No. 2 Most Valuable Tiger: WR Sammy Watkins

The Clemson Sports Blog

Clemson's Sammy Watkins runs with the ball against West Virginia.

Clemson's Sammy Watkins runs with the ball against West Virginia.

— It didn’t take long for Sammy Watkins to show Clemson’s fans just how special he was.

26 seconds, in fact.

On the second offensive play of the Tigers’ 2011 season opener against Troy, the freshman receiver bolted down the right flat of the field, plucked Tajh Boyd’s pass out of the air and rolled 33 yards for the season’s first touchdown.

It was Watkins’ first career touch, and it came only 26 seconds into the game – giving him the shortest wait for a touchdown in a Clemson career.

That was a major harbinger of what lay ahead. Watkins authored the best freshman season ever by a Clemson and ACC receiver and one of the best ever by any freshman receiver.

Watkins rolled up 82 receptions for 1,219 yards and 12 touchdowns, adding 32 rushes for 231 yards and 33 kick returns for 826 yards – including a game-changing 89 yard kickoff return at Maryland.

His game-breaking athleticism and ability make him one of college football’s most exciting players, and one of Clemson’s most valuable. Watkins checks in at No.2 in our ongoing countdown of the Tigers’ 20 most valuable players.

Last fall, Watkins set Clemson program records for receiving yards and receiving yards per game (93.8) and ACC freshman records for receptions, receiving yards and touchdowns while compiling 2,288 all-purpose yards. At Maryland, he led the comeback from a 38-17 second-half deficit with three second-half touchdowns, finishing with a school-record 345 all-purpose yards.

He was named national freshman of the year by Rivals.com and The Sporting News, national offensive freshman of the year by CollegeFootballNews.com and was a consensus first-team freshman All-America.

He was a first-team All-American, according to the Associated Press and FoxSports.com, becoming only the third true freshman to be named an AP first-team All-American. The other two: Georgia’s Herschel Walker and Oklahoma’s Adrian Peterson.

Watkins came to Clemson with immense hype; he was rated as the nation’s No.1 wideout and No.9 overall prospect by 247Sports.com, the No.3 wideout and No.15 overall player by Rivals.com and No.5 wideout and No.41 overall player by Scout.com.

Three workouts into preseason practice, he moved into the starting lineup and stayed there. Coaches raved about his maturity and ability to quickly pick up Chad Morris’ hurry-up, no-huddle offense.

He injected game-breaking ability into an offense badly in need of it, opening up the field for teammates like DeAndre Hopkins, Andre Ellington and Dwayne Allen.

Opponents had to pay attention to Watkins, and often that wasn’t enough. It was no coincidence that the offense struggled after he suffered a separated shoulder in mid-November against Wake Forest; he wasn’t fully healthy the rest of the season.

And with a winter and spring practice to mature and fix his shortcomings, there’s no reason to think he won’t be better this fall.

An early May arrest for possession of marijuana and drugs used to control ADHD cloud his early-season outlook; coach Dabo Swinney said last month that Watkins is likely to miss at least some game time, although when and how much remains unclear.

Playing without Watkins should only illustrate how much Watkins means to his team and his offense.

He is, without question, one of Clemson’s most valuable assets.

savagetiger writes:

Bingo! Told ya;+)

FutureClemsonFootballPlayer writes:

Come on Greg. Pull a troll plz lol. Make it so that Tajh isn't #1 lol.

simpleman303 (Inactive) writes:

He's got the second best connections on the team huh? come on coach dimbo, where's the punishment... use georgia for an example, suspend or toss.....don't just sweep it out the door...and for you clemson fans who want to yell: it was just a little pot please remember the controlled substance, excuse me, the 2 controlled substances he was caught with.....

iptaytiger writes:

You Lamecocks are obsessed with any thing Clemson related...Go somewhere else and troll

simpleman303 (Inactive) writes:

AIN'T NO LAMECOCK ...PAL...THANK YOU VERY MUCH....

