Sammy Watkins applies for Pre-Trial Intervention to expunge arrest record

University announces Watkins as first Clemson 1st-team All-American to make Academic Honor Roll since David Treadwell in 1988

Clemson's Sammy Watkins makes a catch against Wake Forest.

Clemson's Sammy Watkins makes a catch against Wake Forest.

Clemson University's star football player Sammy Watkins has applied for pre-trial intervention, a move toward expunging his recent drug charges, his attorney and prosecutors confirmed Wednesday.

Bob Ariail, who represents Watkins, said his client applied for PTI shortly before retaining him as legal counsel.

Clemson University Police arrested Watkins and soccer player Abadou Dia after officers say they found controlled substances and marijuana during a traffic stop on May 4.

First-time offenders often apply for PTI, a program designed to give the defendant a chance to complete community service in exchange for case dismissal.

13th Circuit Solicitor Walt Wilkins, whose office is prosecuting, confirmed Watkins has applied for PTI, but couldn't say whether the athlete has been accepted into the program. The law prevents him from discussing PTI until the program is completed, Wilkins said.

As for Dia, his case is being handled through Clemson University's Municipal Court where Dia was scheduled to appear Wednesday at 5.

Also on Wednesday, the university released dashcam video of the arrest after media outlets filed freedom of information requests. Initially the university denied the request, but this week, it decided to release the video after the athletes' attorneys agreed.

The video is 47 minutes long, and Watkins and Dia appear calm and cooperative during the entire incident.

However, what was said during the first 40 minutes of the video was not captured because the officer's microphone was broken.

"The officer's microphone malfunctioned," Clemson University Spokesman John Gouch wrote in a statement. "When CUPD reviewed the video they discovered the problem. They did an audit of videos from that vehicle for the previous month and discovered the microphone didn't work 30 percent of the time. They sent it to be repaired."

In the video, officers search the car and both men, and take two pills (later identified as Vyvanse and Adderall) from Watkins' pocket. Officers also found a bag of marijuana on Dia, according to the police department.

After he was put into the cruiser, Watkins yelled to the officer, "Sir! Sir! I got some [marijuana] on me also ... some more in my pants."

"Where at in your pants?" the officer asks.

"All the way in there," Watkins said, and added, "under my crotch, sir, under my crotch."

As the officer took Watkins to jail, the rising sophomore expressed concerns about who was going to tow his older model Cadillac from the scene and how much it was going to cost.

Toward the end of the recording the officer told Watkins, "I appreciate you being so respectful with me."

"Yes sir, you're welcome."

Head Coach Dabo Swinney hasn't yet announced what disciplinary action, if any, he'll take, but the university's sports department released this statement on Wednesday:

"Sammy Watkins made Academic Honor roll for second semester. First Clemson football player to make AP First-team All-American and academic honor roll in same year since David Treadwell (1987-88)."

Terri (Inactive) writes:

To suspend Watkins would be a travesty and a gross injustice. He is a model citizen and exibited such even in his lowest hour.

Any other student participating in any other endeavor for the University would be given a chance for redemption.

One hopes that Dabo doesn't succumb to the whoops and hollers from foes of the football team posing as Tiger devotees or dufus talking heads who advocate suspension because they run out of anything else to talk about.

jvarn77 writes:

I would like to know why yall requested the video from the police car dashboard? If you did I would say Im extremely disgusted that a Clemson website would do such a thing.

brookesdad729 writes:

in response to Terri:

I'm a Tiger from the heart and I agree with most of what you said except there has to be some kind of suspension. At least one game. It sends a message that this kind of behavior is not tolerated from anyone, including our "star athlete". We see what happened in Columbia with all the "slaps on the wrist" that Garcia got. He eventually got canned and it hurt that team. "Nip" it from the start and there will be no misunderstanding. Although he is handling it well , he still needs to deal with the consequences of his actions.

TRUTH4U2 writes:

I am no Clemson fan, but agree you don't want this to a Garcia thing. A one game suspension and a drug education class would be fair in my opinion.

Terri (Inactive) writes:

TRUTH4U2, SENMANTHETIGERFAN, BROOKESDAD729 :

I respect...and understand your positions...however, I disagree.

Read what tigerpride86 posted a few days ago relating his experience concerning a far, far more serious violation: underage drinking...a real nip-it-in the bud issue if there ever was one. And a violation of rules that can have tragic consequences associated with it:
As a former regular student who admits to having had to go through the judiciary process due to under-aged drinking several years ago, I can tell you that this is actually taking about the right amount of time. I was busted prior to fall semester exams in December and did not learn of my punishment until the following March! I thought I was off the hook before I got the letter and phone call. There is a long process and, like on any other college campus across the nation, a lot of students getting in trouble for these minor infractions. They have to gather all the information on every case and then make time in their own academic schedules to meet and discus (because the judiciary board you are talking about is made up of students as well). The integrity of the University is still intact and I believe that he is being treated equally. I was sentenced to take a test to determine my "level of addiction" and then had to take a few classes on drinking and alcohol. Since this is his first offense, I don't see why he can't receive the same treatment as I did.

Terri (Inactive) writes:

in response to TRUTH4U2:

Truth..let me mouth off on that one.

Considering what Stephen Garcia did for USC, I think he was rode hard and put up wet.

Sure, he got multiple chances(5?6?) and repeatedly screwed up, but he did no malice except the keying of the prof's car. That was bad.
But he was allowed to take Carolina to the zenith of their football history because he was the best QB on the team...for four years. Conner shaw didn't click until....shizzam...right BEFORE they dismissed Garcia from the team. He was then expendible.
And he was not allowed to participate with the team of which he was the MVP for the last few games of his career...even on the bench.
And yes, I know the names of Lattimore and Jeffrey and Gilmore, et. al. But it was Stephen Garcia who was the MVP,IMHO.

And not to allow him to at least absorb a little of the glory that he was the main contributor to was a shameful act.

Closing....his POSITION COACH was caught urinating(some say more lurid acts occurred) on main street in Greenville. He wasn't dismissed. It was known at the time that he was under investigation for NCAA violations as well.

TRUTH4U2 writes:

in response to Terri:

Truth..let me mouth off on that one.

I totally agree with you and for the most part you are 100 % correct. The kid needed help and I personally do not believe USC gave him that help.
Which brought me to my point about Sammy Watkins. Get him help if needed, disciplined him in a way that teaches a lesson and move on.

simpleman303 (Inactive) writes:

1 game suspension at the very least. He's a student first but a student athlete representing your school in public. the drug ed. class is a nice touch too!! (no clemtech fan either not by a long shot)

TigerMarine writes:

I bleed orange but I've ALWAYS prided myself in the tigers for not including themselves in the thuggery that other teams do and this from Watkins was a huge let down. I think Sammy should sit the first 3 games to make it crystal clear WE WILL NOT ALLOW THIS ON OUR TEAM !

johnsmyth writes:

All you Clemson fans dont really care about Sammy Watkins as a person or what he does, what laws he breaks, what rules he breaks. None of that matters as long as he can show up and help win football games. The sad true fact is that is all that really matters and all anyone is really worried about. Not a single one of you has voiced a single concern of support for the soccer player who was with him. Where is his high dollar lawyer? Who is paying for Sammy's legal defense?