No decision, no timetable for Sammy Watkins disciplinary action

Watkins' attorney expects him to be accepted into PTI program

Sammy Watkins stiff arms Tech's Chris Hill after catching a pass.

Sammy Watkins stiff arms Tech's Chris Hill after catching a pass.

Clemson football coach Dabo Swinney has not made a team discipline decision regarding star receiver Sammy Watkins, and no timetable is in place to make a decision, according to an athletic department spokesperson.

Watkins was arrested on campus last month for possession of marijuana and two pills for which he did not have a prescription. The pills were medications commonly used to treat ADHD.

Last week, Watkins applied for pre-trial intervention. If Watkins is accepted and completes the program, it will allow his record to be cleared.

The program typically involves counseling and community service for first-time offenders.

Watkins’ attorney, Bob Arial, told reporters he expects Watkins to be accepted into the program.

Watkins earned numerous national honors last season after setting a number of freshman receiving records at Clemson. Watkins finished the year with 82 catches, 1,219 yards and 12 touchdowns.

simpleman303 (Inactive) writes:

Holy moly, what's the hold up? Are they just trying to hope it will go away? Or will they just wait to penalize ol' slammy potkins after his senior season? what to do what to do....suspend him like a respectful program would and be done with it.

rcrowe writes:

Garcia boy go get your keys.....

TigerMarine writes:

in response to simpleman303:

Yeah they need to hurry up and suspend him right now to stop him from helping them win all these nonexistent summer games.

johnsmyth writes:

in response to sennmanthetigerfan:

(This comment was removed by the site staff.)

I doubt it. They are more likely letting time pass to get this whole mess out of everyone's mind, give him a chance to wash some police cars to satisfy his "community service" time and allow PTI to get his charges dropped. Then there is nothing to suspend him for, they will tell you he paid for his crime and all is good with the world. PLAY BALL.

TRUETIGER1 writes:

Give the kid a break, he made a mistake. The real challenge is to make sure the behavior does not continue. Second offenses should be punished severely, 1st not so much. Football is important, but what this kid becomes is way more important.

simpleman303 (Inactive) writes:

treat him like any other NCAA player. suspend him the 1st game... then shut up and play ball...end of story....tigermarine..., not one person, other than you mentioned anything about non-existant summer games. do you watch non-existant games? then don't worry about them... he should be suspended the next game played...just like everybody else.

omnipotent1 writes:

in response to simpleman303:

I believe tigermarine was referring to all the games 5 or was it 6 time suspended garcia missed while at usuc.

EverLoyal14 writes:

Honesty. Integrity. Respect.

For Clemson students and Alumni alike, our core values mean something more than any outsider can understand. They're the foundation of this university and are reflected in what we do and how we operate. My advice, in short, is for those who are connected to Clemson to show faith in the values instilled in you as Tiger and trust our program to do what they see fit. On the flip side, to those not connected to the university, regardless of your affiliation to another institution, relax and let us handle our business as I can assure you we are fully capable.

A final note, comparing Sammy Watkins to Garcia is just absurd. Different people, different circumstances, and different programs. Where you eventually end up is a lot less important than where you ultimately end up. Go Tigers!

Ever Loyal.

simpleman303 (Inactive) writes:

in response to omnipotent1:

You could be right on that one. Seeing as how I'm NOT a carolina fan I could care less about Garcia as well.

TRUETIGER1 writes:

Garcia continuously broke the rules. Watkins has one offense that I am aware of. Let he who is without sin, cast the first stone. I don't see a repetitive problem with our kid. Is anyone 100% sure it was his dope, there was someone else in the car. If Watkins was not a football star,there probably would not have been an arrest and certainly no media coverage. 1st offense slap on the wrist, 2nd bust his butt.

TigerMarine writes:

in response to omnipotent1:

No i wasn't referring to Garcia I was only commenting about the impatience with announcing Sammys punishment and how there are no games going on right now! So as long as Dabo suspends him for atleast the Auburn game by the Auburn game who cares when it happens. I couldn't agree more sennman, about the chickens and your son. Three game suspension is in order in my opinion though !

bridgalan1 writes:

Cherry pick the games.....its what everyone else does.....we need to win ball games....win....win...win!!......do what ever it takes to win!!

Terri (Inactive) writes:

senmanthetigerfan.....I am truly skeptical of your bona fides.
Sammy Watkins did no harm to anyone.
You want to suspend him for three games?

By extending your logic, if we cancel the season people will KNOW that we are good and moral and cannonization is just around the corner.

Marijuana is much, much, much less harmful than alcohol. Thank God he wasn't drinking and driving.
He is a very respectful and respectable young man. He is a very likable young man and a solid citizen. A great ambassador for Clemson University.
Probation seems to be in order because he did violate a (stupid) law, however. Just as many CU....as well as USC....students do each year-with no suspension from classes, student activities, and such. Why single out Sammy???

Back to your bona fides....tell the guys in the education school down at Columbia to teach you the difference between 'loose' and 'lose'.

Terri (Inactive) writes:

in response to sennmanthetigerfan:

(This comment was removed by the site staff.)

the loser/loose jab was actually pretty good. I'd give you an A-.
However, I wasn't referring to your intelligence/education/intellect....whatever...or anything in that regard. I was referring to your bona fides...regarding your username. You claim to be a tiger supporter, yet you seem to want to hogtie Clemson unnessisarily. I don't know you, or who you are...and perhaps I shouldn't have made the (actually half-hearted) accusation that you could be a "poser" for Carolina on the board. Time will tell. As I said..I don't know you and haven't researched your previous posts.

I'll just assume you are way more unforgiving than me and I'll respect your judgement and hope for the same. Forgive me for any slight incurred.

Yes, I think the laws are stupid. But they are, as I said, on the books. And should be obeyed. Probation is handed out thousands of times a day in the U.S. for the same infraction committed by Sammy. He deserves no more harsh treatment. Period. Just because he is a megastar he shouldn't be punished more severely than the student in the ninth row.

Dabo should put him on notice and move on. Next time is next time. Hope it never comes.

TigerMarine writes:

The other students aren't voluntarily in the spotlight making them a rolemodel for others. Also other students don't have their entire tuition paid for that very public talent. As far as a three game suspension making us hogtied if it does we don't deserve to win in the first place ! Like coaches ALWAYS say when their star athlete is injured "Thar are 21 other boys out there playin their hearts out, we ain't a 1 man team." I still love Sammy and I'm sure he will be the outstanding player he always was but he needs to learn illegal drugs are just that ILLEGAL !!!!!!!

simpleman303 (Inactive) writes:

why is it you little tiglette fans want to dismiss this as ...it's just a little pot...did you people just lose the fact he was caught with other illegal drugs as well? what a bunch of dopes. guess you want that swept under the carpet as well.