PtownDawg writes:

Simpleton303 ain't no Tiger either. Gotta have haters who want to see everybody else "pay for their sins". Don't worry simpleman303, Dabo will make him pay, hopefully you and the "press world" will never know the whole punishment...it would be a shame to hear you all cry about how it wasn't enough...regardless of what the punishment is!

brookesdad729 writes:

Simpleman303 is certainly a Lamecock! Of course he may be a FSU Criminol! Whatever he is, he needs to get on his teams site and get off ours! Sammy is gonna be fine and Dabo will do what he chooses because he is the HC!

simpleman303 (Inactive) writes:

My only concern is the little feller get what everyone else gets... fair is fair...NCAA fair not just ooooo he's our star....I understand you all don't have to much to holler and be proud of but.....Ptown...all I have ever said is a 1 game suspension... the next game as is done to most law-breakers in the NCAA...you have a problem with that? Then it's YOUR problem PAL

simpleman303 (Inactive) writes:

Brookes dad, I'm hoping you or maybe brooke read it to you my post earlier that said IM NOT A LAMECOCK. But you, as most clemtechs are, assuming you know what you speak. So just so I can show you to be a typical non-knowing clemtech fan............ GO DAWGS..... c u n '13. Oh and BTW Georgia is 5 and 0 the last 5 games! Just thought I'd toss that in there for you to stew on!!!!! LOL LOL LOL and to clarify, I know how you all like to twist things, I mean the last 5 games you have played us.... well, it speaks for itself..... HAVE A NICE DAY!

MoncksTater writes:

simple is as simple does . Clemson in 2013 ? You ain't gonna know what hit ya.

in response to MoncksTater:

simple is as simple does . Clemson in 2013 ? You ain't gonna know what hit ya.

comin from a spud.....can't wait....oh, and for the record, I'm not a watkins hater, I'm sure he's a great kid just made a mistake and needs to get a punishment like what anyone else in the NCAA would have to endure....'nuff said.

iptaytiger writes:

So, simpleman, why are you so concerned with Sammy? Why are you even on this Clemson site? Why the infatuation with Clemson? Is this the only site you troll? Do you have a life? a job? anything? Do you need a home?

TigerMarine writes:

What has Richt "the great" done about the other 4 gangbanger ball players of his that were in the car ? What's that u say NOTHING. So is he really stupid enough to believe that they didn't know he was carrying the heat. Heck yeah they knew but he's not gonna touch em because in our lousy judicial system they didn't warrant charges. 2 felony gun charges are worlds different than 3 misdemeanor possession charges! Dabo has always said the punishment will come later and that Sammy probably won't be able to avoid missing playing time.

in response to TigerMarine:

Jealousy does not become you....were there any charges against the other 4....NO...and to answer the other little tiglettes... no I wouldn't have went to c.u. had no desire to be a farmer...or whatever is taught there....and in answer to did I go to Georgia...no I was educated in the military...electrical to be specific.... so don't underestimate me. I just had good enough taste to be a Bulldog fan. As far as why I'm here...simple...Being as though I live in Anderson and have to put up with all the hype this area gives to a lesser team I plug mine every friggin chance I get...If you don't like it...ignore me....please...all ya hear is...dumbo this or dumbo that....he needs to grow a pair....thank you and as always HAVE A NICE DAY....oh one more thing...unless you have a lock on this forum, I'll use it whenever I please,,,,problem? then it's yours.....

in response to sennmanthetigerfan:

(This comment was removed by the site staff.)

Your dad? I was probably in an out before your dad even put on a uniform so I guess the standards were lowered after me...who are you to call ignorant...I'm stating plain and simple facts...if you can't handle them then you are the pathetic little wimp...people like you are the reason people like me come here to "stir the pot"...you guys know a lot about Pot huh? wannabe? are you assuming again? you know what happens when you clemtech people assume? you assume you are going to win a national championship or anything else for that matter...best be looking at Auburn...don't worry about the dawgs...and then you stoop to the clemson low of name calling..that shows in itself how pathetic you are little man..If you ever get a clue as to what you are speaking about it might be an interesting conversation. Thank God the clemson friends I do have, have a little class about them....not like you

FutureClemsonFootballPlayer writes:

