Tajh Boyd set the Clemson and ACC single-game record for touchdown responsibility with eight touchdowns, three rushing and five passing. The previous Clemson record was six by Boyd and Woody Dantlzer. Many ACC players had had six previously.
With his eight touchdowns, Boyd is now responsible for a ACC single-season record 41 touchdowns this season. He broke his own record of 38 set last year. His 79 touchdowns over the last two years are the most in consecutive years in ACC history.
Boyd also set the single-game record for yards of total offense with 529 yards with 426 yards passing and a career-high 103 yards rushing. Ironically, the previous record came at NC State in 2001 when Woodrow Dantzler recorded 517 yards of total offense.
Boyd’s 103 rushing yards were the first 100-yard rushing game by a Clemson quarterback since Dantzler had 135 in his final home game against Duke in 2001.
Boyd’s three rushing touchdowns were a first by a Clemson quarterback since Dantzler had three against Duke in 2000.
Boyd now has 33 touchdown passes for the year to tie his own Clemson single season record.
Boyd completed 30 passes against the Wolfpack. That is tied for the fourth most completions in a single game in school history. It is the most since 2007 when Cullen Harper completed a school-record 38 passes against Virginia Tech. Boyd also had 30 against Auburn last year.
* Brandon Ford caught his seventh and eight career touchdown passes on Saturday. With eight, he is tied with Dwayne Allen for most career touchdown receptions by a tight end in Clemson history. He did that last year. Ford was Clemson’s second leading receiver against the Wolfpack with five receptions for a career-high 101 receiving yards.
* Dalton Freeman broke the Clemson career record for scrimmage plays in the first quarter. He played all 102 snaps against State, giving him 3208 career snaps heading into his final home game next week. The previous record was 3131 by Landon Walker from 2009-12. Today was his 47th consecutive start at center and his 51st game.
* Rashard Hall recorded his 14th career interception and his 17 career takeaway in the second quarter of today’s game. He is now tied with Michael Hamlin for fourth on the Clemson career interception list. He is now in sole possession of third place in Clemson history in takeaways with 17 and passes former teammate DeAndre McDaniel.
* DeAndre Hopkins’s touchdown reception on Saturday was his 15th touchdown reception this season and his 24th career touchdown reception, both extending his own school records.
Hopkins has caught a touchdown pass in eight straight games now. The ACC record for consecutive games with a touchdown reception is nine by Virginia’s Herman Moore in 1998. He will have a chance tie the ACC record next week against South Carolina.
* Sammy Watkins recorded a career-high 11 receptions for 110 receiving yards and one touchdown. It is his second career game with at least 10 catches, and his 11 receptions is tied for third in a single game in school history. Watkins also now has 15 career touchdown receptions, which is tied for eighth most with Terry Smith in career touchdown receptions.
* Martavis Bryant had two receptions for 62 yards in today’s game. He now has 10 receptions for 305 receiving on the season giving him an average of 30.5 yards per reception on the year. That would rank third in school history in yards per reception if the season ended today.
* Vic Beasley recorded a career-high three sacks in today’s game. That is the most since Andre Branch had a school record four sacks against Virginia Tech last season. He now has eight sacks for the season.