Notes: Tajh Boyd's happy he picked Clemson

Chad Morris

Chad Morris

ATLANTA – A highly recruited high school quarterback out of Phoebus High School in Virginia, Clemson junior quarterback Tajh Boyd is now well-established as the Tigers’ field general.

But when it came time to make his choice of colleges, his pick of Clemson over Ohio State and Oregon came as something of a surprise – especially since the Tiger program was in the midst of a major transition.

Clemson out to prove, but SEC not a factor

None

“Coach (Dabo) Swinney had just been named head coach, there was a lot of unanswered questions in the program,” Boyd recalled on Saturday during a Chick-fil-A bowl news conference. “But when I got a chance to sit down with them and talk to them, and hear about his life experiences, how he can help me grow, not just as a player but as a man, I don' think I could have gone anywhere else or a better place.”

Boyd admitted there were more “sexy” choices.

“There's a lot of schools that are easy on the eye,” he said. “You go out to Oregon and Ohio States, those are two of my favorites, and some place that any player or any quarterback wants to play in an exciting offense wants to play in. First couple of years it was a different type of deal but when (offensive coordinator Chad Morris) came in, it was a blessing in disguise.”

GAME PLAN? JUST DO IT

Morris said there’s no special formula for what his spread offense needs to do against LSU on Monday. The plan that has been in place through 12 games will also be in effect tomorrow.

“I think the thing that we have to do is we have to be able to come out and play our game and do what we do,” Morris said. “I think anybody, at this stage of the season, better worry about yourself. I've been saying that all year long is it's more about the Clemson Tigers than it is LSU Tigers, and we have got to make sure that we do what we do.”

CHAVIS IN CHARGE

LSU defensive coordinator John Chavis is a Dillon native who has enjoyed one of the most successful careers as an assistant in college football history.

The winner of the 2011 National Assistant Coach of the Year award, Chavis has worked for both Les Miles and Phil Fulmer, producing defenses that ranked in the top four in the SEC four times while coaching 13 All-Americans and 38 All-SEC selections.

So is there a head coaching gig on the horizon for the 56-year old?

It all depends.

“My stance has always been the same: I want to win,” Chavis said. “Winning is most important to me and I want to win at the highest level. I want to coach kids and be a part of their life and that’s the exciting thing. I can do that as a coordinator and I’ll be honest, I can do it as a linebacker coach.

“If somebody says give up one of your titles today, I’d pick coaching linebackers.”

Still, Chavis said he would be open to a head coaching job if it offered a chance to succeed at a high level.

“If an opportunity came where I could be a head coach, in a program like LSU, at that level, certainly I would consider that option. But I like winning.”

ONE WHO GOT AWAY

Sam Montgomery had a stellar career at Greenwood High, and his exploits in the college game have brought him even more honors.

The LSU defensive end was a freshman All-SEC selection in 2010 and last year he was a finalist for the Ted Hendricks Defensive End of the Year honor.

Sights & Sounds: Clemson wins CFA Bowl Challenge

None

Heavily recruited by both Clemson and South Carolina in-state, Montgomery is a mainstay of the Bayou Bengals’ defense.

Heading into Monday’s game against Clemson in the Georgia Dome Montgomery has 15 unassisted tackles including 12 totaling 51 yards in losses.

“Sam got hurt, but then he came back from it and came big bigger and stronger and faster,” LSU coach Les Miles said. “Since his injury, in my opinion, he’s had a little chip on his shoulder.

“He’s been a tremendous leader for us. He gives us a very physical yet athletic end that, frankly, you want him on the field when the game is to be decided.”

MoncksTater writes:

Lets be realistic..a 4* kid from Greenwood snubs both Division 1 in state schools to go 700 miles away from home ....money changed hands. The SEC is probably using about 1/3 of its tv deal payout as a recruiting fund. Sackerlina has never in its history had the type of talent that it has right now...and its not brain-science to figure out how this has transpired. Cheaters are more often caught than not...so even though they cheated and were given zero punishment in 2011 for giving out more than 50k in illegal benefits ...they will eventually screw it up. Clemson might want to consider planting some moles in ColaTown..because cheating means continued success against us if it isnt curtailed.

KIMOSAMI (Inactive) writes:

How do you explain Sammy Watkins coming 700 miles from Fort Meyers to school at Clemson?
Sammy and Dabo are as honest as they come. Same with Tajh. Chad Kelley came 1200. He has NFL pedigree in family. Many similar stories. The guy probably was just enchanted with LSU. Who's to know why? Maybe he just wanted to get away from home. Grow up on his own.

As far as South Carolina....unless you have proof, I don't think it's wise to sling accusations. I think you're right about the talent level though. This is definitely their Zenith as far as football history.

Unfortunately for them, they can't seem to realize that ALL things are cyclical. Even football fortunes. Not long ago, Alabama was a doormat. Any one remember David Shula? Or was it Mike? It definetely wasn't Don...and they weren't the Dolphins, either!

They'd be wise not to crow so loud.

And to continue with your premise...if they have more skeletons in their closet and the closet gets opened and they get put on probation....they don't have the tradition to sustain their present high riding wave.

FlopEye writes:

You darn tooting. I remember in the early 80's
when S.Car. got put on 2 year probation by the
N.C.A.A. and an extra year was added by the A.C.C.
No wait, my bad. It was Clemson that was hit with
those sanctions. If you are going to throw those
stones, you need to move out of your glass house.

omnipotent1 writes:

Tahj, we are glad you picked Clemson, too.

MoncksTater writes:

Lotsa Coot sympathizers on this site. Is an opinion wrong ? I guess speculation and opinion are somehow illegal if it disagrees with your own ? Glass houses aside..I was being objective when I said that Sackerlina has improved by ignoring the rules...and somehow they got the NCAA Infractions comittee to ignore them as well. The Ol Ball Hat must have some deep pockets to match his infinite smirkface.

TRUTH4U2 writes:

in response to MoncksTater:

I guess if you cant beat them, then they must be cheating.

lhaselden writes:

in response to MoncksTater:

Spurrier has a few years where he far out recruited Clemson. Spurrier is many things some good some irritating especially to those who play against him. But I have seen few coaches as meticulous about following recruiting rules. Money may be changing hands at many schools and Spurrier is in favor of a larger stipend for football players and it will likely happen. But I would lay money on Spurrier not being aware of any money changing hands between fans and his players. If he knew about it the player would be gone and the fan would be banned.
I do not like Spurrier but then we play against him!

Lynx26 writes:

What's w/ all the Lil girl -cheating talk? I'm a former player and die hard Clemson fan in every sport. For a "man" to blame another for cheating when it has nothin to do w/ performance enhancing drugs or false points on the scoreboard.... Is pathetic and rediculous!
Let the kids go where the heck they want to go! I'm from MD and played in SC - it's common get over it! We'll all continue to man up and play ball, softy.

Yo former player,
We aren't talking about flag football here.
What did you do, glue the flag to the belt?
Nothing good ever came out of Maryland.

MoncksTater writes:

The Coot is strong with these people. Nobody cheats , everybody cheats ..Spurrier is top notch and a real stand up dude !
There are about 65 reasons why we should be better than Sackerlina ...

radtiger writes:

in response to lhaselden:

I do not like Spurrier but then we play against him!

I agree with Ihaselden 100%, Spurrier is a man of honesty, whether you like him or not....