Brent Venables takes Clemson defensive coordinator job

Oklahoma defensive coordinator Brent Venables (AP Photo)

Oklahoma defensive coordinator Brent Venables (AP Photo)

— Late Wednesday night, Dabo Swinney got his man. .

The (Charleston) Post and Courier reported that Swinney sent a text saying "BV to Clemson. Go Tigers."

Unless you were living under a rock Wednesday, "BV" is Brent Venables, who Swinney has chased for the past week as his new defensive coordinator.

Venables replaces Kevin Steele, who Clemson announced will not return for the 2012 season following a disappointing 2011 campaign that wrapped up with a 70-33 Orange Bowl loss to West Virginia.

Venables also confirmed to The Oklahoman newspaper that he has accepted a job at Clemson.

The late-night text messages ended a wild, back-and-forth Wednesday with conflicting reports of Venables' status on both sides. He is expected to be introduced as the Tigers' new DC as early as Friday.

Wednesday afternoon, CUTigers.com reported that Venables' contract had been sent to CU's Board of Trustees for approval.

However, the Tulsa World reported that Venables said, via text message, “I’m staying” with Oklahoma.

Venables told SoonerScoop.com, a Rivals.com affiliate, via text that he was "working through some final details" and "nothing was final either way yet."

Venables is an original member of Bob Stoops’ Oklahoma coaching staff, hired by Stoops in 1999.

He just finished his 13th season as the Sooners’ defensive coordinator, but is looking for a fresh start. Last week, Stoops announced that his younger brother Mike was rejoining the staff and serving as co-defensive coordinator with Venables. The two shared the same position from 1999-2003, when Mike left to become Arizona’s head coach, but Venables had been the lone DC for the last eight seasons. It wasn’t clear who would have playcalling duties, but returning to shared responsibilities would be a clear step back for Venables.

According to published reports, Venables makes near $500,000 annually at Oklahoma. While the Sooners were willing to offer a raise, they reportedly can’t match Clemson’s offer, which is expected to nearly double his current salary.

Like Steele, Venables coaches linebackers. He has led strong defenses at Oklahoma; two years ago, the Sooners were seventh nationally in both scoring and total defense. However, they slipped to 53rd nationally in 2010 and 55th nationally in 2011, allowing 241 yards passing per game (79th nationally).

However, those numbers could be a function of going against stronger offenses as a whole. This year, Big 12 offenses averaged 34.5 points per game, best among BCS leagues. They averaged 76.2 plays per game, which was also a BCS-high.

The ACC, meanwhile, averaged 27 points per game – lowest among BCS leagues, and 68.5 plays per game, third-lowest among BCS leagues.

Meanwhile, Oklahoma, No.1 nationally in plays per game a year ago with 87.6, ran 80.9 per game this year, both clear functions of a fast-paced offense.

However, the Sooners did lead the Big 12 in scoring defense this season, allowing 22.1 points per game, 31st nationally.

Venables is the only candidate believed to have received a serious interview from Swinney; he visited Clemson last Saturday and Sunday. Former Miami coach Randy Shannon was expected to receive an interview, but Swinney spent the week recruiting, not on campus focusing on candidates.

Last week, he said he had multiple candidates in mind, but wasn’t opposed to making a quick decision.

“All I can do is follow through on the process,” he said. “When I know I’ll know, like I did last year (when hiring Chad Morris as offensive coordinator). I couldn’t deny my gut and what I thought was the best thing.

“It might be a little out of the box. It might be tonight, and it might be in two weeks.”

I agree that Venables would be the best available, but if I had to bet, I'd say Dabo and TDP are going to hire Randy Shannon.

tyeargin writes:

in response to 33dtb:

Randy Shannon would be a much better choice than Veneables .

Good !!

Good man.

Go Tigers !!

CootSlapper writes:

in response to 33dtb:

Good !!

Good man.

Go Tigers !!

Dabo has hired a second coordinator in as many years..and this one looks even better than the first ! Morris came in and completely turned around our offensive fortunes...and I expect Venables will do much the same. Coaching against those dazzling Big12 offenses should give us a guy that can both scheme against the spread and the spread option. Also , he is suposed to be a top recruiter..a really intense guy that motivates his players. I'm very turned on by this hire...and I'm not afraid to share that.

in response to tyeargin:

Randy Shannon would be a much better choice than Veneables .

Look at the numbers.

Besides, Shannon hasn't been a DC in a while; and there has been a lot of offensive evolution in the last few years.

Venables has kept up as well as any and better than most.

TnTiger writes:

Great hire Dabo! Can't wait to see BV's impact on our team. It will be so nice to be able to stop GaTech's veer, the zone read and mobile QB's.

CootSlapper writes:

Finally .... and he's a top tier recruiter as well. Clemson is going to be very very good..again .

GetCocky68 writes:

Same old story, different day. I remember the same high praise for Steele just a few years ago. What happened? Stopping mobile QB's...probably not. How did he do with RG3 from Baylor? Didn't stop Texas Tech, nor Okie State either. As previously stated last week, your problem wasn't Kevin Steele...it's that head cheerleader...Dumbo Weenee. Write it down, your problems will continue.

