Clemson Tigers wide receiver Sammy Watkins arrested on charge of possessing marijuana

Clemson Football  - Sammy Watkins

Clemson Football - Sammy Watkins

— Clemson rising sophomore star wide receiver Sammy Watkins was arrested early Friday morning by the Clemson University Police Department after police reportedly found pills and marijuana in his car, the Independent Mail confirmed today.

Watkins was with Amadou-Tidiane Daniel Dia, a sophomore on Clemson's men's soccer team. Watkins' car, a 1999 Cadillac with temporary Florida tags, was stopped when an officer saw it scrape against a curb on campus and noticed that its temporary license tag was not illuminated, according to the university. When the officer pulled the car over, he smelled marijuana, according to reports, and during a search the officer found marijuana and two schedule 2 controlled substances for which Watkins could not produce a prescription.

The pills reportedly were Adderall and lisdexanfetamine (Vyvanase), both of which are prescribed to treat attention deficit hyperactivity disorder or ADHD.

The two were arrested and taken to the Clemson City Jail, where they were held overnight. Watkins was charged with possession of a controlled substance and possession of marijuana, according to the university. He was released Friday morning after posting a $1,620 personal recognizance bond. Dia, craged with possession of marijuana, was released after posting a $620 personal recognizance bond.

In a statement, Clemson coach Dabo Swinney said Friday he was aware of the arrest and in the "process of gathering facts." He said that discipline for Watkins will be handed down when that process is complete.

"I am mad and hurt by the poor decision that Sammy Watkins made," Swinney said. "He is a good young man who has been a model student, citizen, player and teammate. This is a reminder that good people make poor decisions. But, there are consequences for your actions... and there will be in this case."

Watkins expressed regret for the arrest in a statement.

"I made a mistake last night and I am truly sorry for my actions. I let the team down, the coaches down and this university down. I will learn from this," he said. "I will accept any discipline Coach Swinney and the university issues.”

Clemson athletic director Terry Don Phillips also issued a statement on the matter.

“I was made aware of the arrest of these two student-athletes early this morning,” he said. “From a departmental standpoint I have been in consultation with both coaches today and will continue to over the next few days regarding this situation.”

Clemson men's soccer coach Mike Noonan said he was also "disappointed" in Dia.

“I am in the process of collecting the facts in the case involving Amadou Dia,” he said. “I am obviously very disappointed. His actions go against the values of the Clemson men’s soccer program and there will be disciplinary action.”

Watkins is one of college football’s top returning offensive players and one of its most versatile. The website Heismanpundit.com named him one of 18 players to watch in the fall, along with junior quarterback Tajh Boyd, for the Heisman Trophy.

He was a consensus national freshman of the year, catching 82 passes for 1,219 yards and 12 touchdowns, while running 33 kick returns for 826 yards and an 89-yard touchdown, averaging 25 yards per return.

Sammy Watkins

Clemson University Police Department

Sammy Watkins

He set ACC freshman records in yardage, receiving and touchdowns last fall and was a key to Clemson’s first ACC championship since 1991.

He was named as a first-team Associated Press All-American as a specialist, one of only three true freshmen ever to earn that honor.

The other two were Georgia tailback Herschel Walker and Oklahoma tailback Adrian Peterson.

simpleman303 (Inactive) writes:

sammy in the slammy.....GOOO DAWGS

CUTigers1865 writes:

in response to simpleman303:

sammy in the slammy.....GOOO DAWGS

UGA has no room to talk.. go Look at your UGA websites... typical UGA fan.. more concerned with other teams than their own.

CUTigers1865 writes:

The worst thing you could do is turn your back on Sammy.. We act like we've never made bad decisions before?? Get a grip.. Dabo will handle and expect a suspension.. IF the Tigers can't stand without Sammy then we would be in trouble any way you look at it. We have plenty of play makers. I'm glad it happened now and not during the season. Time will heal. - Solid Orange and Go Tigers!

CUTigers1865 writes:

in response to sennmanthetigerfan:

(This comment was removed by the site staff.)

Have you never made a bad decision.. Disappointed if you're a Tiger fan. Handle yourself with more class than that. If you want to be like a gamecock fan then go be one.

Rabbitjack writes:

He made a POOR, POOR choice. Hopefully he will learn from his mistake.

YabbaDaboDooDoo writes:

Don't come down so hard on Sammy Potkins. He was just trying to forget the Orange Bowl.

lhaselden writes:

Like most of us in high school and college Sammy Watkins made a bad decision. But his character was shown by his statement:
"I will learn from this," he said. "I will accept any discipline Coach Swinney and the university issues.”
He did not whine about being arrested, nor blame anyone else, he states he expects to be disciplined for his actions and he will abide by the University's decisions. Sammy Watkins is not a boy not a kid, that statement shows that he is a man even if he is not 20 years old yet.

