know who they are. I can’t imagine a guy that has meant more to his team than Tajh Boyd."

Boyd was eliminated from consideration for the Davey O'Brien Award, presented annually to the nation's top quarterback, in favor of Ohio State's Braxton Miller, Texas A&M's Johnny Manziel and Kansas State's Collin Klein.

Boyd's numbers back up Swinney's contention.

He comes into the Tigers' regular-season finale ranked No. 1 in the nation in scoring responsibility, with 250 points (passing and rushing) - an average of 22.73 points per game. He ranks second nationally in passing efficiency with a 172.73 rating, has passed for 3,367 yards, is averaging 9.54 yards per passing attempt, and has completed 67.99 percent of his passes.

He ranks seventh in the nation in total offense with 3,833 yards (348.45 per game). He has gained 650 yards on the ground and has 184 yards in sack losses, for a net rushing total of 466 yards.

"This guy has 33 touchdown passes," said Swinney. "He has 41 touchdowns. It’s incredible how he has played, and incredible the leadership he has displayed. And we are a 10-1 football team.

"I see some of the guys they talk about and I'm like ‘Wow.’ I wouldn’t trade my guy for any of them. You can tell me I can have any of them, and I'm keeping the one I got.

"Maybe they will figure it out one of these days. This guy is a special player. He is a winner, and that's just the bottom line. He was a winner in high school, and he's a winner here.

"He has fun - he's fun to be around every day. He always has a smile on his face. He makes big plays."

Swinney says that Boyd's special plays come so frequently that no one seems to take notice.

"He has made some throws that we have just become used to around here," Swinney said. "No big deal - a 20-yard stop route to the field on a rope. No problem. Just like it's easy. He makes it look easy.

"He’s a special player. He really is. I’m really proud of him. But he will get his time. Sooner or later people will start paying attention.”

lovemygolden writes:

The conjunction of you all is spelled y'all. Not ya'll.

f8thwlk writes:

If we beat the chickens, people will start to take notice.

waran writes:

I am a Clemson Alum and believe that Tajh is very good and important for our Team. But I dont believe that he is one of the best QBs in the country this year. How many interceptions and fumbles has he had compared to others who are ranked at the top? How are the Ds of the Clemson opponents ranked as compared to the higher ranked QBs? Also, lots of Tajh's success is because of our WR and I think they are the best in the nation.

If Clemson beats USC and wins our BCS game, I will accept Tajh should have been ranked higher this year and he may get some recognition then. If not, Dabbo should hold his fire and launch a Heisman campaign at the beginning of next year.

KerryCapps writes:

in response to lovemygolden:

The conjunction of you all is spelled y'all. Not ya'll.

Thanks...it's fixed...

justcurious writes:

Dabo I sent you note after note on these blogs 3 years ago about Tagh, I kept saying put Parker on the bench, That he was not in the same league as Boyd and Boyd was just out of HS, so what was wrong with you 3 years ago, Dabo, Let's face it, some schools will get their name in the spotlight a heck of a lot more than our Tigers, I think the Tigers should be ranked a hech of alot higher than 9th also. I must agree with you on Boyd, I am afrais he is heading to the pros's after this season, he has a very big fat wad of cash that will be comingt o him from the pro's, we all know now, that Rookies can get strating QB's job's in the Nfl now don't we. I sure hope you are pushing the Defense side of OUR team, they are are weak spot, and has been for 2-3 years now, just lok at the points given up by the D, no need to look further, The Tigers will hold their own Sat, meanwhile my heart rate and BP goes up when the defense is on the field, yell at them like you do the Offense, maybe they will get the messege,

brookesdad729 writes:

in response to justcurious:

I agree that Tajh is an oustanding QB and he now has the chance to show his stuff this weekend. That's what pundits are waiting to see. How he stacks up against the SC defense will speak volumes if we win this game and honestly I feel good about this one. As far as our ranking that we should be higher? I disagree wholeheartedly. FSU is the only team that we've played this year so far that is even ranked. The schedule is too soft. Is that our fault? No, but the rest of the ACC would lose to Byrnes or Dorman in my opinion and there is something to be said for strength of schedule for sure. I believe we're ready for this test coming up because I believe we have gotten more mature. We didn't fall off the map after losing to FSU and that was big mentally and then coming back in the NCSt game was even better. We didn't lose our composure and that says a lot about this team. Go Tigers! Grilled chicken anyone?

DaboTheClown writes:

in response to brookesdad729:

Brookesdad, I'm sure Dabo read your note 3 years ago intently and pondered it overlooking OnlyMostlyDeathValley. And not getting recognition? There isn't a team in the country that gets more preseason ink than you guys only to cough up winnable conference games and persisting in losing to your instate rivals.