Slarn3584 writes:

in response to GetCocky68:

Dabo isn't the problem. Kevin Steele is a good coach. He just couldn't figure out how to stop option teams and athletic QB's. As far as BV is concerned he's an excellent DC. GetCocky68 you brought up RG3, Texas Tech and OK State from this past season, but what about the previous 13 years? Oklahoma, with BV's defense, consistently beat Mike Leach's "high-powered" offenses at Texas Tech, held their own with Texas (when Texas was consistently in the top 10), and beat the rest of the Big 12. How 'bout those National Championships he was a part of? But, hey, you're a Carolina fan so I guess it's in your best in interest to forget the past.

porkchop writes:

BV excellent choice. 3 reasons.
1. He is in physical good shape personally(example to players)
2. He is intense.(defense needs intensity)
3. He has good hair.

lhaselden writes:

Randy Shannon's D at Miami never led the ACC in scoring defense nor total defense. Veneble's D led the B12 last year in scoring D, probably the B12 set a record last year for most points / game by all teams. All the teams could put up points in a hurry.

TrevorT writes:

Clemson could hire Nick Saban, Les Miles, and Bear Bryant's ghost and Carolina fans would come on this site to tell us why they are all such terrible coaches. This is obviously a very strong hire. In fact, just last week a gamecock was on this board letting us know how a great coach like Venables would never leave OK to come to Clemson. Now all of a sudden he's a chump. I'm curious just what makes getcocky such a coaching expert. How many major level college programs have you coached in?... How about high school?... PeeWee league? Well, thanks anyway for your brilliant insight! Well done Dabo and GO TIGERS!

GetCocky68 writes:

in response to TrevorT:

Enjoying some laughter...Stirred up the Tiggers...huh. Somehow, I just don't see Miles or Saban having an interest in Clemsux, nor the EZZ. Now, if you can pull off the Bear deal...that would be downright impressive. In a year or two, all of you will be here calling for BV's head. As far as coaching...probably more than you. Good luck with your hire, and you're quite welcome.

CootSlapper writes:

GetCocky68 is a typical Coot fan...all mouthy when they have an actual reason to brag...with an IQ of 68 I'm. Surprised by his typing skill. Venables is a terrific hire...and with his record and the level of competition he has coached for and against Clemson hit a home run ....GetCocky68 reminds us that even the mentally deficient can find outlets online .

in response to GetCocky68:

All-Time Series Clemson leads, 65-40-4

Longest Clem Win Streak 7 (1934–1940)

Longest USC Win Streak 4 (1951–1954)

GetCocky68 writes:

in response to 33dtb:

All-Time Series Clemson leads, 65-40-4

Longest Clem Win Streak 7 (1934–1940)

Longest USC Win Streak 4 (1951–1954)

Here we go again...another Tigger living in the past. Just tell me this..what's your coach of the year's record against Carolina?? I think we all know the answer to that one. Now, for ole Cooter. I do appreciate all those fine compliments you bestowed upon me. I hope you enjoy the following compliments for you. In the event no one has told you...a coot is in the duck family. Secondly, you might wish to obtain a 4th grade book on punctuation. Perhaps you could get a friend, or your mommy, to read and explain it to you. And lastly, the 68IQ was humorous. Best guess, about 30 points higher than yours. Now, I've had my say, and at this time will no longer engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent...such as you. Have yourself a nice day.

TigerMob writes:

in response to GetCocky68:

Well GetCocky68 I see you on here more than Tiger fans you must bleed orange under those garnet and black clothes you wear. USC beats Clemson 3 years in a row good for them but where the heck was you hiding the past 100 years when Clemson was handing out butt kickings to your gamecocks bet you wasn't on here. What do you guys think USC is going to do when the OBC leaves cause lets not kid ourselves thats the only reason USC gets any kind of good recruits, don't believe me ask any recruit and they say i really want to play for Spurrier not USC. The OBC is what 68 or 69 how long do you think he really wants to coach and don't hand me the bull "Oh he just signed a new contract" cause we all know you do that for the guaranteed money and to get every dime you can get rather you stay or not. Trust me there isn't another big time coach that wants to come to USC just because they hate Florida and want to stick it to them, don't believe just look how he acts when they beat Florida running around kissing his coaches and dry humping there legs. So just close your eyes and hope you can fall asleep and keep dreaming that USC will stay relevant after he leaves cause the alarm is about to sound and when you wake USC will be back in the bottom of the barrel STILL looking up at Clemson cause as the great Dabo once said South Carolina ain't Clemson and you never will be.

in response to GetCocky68:

"Living in the past",huh?

My whole history of growing up in South Carolina consisted of hearing Gamecocks saying, "WAIT 'TILL NEXT YEAR".
Rather "live in the past" than always "living in the future". Note above that our longest string is the longer. Gamecock's string is about to run out. OBC is just that, OLD.

aiken_tiger writes:

in response to GetCocky68:

Haha, seriously man. Please just go log into gamecocksonline.com and talk about your team. We're happy with our new hire, and we look forward to playing you guys in November.

aiken_tiger writes:

in response to porkchop:

BV excellent choice. 3 reasons.
1. He is in physical good shape personally(example to players)
2. He is intense.(defense needs intensity)
3. He has good hair.

Lol - excellent post. Succinct.

aiken_tiger writes:

in response to TrevorT:

Indeed Trevor - I second that. Hope BV can make an immediate impact. I'm sure he'll feel at home quickly, and think he's got what it takes to bond with the players and make them a little mean at the same time.