DMM writes:

Don't count on much. The way to go these days is suspend for spring practice/game, a couple of cupcake games, etc. but nothing substantial and you're back in action. See SCAR and GA. Not surprised by this - word was that's why Bellamy was suspended for the ACCC game. He and Sammy got caught in CLT with weed, and the expendable one took the rap and got sent home for 'attitude' issues.

YabbaDaboDooDoo writes:

in response to lhaselden:

Yes, I'm sure those words are Sammy Potkins' orignal thoughts and not what someone told him to say. Go watch an interview of Sammy Potkins and ask yourself if "I will accept any discipline Coach Swinney and the university issues" is something he would think up on his own.

teeman89 writes:

When I attend Clemson back in the day, A fun nightfor the star athletes was to drive around campus showing off your pretty girl friend, not chasing dope with some other dude. That's plain stupid to me! What is wrong with this generation?

YabbaDaboDooDoo writes:

in response to CannotStopTheVoice:

(This comment was removed by the site staff.)

AIM's coverage of Clemson sports is nothing but sunshine and rainbows. They would lose what little credibility they have left if they ignored the pot arrest of the most visible player on the team. Don't worry though. They'll write a dozen redemption stories about Sammy Potkins by this time next year. You'll get your sunshine and rainbows back soon enough and maybe they'll even find a way to weave in a Danny Ford reference or two.

TRUETIGER1 writes:

Look, it's weed, he's a kid from a BAD AREA, if you're going to recruit these kids, someone on TDP's staff should teach some life skills. There are things accepted where they come from that they can't do in the national spotlight, it's a fact of the world we live in. I'm really surprised there aren't more arrests nationwide.

simpleman303 (Inactive) writes:

in response to CUTigers1865:

Listen don't take so much offense to this statement, typical clemtech response. I don't blame you for hating UGA if I had lost to a team as much as clemtech has to UGA I'd be pissed at every little thing anyone has to say about the dawgs too! BTW just for your F.Y.I. That's the last 5 times in a row they have played and the last 6 of 7 wins for UGA.... just sayin'... HAVE A NICE DAY

lhaselden writes:

in response to YabbaDaboDooDoo:

<<Yes, I'm sure those words are Sammy Potkins' orignal thoughts and not what someone told him to say. >>
I have listened to Sammy Watkins interviews and he seems much more well spoken that you are at writing! You seem to not be capable of spelling the young man's name correctly/

BradSenkiw writes:

in response to CannotStopTheVoice:

(This comment was removed by the site staff.)

This is completely wrong. I wrote an NCAA-USC story the day it was announced and was at the press conference myself. Please take the time to actually read before you post something that isn't correct.

simpleman303 (Inactive) writes:

in response to DMM:

so in other words "dum and dummer" didn't learn from the first time....I'm referring to "potkins", for the clemtech fans who otherwise would be left scratching their heads...who is he talking about?. I love how clemtech fans love to compare with USC and GA when bad things happen. of course they can't compare any other way....

TRUTH4U2 writes:

Well, well what a surprise cannotstop post about a Clempsux thug and still cannot help himself to mention Chicken U. Really hurts when it's one of your own doesn't. Dont worry Sammy dropkins potkins will get off with a slap on the wrist.
And Brad is correct about his article the day the NCAA made their statement it was published. USC went above and beyond the investigation and thats the main reason they got off with the self imposed charges. Maybe Dabo should learn a lesson here instead of ranting and raving about the past, which he had nothing to do with!

brookesdad729 writes:

in response to YabbaDaboDooDoo:

Did you think of this post on your own? Probably not yabadabadumbo! It really took the intelligence of a chicken to write that thought! Someone that would have committed that violation at Chicken U would get a full scholarship and 6 "get out of jail free" cards to boot! Oh I forgot the free rooms at the Whitney Hotel! Don't you have your own site to post on?

CUTigers1865 writes:

in response to sennmanthetigerfan:

(This comment was removed by the site staff.)

I never once said anything about discipline.. he should miss some games and do something with kids on drugs.. Well sir, I'm loaded with class and work with superstars on a regular basis (not kidding) I know about discipline and I KNOW dabo will punish Sammy.. your comment was just like anyone elses who criticizes people.. jumping to anger instead of reasoning.. that is all.

CUTigers1865 writes:

in response to simpleman303:

no one brought UGA into the comment but you.. and yes y'all have kicked our tails but guess what sir i'm going to be that typical clemtech fan and say we beat y'all on the one that counts that led to a Championship.. yeah yeah yeah Go DAWGS... geeze dude

Lynx26 writes:

Its unfortunate... But It's a minor case.

