In Dabo's Words: 'We made it harder than it had to be...It's a good thing, though'

'We need to finish this season off strong'

Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney reacts to a call during the fourth quarter at Memorial Stadium in Clemson.

Photo by Ken Ruinard

In Dabo's Words...

"What an incredible game. We made it harder than it had to be, and we gave them a couple of sparks. It's a good thing, though, because we haven't faced a lot of adversity as of late. We missed a lot of opportunities early, and the turnovers were huge. But offensively, for us to respond with so many records led to a great win. There were just a lot of things going on in the game."

On his senior class winning 10 games for the second straight season: "What a special group. They're leaving here with the most conference wins in school history."

On Tajh Boyd's late-game injury: "Late in the game he got the wind knocked out of him, but I went over to talk to him and told him to catch his breath, because he was going back in and finishing this thing."

On Clemson's difficulty in defending the Wolfpack: "I kept telling them it's a long way to go, and that we could still crawl back into it. Defensively, their final two scores were very disappointing. The defense was put in bad situations. I thought Vic Beasley was awesome tonight...I'm very proud of everyone for handling adversity and finding a way to win."

On Dalton Freeman's record for career snaps: "He's a special person, a special player and a special leader. He's incredibly consistent. There is no doubt he's a great leader on and off the field. He'll be hard to replace. It feels like he's part of my staff."

On next week's game against South Carolina: "We need to turn our focus to South Carolina and make every day for the rest of the season count. I've told them the whole season that every game is the biggest game of the year. We need to finish this season strong."

cuGIZ82 writes:

Another solid win...wish we could have defended those two 1st qtr bombs better. But good team win none the less.

ManTiger writes:

Defense and Special teams still need a lot of work. No way should a lowly team score that many points on us

lhaselden writes:

in response to ManTiger:

defense special teams offense all need work but FSU that beat us has one loss to NCSt,,, this is not a lowly team that we should shut out.

O needs less turnovers
D we need more dbacks... injuries have left us short handed
ST need to cover kicks better....or kick it out of the endzone.....

columbiabill writes:

What a game! I see where Venables said he thought the defense was in control and in a strange sort of way I tend to agree with him. Yes, we did make it much harder than it needed to be. For me the real turning point in the game was when we were off sides on the kick-off and on the re kick, the NCS guy returned it almost for a touchdown followed by a 16 yard run for their touchdown. I believe if it had not been for that play, it would have been a Clemson rout. Busted coverages, what can you say? It's too late in the season to fix these and when the opposing quarterback is on with his throws, its going to lead to big gains. So how do I agree with Venables? Take away the busted pass coverage and the defense was for the most part able to stop NCS, especially the front 4. Overall a nice win though and I am glad to get this one behind us as it could have very well been a trap game with SC next up. I've said all along the next game is the most important one on the schedule and now I can finally say the SC game is the most important one. Should be a good one. If Clemson does what LSU did on defense it will take Shaw out of his game. If not, he will run wild against us and it could be a long night.

tigerdh writes:

Make no mistake about it I'm pleased with the win, but could not agree that it was more difficult than it should have been. I did not feel the defense was in control. There is no way ST should be giving up the yards that they did and defence should have played better.

tigerdh writes:

in response to tigerdh:

I ment to say "could not agree more" in above post.