Following Nkemdiche's lead, Grayson's David Kamara withdraws commitment

Cornerback prospect plans to visit elsewhere before making final decision

David Kamara

David Kamara

Following the lead of teammate Robert Nkemdiche, Grayson High (Loganville, Ga.) defensive back David Kamara has announced his de-commitment from Clemson.

Kamara, the long-time best friend of Nkemdiche, confirmed to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution on Tuesday that he has withdrawn his commitment from the Tigers.

'I just wanted to take my visits everywhere to make sure that I was making the right decision,” Kamara told the AJC.

He told ESPN he had already contacted Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney.

“I called Dabo up and just let him know I needed to take a step back and re-evaluate my options,” Kamara told ESPN. “This is my life, so I need to make sure I make the right decision.”

Meanwhle, Grayson teammate Wayne Gallman, another Clemson commitment, tweeted that he is "100 percent" committed to the Tigers. "Looks like I'm by myself now," Gallman wrote.

Another Grayson player, Nick Schuessler, is a walk-on freshman quarterback on the Clemson football team. Schuessler, who quarterbacked Grayson to a state title last season, originally signed a letter of intent with Mississippi State.

kellytown writes:

Well we would rather not have a player that is not 100% commited this opens up a slot for another player that is 100% commited good luck to you. After all it is your decision to make should have thought of that before commiting however this is what happens when you get caught up in the moment. Gallman is holding steady to his commitment.

Lynx26 writes:

I respect it... its all good.

Leggo Tigers. Trust me, We'll bring in a top DB and D lineman.

upstatewave writes:

Two players that have never played a down in college. More 4 & 5 start players watching from home each Saturday and Sunday than playing..

kellytown writes:

in response to jdl031287#282299:

(This comment was removed by the site staff.)

I totally agree this guy is small for a cb he was just riding the coat tail of his team mate.He will go some where to play and good luck.So lets get a big cb that can do the job.

greersc writes:

Heck, the only thing I was committed to at 17 was the next party. I grew up, hopefully they will too.

TUN writes:

I think people get way too caught up in the recruiting process these days. As Clemson fans our only focus should be on NC State and making sure we destroy them in the Valley on Saturday. And after NC State, our focus should only be pounding South Carolina. All of this recruiting stuff will take care of itself. I am fully confidant that Dabo will once again put together an outstanding class. He does it every year and he is building a powerhouse here in Clemson. We don't need Nkemdiche or Kamara to have an outstanding class but to be honest if I had to choose between Gallman and Kamara, I would choose Gallman in a heartbeat. He is a better player and athlete. Clemson fans should not wring their hands over verbal commits who later decommit. It is just part of the process. One of Dabo's great strengths is recruiting and Clemson is an easy sell both as a university and as a football program on the rise. Anyone who knows anything about Clemson football knows that we have and will continue to attract elite athletes from all over the country. We have nothing to worry about recruiting wise. Our best sales pitch for our program is to keep winning and to take care of business the next two weeks.

tigerdh writes:

in response to TUN:

I think TUN is right on. We get way too caught up in the recruting process and we will attract elite athletes with Dabo and crew at the controles.

Bleedsorange writes:

I will add one more thing to that, win our bowl game then worry about recruiting. Besides if we go to the sugar bowl and win (especially if it's Alabama we beat) every recruit in the country will want to play wearing a tiger paw next year.

kellytown writes:

in response to TUN:

very well stated. !00% agreed

cuGIZ82 writes:

I've learned to wait to see how a recruits performs on the college level and to pay little attention to player rankings coming out of high school. Some 5 stars go onto become bust and 3 stars become major contributors to the school of their choice.