WELCOME TO THE LIFE OF A COLLEGE STUDENT!

1) Finals week prep

** 90% of us athletes have and will be around it on a college campus. Face the facts... its life - It happens.

TRUST ME, Sammy will be fine as will every other student-including your son/daughter/neice/nephew/grankids in america.

GET OVER IT - THANKS (Could be worse)

* Theres a reason why NCAA doesn't test for Marijuana (too common)

clemsongirl99 writes:

Sammy made a wrong decision but don't tear him down. Let him know you still believe in him and support him. Sammy was always an inspiration to me, and minus the pot case he still is. Sammy knows he did wrong and he regrets it. Sammy is and always will be #2! Keep your head up Sammy!

johnsmyth writes:

#1 The bottom line here is that these kids should be held to a higher standard! They are icons of the university they play for and are looked up to by kids everywhere.
#2 WHY are these college athletes, many of whom are getting a FREE ride at very expensive schools not drug tested on a regular basis.
#3 He broke the law and was in possession of DRUGS, I don't care what drug it was, lets not forget the prescription amphetamine he was in possession of.
#4 If an employee of this university had been arrested and charged with a similar crime they would be FIRED.
#5 the story states he was driving a 2008 Cadillac WHO GAVE HIM THIS VEHICLE!! my understanding is he came from somewhat of a "non wealthy" situation.
#6 How many NCAA violations can be found as a fall out from this?
#7 ALL you Clemson fans can relax, he is the most important player on the team, he will do NO time, his charges will likely be dropped, the officer who arrested him will likely be disciplined for doing something wrong and i guarantee you he will NOT miss a single game.
#8 Most importantly I will point out, he is only "sorry" and admitting "i made a mistake" because he got CAUGHT!! had he not ben caught he would be smoking dope and having a big time right now!!

Lynx26 writes:

in response to johnsmyth:

#6 How many NCAA violations can be found as a fall out from this?

#9 Are you done crying?? its ridiculous to read your comments.... i bet your keyboard is drenched in tears. #StopIt

brookesdad729 writes:

in response to johnsmyth:

#6 How many NCAA violations can be found as a fall out from this?

#1 Why? They are students just like any other. We the fans, put them on "pedestals" and idolize them and it starts in HS. Your kids will idolize who you idolize. In my house it's Jesus!
#2 I agree but not just athletes, again they are students just like the rest. Or maybe even those receiving scholarships can be tested but then would that be fair?
#3 I agree. These athletes get away with too much. Example: Stephen Garcia. I would have booted him after the car keying incident. I also agree with pre-trial for the first offense and this is his first offense, it doesn't matter what we think, the law is the law.
#4 I agree 200%!!! How about that for a trustworthy justice system!
#5 My sentiments exactly! This was one of the second thoughts I had after I heard the story. I do know that what's hidden in the dark will come to the light and I pray that this vehicle is legit.
#6 Agree
#7 I think that we will take a page out of the Stephen Garcia playbook and not have a repeat of that. I believe that if he gets into trouble again, he's outta here! Unlike Garcia, who missed spring practice and summer workouts, Sammy WILL miss some playing time, I guarantee that! Dabo will not do like the Ole Ball Sack in Columbia SC and give him 6 "get outta jail free" cards and a hotel room I don't care how good he is. I.E. Mike Bellamy.
#8 Duhhhh! Isn't that human nature? This never happened to you? I don't mean about the pot but "a man with a glass house shouldn't throw stones." We have all made mistakes and yes he should get another chance but that's it. I believe that he will get it right but hey I have been wrong before and so have the rest of us who post on here. My job now it to pray for him because I am a father and have a young adult son and I only want the best for him. It really peeves me when a guy is the best thing since sliced cheese to you folks but when he makes one mistake you want to throw him under the bus and keep running over him. As long as he is entertaining you he is alright but when the shows over he's just another piece of trash to go out with the garbage!

columbiabill writes:

I don't believe I have ever seen 30 comments on one article. It must be a record. After reading all 30 it seems there are a certain few who want to stomp on the kid. It seems mostly from other fan bases rather than Clemson. A typical rush to judgment. Let's wait until all the facts are known. As others have said, I am sure Dabo will deal with this in a fair way and if what we know now is true, I am sure games will be missed. It will not be a slap on the wrist as we have seen elsewhere. In the meantime, let's remember he is an 18 year old kid.

ffstreetdoc writes:

in response to Lynx26:

I can assure you I have not shed a single tear for this dirtbag!! he means nothing to me, I am simply stating facts.

TRUTH4U2 writes:

Forget the pot, where did the caddie come from?