Whoa guys, calm down. This is getting way outta hand. Simpleman, I dont care if you're a UCLA fan, or in the military. You're a Georgia fan you claim. Why don't you talk about what should be the best QB in the SEC next year in Murray. Why don't you complain about having a very underrated defense that held LSU for 1 full half. Do something other than call people out on A WEBSITE. The website is open, granted that, but it is made for Clemson fans to look and see what is happening in the college football program, not for those who would bash players and coaches. Even if you live in Anderson, is it wrong for one to boast of another's team? No it's not. Boast your own team, say the Bulldogs will beat Clemson when they play, BUT, do not insult the intergrity of Clemson coaches and athletes nor get into childish arguements over a website. As far as your comments towards Sammy, YES, everyone in Clemson thinks he should be penalized by suspension for 1 game. No, you do not have to rub it in our faces, It isn't the fault of the fans, it's Sammy's own fault and he will pay for it. Dabo took the test of Mike Bellamy and passed with Flying colors, so watch what you say about my future coach, because I could throw out more knowledge about today's college football than you could ever imagine.

Now, fellow Clemson Tigers, I don't really know if this guy is a troll, ignorant, or just another opinionated fan of another team. But, even if this man comes trolling through all the posts on this website, the best thing to do is to "not feed the troll", therefore saying do not call him out, he loves the attention and will try to keep it as much as he can. It is sad, but some people actually do that instead of working at their job, taking care of kids, or even truly fighting for our country. Now Georgia fans are in my top 3 of horrible fans and everyone else in the SEC will agree. 1 is LSU who tries to tip over the bus when facing a team like Western Carolina. 2 is USC, other teams hate coming to USC stadium because of the drunkeness, trash-throwing, and other acts of no sportsmanship, but Georgia is the #3 because of the "bow down to us" mentality that some of the fans carry around with them. Just do not respond, just respect their opinion and move on, do not get carried on by a monologue by an ignorant fan of another team that doesn't follow the going-ons of our team.

Thats all I gotta say. I may be young, but I hope yall learn. Go Tigers!

simpleman303 (Inactive) writes:

first of all future dude, I appreciate your forth right attitude. Secondly I was attacked as being a lamecock fan, which I'm not, obviously. Thirdly I did NOT attack until attacked... this is NOT my first nor my last post to any clemson article. I do not HATE clemson...and to talk about anyone elses fans being the way they are is nuts. clemson fans can and are just as obnoxious as anyone...not all fans just some... my postings about watkins came from another article and some of those here know what I'm talking about....as I said in a previous post, I'm sure he's as nice a little feller as you'd ever wanna meet.. just give him what others received for the same actions.... fair is fair...as far as senn...you are welcome as I served in the military so you and those like you can say the things you want in the name of freedom...

FutureClemsonFootballPlayer writes:

I understand you reacting as you did. I have reviewed the conversation many times. It is both the fault of the Clemson fans and you on this website to getting where it is now. And yes, I never said you couldn't post on this website. We may have freedom of speech, but that doesn't mean I can go up to the President and call him names without facing punishment. Everyone just needs to calm down, get off the computer, and go outside to do something, If you can't go outside, watch TV or something, just cool off. And simple, you are spot on, I've met some Clemson fans I wanted to punch in the face. And as for your comments from another website, why post them here, where some people do not know what you're talking about? This is why you were attacked. And yes, Dabo will punish him, if not, call him whatever you want, Sammy deserves to be punished but until then, do not insult Dabo's integrity especially after Bellamy and that 5'6 reciever who got kicked off after getting into trouble too many times. And yes, I am thankful for your serving in the military, but you have no right to flaunt it around like you were the only one fighting. We may can "say the things we want in the name of freedom", but that doesn't mean it can't go without punishment or retort. So I implore everyone to watch what they say on here in the future if you dont want this to happen again

in response to FutureClemsonFootballPlayer:

well, what do ya know... a clemson fan who talks with sense. I met a few of you but far and few between, it's a pleasure. If I did throw the military thing around it was in retaliation about my military service from another individual. Thank you for your calm head, believe it or not I do appreciate it. I don't want to start anything in this forum, but I also will not take anything. I have many clemson fans who I "pick"on (for the lack of a better phrase), but they are good friends and I get back as good as I give. as far as that little feller talking about me being on the computer it's my job...that's right J.O.B. Mr. Senn...(hope he don't need me to explain what that is)...sorry Future dude...couldn't help that one...

CU_Fightin_Dabos writes:

Hey simpleman303

do your fellow bulldogs a favor and act less like an idiot. Theres a reason why most Clemson fans look down on UGA, and you are part of it. Also last time I checked we do not have professors involved in prostitution rings.

If you want the NCAA to be "fair" then Georgia would have far worse punishments than it does now. Also if the NCAA were to punish players for pot then 60% of the Oregon team would be suspended. So yes they should be fair. If they are fair then they will not get involved as they have not in the past for such small issues.

CU_Fightin_Dabos writes:

simpleman303 either is stupid or an A-hole.

If he came here without realizing all he was going to do was make people mad then he is stupid.

If he came here intentionally trying to make people mad then he is an A-hole.

You might just want to shut up before you embarrass yourself.

FutureClemsonFootballPlayer writes:

lol you two.

greersc writes:

The only good thing coming out of Georgia is I-85.

in response to greersc:

The only good thing coming out of Georgia is I-85.

Or as we call it in Georgia, (ga tech calls it this too).... clemson's escape route.....LOL LOL LOL>.......HAVE A NICE DAY...

in response to sennmanthetigerfan:

(This comment was removed by the site staff.)

EXCEPT OURS GO TO ALABAMA....LOL...YOUR TURN..OH HAVE A NICE DAY

woodysc#238200 writes:

in response to simpleman303:

"use georgia for an example, suspend or toss"

For example, UGA starting cornerback Branden Smith was arrested on a marijuana charge on March 11, 2012. As of today, July 9, 2012, no discipline as been announced. The last Mark Richt has said about it was on June 12, 2012: “We’re not ready to say anything publicly,” Georgia coach Mark Richt said. “I guess that’s all I’ll say.”

Speaking of pot, have you ever heard the story about it name calling the kettle?

in response to woodysc#238200:

"use georgia for an example, suspend or toss"

just wondering how much of these comments you have read...we are past that point...guess you want to hash it up some more....and just how many have clemson kicked off their team for infractions or just being ignorant.....oh and for your information smith will NOT be playing in the first game as will about 4 or 5 others on our team....your next comment will be...........

woodysc#238200 writes:

in response to simpleman303:

Seriously? You criticize Dabo for not yet announcing a punishment and that he should follow Georgia's example, yet Richt has not announced a punishment on one of his starters getting arrested for marijuana (a couple of months before Watkins arrest.) You may expect Smith to be suspended as we expect Watkins to be suspended but UGA's coach has not publicly said so.
I don't care what sort of petty insults you've moved on to. The hypocrisy of your initial post deserved comment.

If you care to post any public comments from Richt concerning the Smith arrest other than his "We're not ready to say anything publicly" comment from mid-June (3 months after the arrest), please do so.
I'm not criticizing UGa for having players arrested. I'm criticizing you for implying that UGa coaches have handled each of those arrests differently than Clemson has.

simpleman303 (Inactive) writes:

PATHETIC....lets just leave it at....See you in '13..... 5-0 the last 5 and 6 out of the last 7.....belong to Ga,go argue that point. as will the next 2...and as always....HAVE A NICE DAY

in response to woodysc#238200:

"use georgia for an example, suspend or toss"

here's your answer, genius, it was in the april 14th, thats right april 14th, 2012 edition of the Anderson Independent Mail, or like I call it the clemson gazette. anyway, Baccari Rambo, out 4 games, drug tests. Sanders Commings, 2 games, domestic violence, BRANDEN SMITH 1 game, poss. of marijuana. There is your discipline my man, now get DABO to follow. As you can see another case of the kettle wanting to call the pot black but can't....sorry..NEXT....oh, and as always...HAVE A NICE DAY......

simpleman303 (Inactive) writes:

hmmm guess I shut 'em up finally, can't get anyone to argue with the FACTS!! LOL LOL....c ya losers....